The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-21-2021, 08:40 AM
Tnfiddler Tnfiddler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Middle Tn
Posts: 2,361
Default How many of you compare your guitars, back to back?

While practicing for an upcoming gig, last night. I decided to play my Bourgeois AT Vintage D Banjo Killer and my Reimagined D41 back to back to see how they compare. I was playing along to the same song, using the same pick, they have the same strings, I was sitting in the exact same position, well trying to do everything the same. Folks, it's CLOSE! Looks-wise isn't a competition at all, because the Ambertone finish combined with the Style 40 abalone is a combination that I think is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen. Overall Fit and finish is extremely close and I'll give the edge to Bourgeois since their finish is more rugged and doesn't haze and mar up like the Martin does. The D41 has a little more bottom end but it's extremely close due to the Bourgeois have double scalloped torreried bracing. The Bourgeois has more overall volume, but it's closer than I would've thought it would be. I'm going to say that tone is a VERY CLOSE tie! They both sound amazing with little subletities that make each one unique and different. The Bourgeois has a little more balance and more of what I would call a sparkle to the tone that gives it more clarity and note separation. I can't take away anything from the 41 though, because it's so smooth and is a phenomenal guitar for playing country rhythm on. If a person were trying to decide between these guitars for a purchase, they'd have to go back and forth playing them and it would be a tough decision. I'm going to try to find a way to get both of them recorded with good equipment and get some sound samples on so I can do a blind test and let you decide which one you like the best.
__________________
Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!



2019 Bourgeois ďBanjo KillerĒ Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
2006 Charles J. Horner Fiddle
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2021, 08:45 AM
fitness1's Avatar
fitness1 fitness1 is offline
Musical minimalist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Central Lower Michigan
Posts: 19,520
Default

Every time I receive a new guitar, or am trying to decide whether to let one go, I do this very thing for several hours over several days.

I'd tell you to save time on the recording, and just play a couple feet away from a wall in a sitting position so the guitars are making little contact with your body. This will give you a more true picture of their tonal characteristics.
__________________
"One small heart, and a great big soul that's driving"

Charis SJ Koa/BC Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Cordoba Solista EIR/Euro Spruce

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2021, 08:57 AM
brencat's Avatar
brencat brencat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
While practicing for an upcoming gig, last night. I decided to play my Bourgeois AT Vintage D Banjo Killer and my Reimagined D41 back to back to see how they compare. I was playing along to the same song, using the same pick, they have the same strings, I was sitting in the exact same position, well trying to do everything the same. Folks, it's CLOSE! Looks-wise isn't a competition at all, because the Ambertone finish combined with the Style 40 abalone is a combination that I think is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen. Overall Fit and finish is extremely close and I'll give the edge to Bourgeois since their finish is more rugged and doesn't haze and mar up like the Martin does. The D41 has a little more bottom end but it's extremely close due to the Bourgeois have double scalloped torreried bracing. The Bourgeois has more overall volume, but it's closer than I would've thought it would be. I'm going to say that tone is a VERY CLOSE tie! They both sound amazing with little subletities that make each one unique and different. The Bourgeois has a little more balance and more of what I would call a sparkle to the tone that gives it more clarity and note separation. I can't take away anything from the 41 though, because it's so smooth and is a phenomenal guitar for playing country rhythm on. If a person were trying to decide between these guitars for a purchase, they'd have to go back and forth playing them and it would be a tough decision. I'm going to try to find a way to get both of them recorded with good equipment and get some sound samples on so I can do a blind test and let you decide which one you like the best.
I've heard your Bourgeois and despite the banjo killer bracing, it's very similar to mine in many ways. The biggest differences between the D-Vintage and a Martin Rosewood dread to me are:

-- Bourgeois has a clear and clean reverby lower register. The Martin bass goes boom and overpowers everything else.
-- Bourgeois is more fundamental sounding, despite being Rosewood. A Martin is much more chimey.
-- Bourgeois upper mids and highs decay quicker. Martin highs ring longer and hang in the air longer too.

So they sound nothing alike to me, personally.
__________________
SCGC | Merrill | Collings
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2021, 08:57 AM
JAMKC JAMKC is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 857
Default Also!

Funny enough I did this just last night with my 00's, one rosewood and one mahogany and they are very different!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2021, 09:14 AM
catdaddy catdaddy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backroads of Florida
Posts: 5,803
Default

I often play my guitars back to back, but never to compare them. Each of the guitars I own are purposely very different (size/woods/scale length/brand). They each have their individual strengths and weaknesses, and there is very little similarity in how they sound or how I use them. For me, I see no need to have two guitars that are quite similar as my old ears probably aren't keen enough to parse subtle differences.
__________________

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'


You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-21-2021, 09:27 AM
rgregg48 rgregg48 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky
Posts: 3,424
Default

Mine has super secret ultra torrifed
Space age scalloped,broken in with a 19 foot high
Experimental tonerite developed by NASA
But it seems the b string is a little weak!
__________________
3 classical guitars
two steel string guitars
one mandolin
One banjo
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-21-2021, 09:31 AM
mawmow mawmow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Quebec city, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,208
Default

Every time I get a new guitar, I play it daily for a while, change strings and may even make some string trials.
Then I would often time take two guitars side by side and play "pieces of the day" alternating the guitars.
It helps me refine my ear and appreciate sound characteristics of each guitar.
Ultimately, it helps deciding whether I keep or let go a guitar.
__________________
Needed some nylons, a wide range of acoustics and some weirdos to be happy...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-21-2021, 09:32 AM
llew llew is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 10,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I often play my guitars back to back, but never to compare them. Each of the guitars I own are purposely very different (size/woods/scale length/brand). They each have their individual strengths and weaknesses, and there is very little similarity in how they sound or how I use them. For me, I see no need to have two guitars that are quite similar as my old ears probably aren't keen enough to parse subtle differences.
My problem (if you want to call it that?) is I always seem to be thinking of a different guitar than the one currently in my lap. Maybe that's a sign that I've reached saturation point?
__________________
Jim
You can never do the wrong thing by doing the right thing...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-21-2021, 10:01 AM
J-Doug J-Doug is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,333
Default

I never A/B/C/D/E/F/G my guitars. For me it gets in the way of productive practicing and being musical. And since my guitars are all so different, some guitar(s) comes out seeming like the loser due to an unfair comparison. I don't need to be thinking that way. YMMV.
__________________
Doug, guitar player of variable quality for over 35 years.

Gibson: J-45 Standard, L-1 Blues Tribute, L-00 Vintage, J-185 Original
Martin: 000-18MC, 000-28VS
National: Triolian 12 Fret

My Recordings
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-21-2021, 10:01 AM
boneuphtoner boneuphtoner is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 594
Default

Whenever I try out something new and consider purchasing it, I always compare it against something that I know well. Although I'm quick to notice if something seems better or worse than what I'm used to, it is difficult for me personally to realize how much difference there is in the absence of a known comparator. When I picked up my RainSong last week, I immediately noticed an improvement in the fullness of tone in the treble register - but it wasn't until I compared it with a couple of my instruments that I realized how big of an improvement that it was (realizing that this fullness of tone in trebles would not be a good thing if you like zingy brighter sounding trebles with strumming, etc.).

Last edited by boneuphtoner; 01-21-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-21-2021, 10:06 AM
warfrat73 warfrat73 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 1,868
Default

I do once in a while... did last night a bit, but it's not a regular occurrence.

I wonder if you'd think they were so close if you were sitting out in front listening to them.
__________________
"What have I learned but the proper use for several tools" -Gary Snyder

Bourgeois DR-A / Martin CS D-18 (Adi & flamed hog) / Martin OM-21 / Martin 000-17sm / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E1OM / Eastman E6D
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-21-2021, 10:12 AM
UncleJesse's Avatar
UncleJesse UncleJesse is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: STL
Posts: 2,638
Default

Admittedly I do it too much. For instance, this Iris DF has me rethinking if I really am the rosewood dread kind of guy I thought I was

I do it with picks all the time. 4 bluechips, 2 charmed life, 1 casein, and a dunlop 207. And that's not even counting the 3 bluechips I sent to my dad to try out!
__________________
Collings * Crowder * Edmonds * Iris
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-21-2021, 10:40 AM
Haasome's Avatar
Haasome Haasome is offline
Charter Picker
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I never A/B/C/D/E/F/G my guitars. For me it gets in the way of productive practicing and being musical. And since my guitars are all so different, some guitar(s) comes out seeming like the loser due to an unfair comparison. I don't need to be thinking that way. YMMV.
Iím with you here. I might drag a couple out to play, but not to compare. I really think back and forth comparing means the goal is comparing guitars and not finding out what music you can play with each of them. Find guitars you like, then enjoy them - is my motto.
__________________
Paul
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-21-2021, 10:41 AM
sayheyjeff sayheyjeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,714
Default

I have 2 or 3 out all the time and am constantly switching back and forth. I donít really think of it as a competition to see which is best. The guitars are pretty different and I like to see how they sound on everything I play. Itís just part of the fun.

Jeff
__________________
Flammang RS35, Lowden F38, Santa Cruz PJ, Santa Cruz OM, Martin 0018vs, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-21-2021, 10:51 AM
DanR DanR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Clair Shores, MI
Posts: 2,033
Default

Of my three acoustic guitars, I've only compared my HD-28 and J-45 since they're both similarly sized. They each have their own tonal thing going which is why I have both. My 00-18 is for fingerpickiing and I feel there is no need to compare it with the others.

For about four months last year I had both my 00-18 and a 000-18. I was only going to keep one as I felt it was quite extravagant (at least for me) to have both. I did compare them quite extensively and ended up keeping the 00-18 as I felt the tone for fingerpicking was more of what I wanted to hear.
__________________
===================================
'14 Martin HD-28
'07 Gibson J-45 '68 Reissue
'20 Martin 00-18
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=