The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2020, 04:14 PM

Default Tennis elbow dominant side?

Tennis elbow sufferers: do you get it in your picking/strumming arm or your fretting arm? I keep reading that it's most common on the latter but I have a wicked case on my right, dominant, picking arm. It flared up after a period of playing more than I had for years, so I'm connecting the injury with guitar playing.

No matter which side you had/have it on, any tips for healing?
Old 09-20-2020, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Right now I have it in my left elbow, which is my fretting side. I take meds for it and it comes and goes.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:32 PM

Started for me a few months ago in my fretting hand.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:41 PM

Constant for years in my left (fretting) arm. Ice, nsaids, rest and usually good to go.
You need to look at your sleep posture and see if you are aggravating the elbow issue with how you position your arm.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeamps View Post
You need to look at your sleep posture and see if you are aggravating the elbow issue with how you position your arm.
Years ago I had rotator cuff discomfort related to my sleep habits. Adjusted them and all was good. You could be right.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Had it twice once in both elbows.

One time it took about a year to resolve, another tie when I had private medical insurqnce it cleared up with this treatment :

Extra corporeal shockwave (focussed). It was very expensive involving a sophisticated piece of machinery which was effectively like hitting the painful part with an electric hammer about five times a second for as long as you can bear it.

If I understand the thing is it causes considerable internal bruising which sraws blood into the area and speeds up healing. It worked. It was not fun.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:38 PM

Default You should NEVER have elbow strain for your strumming arm

The OP is using wrong technique.

Strumming and playing with the right (strumming) hand should be (At the very least) THE WRIST, not the entire arm (ELBOW)

I'm a finger picker and i don't even have wrist action going on.

Something is wrong with the OP's technique with the right hand.

MGF
Old 09-20-2020, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Had it twice once in both elbows.

One time it took about a year to resolve, another tie when I had private medical insurqnce it cleared up with this treatment :

Extra corporeal shockwave (focussed). It was very expensive involving a sophisticated piece of machinery which was effectively like hitting the painful part with an electric hammer about five times a second for as long as you can bear it.

If I understand the thing is it causes considerable internal bruising which sraws blood into the area and speeds up healing. It worked. It was not fun.

I did this too and it really worked. I also had it for Plantar Faciitis.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Must confess that's a treatment I haven't heard of.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:31 PM

Look up flossing bands - it's popular amongst powerlifters and Crossfit athletes. You basically constrict the joint severely for a short period of time to restrict blood flow, and cause a rush of fresh blood to go to that area once released. I've been dealing with all kinds of elbow tendinitis from weightlifting over the years and flossing really works, and it's cheap and easy to do yourself at home.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tags View Post
Tennis elbow sufferers: do you get it in your picking/strumming arm or your fretting arm? I keep reading that it's most common on the latter but I have a wicked case on my right, dominant, picking arm. It flared up after a period of playing more than I had for years, so I'm connecting the injury with guitar playing.

No matter which side you had/have it on, any tips for healing?
Mine originated from framing my house by hand with a 22 oz framing hammer a LONG time ago. Aircast compression strap kept in check for 20+ years. It finally got so bad I was sure I would need surgery. Went to the best elbow guy in the area and he prescribed physical therapy. 13 sessions got me back to full use, pain free. It was a lot of work but worth it. Now the other side needs it but I'm waiting a few months till I start medicare.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
The OP is using wrong technique.

Strumming and playing with the right (strumming) hand should be (At the very least) THE WRIST, not the entire arm (ELBOW)
I'm about 85% a picker, not a strummer. Am I putting too much elbow into my picking?
Old 09-20-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
Look up flossing bands - it's popular amongst powerlifters and Crossfit athletes. You basically constrict the joint severely for a short period of time to restrict blood flow, and cause a rush of fresh blood to go to that area once released. I've been dealing with all kinds of elbow tendinitis from weightlifting over the years and flossing really works, and it's cheap and easy to do yourself at home.
I have a compression strap on there now, with a pad pressing on the forearm muscle. Seems to help... a little. Different from what you recommend, I realize. Will check out, thx.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
Mine originated from framing my house by hand with a 22 oz framing hammer a LONG time ago.
I definitely made it worse by rashly driving in some stakes to hold down my kids' swingset one night, heedless of the rocks in the soil.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I am an archaeologist, so my elbows get a workout with digging and screening. I don't think guitar caused my issues, but it sure doesn't help it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion