The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 01-21-2021, 02:05 AM
aK_bAsh7 aK_bAsh7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Here's the positive - you know more now then you did three months ago. That will help you in your endeavor in finding a guitar(s).

You are correct - tone is very subjective. Our ears are all different and they change over time as we age.

$5k is a great budget. What is still on your list to try as a potential buy? Any great stores within an 8 hour return drive? Makes a great day trip with a potential lifer guitar.
Gryphon is about 3.5 hours away but their stock has been pretty low, for some time. I'm 64 and don't really want to spend more time than that on the freeway. I could get what I want in terms of neck/nut if I went custom, but the prospect of paying up front and commiting to a guitar I've never played is a gamble I'm not willing to take on. I can't think of anything else to try, which is why I've decided to just stop the search at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-21-2021, 02:15 AM
FoxHound4690 FoxHound4690 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 458
Default

When it comes to the tone of a guitar there's one aspect that majority of people tend to overlook because they're so obsessed over what tone woods their guitars have in them. and that aspect is build quality.

How well a guitar is put together reflects its tone more so than almost anything else. your guitars top, back and sides are the main pieces of wood that deliver the experience but if those pieces of wood aren't able to co-operate with each other. the guitar isn't resonating the way it otherwise could be.

Line up ten guitars, play each one. nine of the guitars will play, but there's one that will sing. the guitar that sings is the one with the highest level of build quality every time.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-21-2021, 03:25 AM
Rmccamey Rmccamey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 168
Default

Good job! You just summarized every thread in every guitar forum that ever has been or ever will be! I may put that list in my signature.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
I've spent the past three months searching for a "better" guitar than my Martin custom D15 rswd/adi and after spending about $800 to ship guitars back and forth and playing various guitars locally, I've failed to find an instrument that offers the playability and the sound I'm after for my 5K budget.

I did get something for the $ I spent, in educational terms.

I learned:

1) youtube sound-clips are not reliable for my needs
2) there are far more neck profiles I don't like than I like
3) if guitar has a 1 11/16 nut, it's most likely got a neck profile I don't like
(or vice versa)
4) price/name on headstock is no guarantee of pleasing tone
5)tone is even more subjective than I thought when I started

I appreciate all the responses and suggestions from members. At this point,
I'm going to get back to playing.
__________________
If ya got time to breath, ya got time for music!
Briscoe Darling
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-21-2021, 03:54 AM
Scotso Scotso is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,166
Default

Glad you have a guitar you love and that inspires you.
__________________
bunch of stuff but less every year
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-21-2021, 06:16 AM
EZYPIKINS EZYPIKINS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 777
Default

When I found my #1 acoustic, I wasn't really looking to buy an acoustic. Had been doing one set per night with acoustic. Most acoustics don't really turn me on. Being in the playing position (behind the guitar) I don't hear the same thing as when sitting across from it. Once I played my J-185 my views changed. In both tone , and playability. Today I play it 2-3 hours a day. Being retired helps. I used to only play at rehearsal. Hadn't played at home for years and years, before I retired. It's not for everyone. But it's definitely worth a look. If you can find one.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-21-2021, 06:55 AM
catdaddy catdaddy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backroads of Florida
Posts: 5,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
Well, the Bourgeois necks are fairly slim and it's not hard to find them with
1 23/32 nuts, so Dana must be doing OK with them. I could happily play one of those necks. But, as I've said, they leave me cold, sound-wise.
I also get along well with the Bourgeois neck profile. For years, I too was left cold by the sound of every Bourgeois that I came across. Then, to my surprise I picked up one that hit the sweet spot of tone and playability for me. It may be that there's a unicorn Bourgeois out there that you'll find to your liking, so if/when you run across one at least give it a try. You just never know..
__________________

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'


You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-21-2021, 07:30 AM
Goodallboy Goodallboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: East TN
Posts: 6,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
Gryphon is about 3.5 hours away but their stock has been pretty low, for some time. I'm 64 and don't really want to spend more time than that on the freeway, at this point. I could get what I want in terms of neck/nut if I went custom, but the prospect of paying up front and commiting to a guitar I've never played doesn't sit right with me. At this point, I can't think of anything else to try, which is why I've decided to simply stop.
Good, you’ve just avoided more wasted money.

Getting “what you want” isn’t about specs, that’s the first misconception advanced by guitar discussions in a forum setting, so avoiding the custom route was probably a good idea in your case.

There’s nothing wrong with stopping the pursuit. Sometimes you end up with the right guitar coming along when you’ve stopped over reaching.

I found the best new guitar I’ve played in many years and it’s not even made of wood, so go figure.
__________________
McCollum Grand Auditorum Euro Spruce/Brazilian
PRS Hollowbody Spruce
PRS SC58
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-21-2021, 08:33 AM
srick's Avatar
srick srick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,969
Default

aK_bAsh7-

I believe many of us have been in the same spot. My present guitar, a Bourgeois 00 Country Boy was discovered by accident. In 2014, I had been trying various guitars over the course of a year hoping to move up from my Guild GAD30. That year, I paid a visit to 'The Music Emporium' in Lexington, MA - a very observant sales associate, Andy Cambria, was able to home in on exactly what I was looking for; he handed me the Bourgeois and my face lit up. So, I believe that the right guitar is out there waiting.

My guess is that over time and testing many guitars, our brains, ears and muscles figure out what we don't want, and then, when a guitar with adequate parameters shows up, the light goes off and the bells start to ring.

Bottom line, keep looking and enjoy the journey.

best,

Rick

PS - A used guitar has hopefully already begun to open up in its sound and playability. My Bourgeois was four years old when I purchased it (consignment). It looked like it had never been played. Over the past six years, it has continued to blossom. The guitar is now 10 years old and keeps sounding better every year. Factory built new guitars always sound muted and tight to me. Luthier built guitars seem to be ready to sing straight out of the case.
__________________
”Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.”
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-21-2021, 09:38 AM
mawmow mawmow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Quebec city, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,208
Default

I am inclined to fully agree with you !

That said, even day to day, my own hearing seems to change
so a guitar pleases my ears more some day amd less some other day.

Neck profile is another chapter : as far as I can remember, my fretting hand
quite adapted to any neck profile, from flat Taylor to Martin modified V necks
and chunky others.
__________________
Needed some nylons, a wide range of acoustics and some weirdos to be happy...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-21-2021, 10:30 AM
CASD57 CASD57 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
I've spent the past three months searching for a "better" guitar than my Martin custom D15 rswd/adi and after spending about $800 to ship guitars back and forth and playing various guitars locally, I've failed to find an instrument that offers the playability and the sound I'm after for my 5K budget.



I did get something for the $ I spent, in educational terms.



I learned:



1) youtube sound-clips are not reliable for my needs

2) there are far more neck profiles I don't like than I like

3) if guitar has a 1 11/16 nut, it's most likely got a neck profile I don't like

(or vice versa)

4) price/name on headstock is no guarantee of pleasing tone

5)tone is even more subjective than I thought when I started



I appreciate all the responses and suggestions from members. At this point,

I'm going to get back to playing.
Hopefully you used the same pick, if not your going to have to start over using the same pic
The wrong pic can make the right guitar wrong.
__________________
Play like your the only one in the room...........


Join AGF Zoom Open Mic...Watch Your Fellow AGF'ers Play and Join In............
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=580877
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-22-2021, 12:54 AM
aK_bAsh7 aK_bAsh7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
When it comes to the tone of a guitar there's one aspect that majority of people tend to overlook because they're so obsessed over what tone woods their guitars have in them. and that aspect is build quality.

How well a guitar is put together reflects its tone more so than almost anything else. your guitars top, back and sides are the main pieces of wood that deliver the experience but if those pieces of wood aren't able to co-operate with each other. the guitar isn't resonating the way it otherwise could be.

Line up ten guitars, play each one. nine of the guitars will play, but there's one that will sing. the guitar that sings is the one with the highest level of build quality every time.
Seems to me you're leaving a major component out of your equation-- the subjective aspect! A guitar that "sings" to you may not to someone else.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-22-2021, 12:57 AM
aK_bAsh7 aK_bAsh7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Good, you’ve just avoided more wasted money.

Getting “what you want” isn’t about specs, that’s the first misconception advanced by guitar discussions in a forum setting, so avoiding the custom route was probably a good idea in your case.

There’s nothing wrong with stopping the pursuit. Sometimes you end up with the right guitar coming along when you’ve stopped over reaching.

I found the best new guitar I’ve played in many years and it’s not even made of wood, so go figure.
"Air guitar" ? ;o)

Seriously, what is it?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-22-2021, 12:58 AM
aK_bAsh7 aK_bAsh7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Hopefully you used the same pick, if not your going to have to start over using the same pic
The wrong pic can make the right guitar wrong.
Yes, I used the same pick.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-22-2021, 01:00 AM
aK_bAsh7 aK_bAsh7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
When I found my #1 acoustic, I wasn't really looking to buy an acoustic. Had been doing one set per night with acoustic. Most acoustics don't really turn me on. Being in the playing position (behind the guitar) I don't hear the same thing as when sitting across from it. Once I played my J-185 my views changed. In both tone , and playability. Today I play it 2-3 hours a day. Being retired helps. I used to only play at rehearsal. Hadn't played at home for years and years, before I retired. It's not for everyone. But it's definitely worth a look. If you can find one.
I was seriously considering a J 185 until I learned about the nut width.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-22-2021, 01:02 AM
aK_bAsh7 aK_bAsh7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
I am inclined to fully agree with you !

That said, even day to day, my own hearing seems to change
so a guitar pleases my ears more some day amd less some other day.

Neck profile is another chapter : as far as I can remember, my fretting hand
quite adapted to any neck profile, from flat Taylor to Martin modified V necks
and chunky others.
RE: neck profiles, you are fortunate.

My experience has been very different, with both electrics and acoustics.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=