The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-13-2018, 06:00 AM

Default My X30 YouTube Review

here y’all go!

Last edited by byudzai; 11-13-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:13 AM

Cool...thanks
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-13-2018, 08:15 AM

Well, that helped amp up my already high X30 desire to a fever pitch! I'm even reconsidering the whole veneer issue. Well done review, Alex, Emerald has another great design.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 11-13-2018, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Great review of a great guitar! Nicely done!
Old 11-13-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Cool...thanks
Lol... Cool...thanks? That's it?!? (It was early... maybe Kramster was running late for work?)

I watch a lot of guitar videos online. AND I typically make guitar review videos for my NGD posts. I try to keep them short (and fail) but usually they are under 10 minutes. When I saw yours was 18 minutes I thought to myself, "Too long". Guess what? I wasn't.

I was glued to your entire video and I'm not even considering an X30! That was an extremely well-done review video! Great job!! You told me things I didn't know (that angled cut bottom is way cool) and the playing and comparisons were very well done and helpful.

I love the fretboard bottom cut and wish I'd thought of that for mine. Surely it's much too late in my build to get that done, unfortunately. Lot's of great tips. Thanks for taking the time. The look was quite professional as well. You definitely have some experience with this type of thing. The editing was great.

You've raised the bar on AGF NGD video reviews and I'll have one coming up in a few weeks. But mine still won't be as good as yours!

Thanks again. Definitely send that video to Emerald. They'll want to use it on their website and FB page for sure.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:45 AM

Fantastic review and video, and I absolutely agree. IMHO the X30 is the best one in their line up. Just an amazing sounding guitar!!!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-13-2018, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Very nicely done indeed!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-13-2018, 09:17 AM

Yes very late..I’ll check again later with headphones on my Big Mac. Still messing with my X30 video. And will have to up my game a lot as the new video king has arrived and has upped the ante...or something like that.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 11-13-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:21 AM

Very nicely done indeed. It is fairly rare for me to sit through a whole YT video without skipping forward, but I did this time. I might even listen again through headphones to get some of the subtle nuances. Comparing to the HD-28 was a good move, since everyone knows what those sound like. It tells most of what anyone might want to know about the X30 and Emeralds in general. And here I thought there was some immunity to X30 lust.......

Having played Kramster's X30, I can confirm everything you said. Tone. Comfort. Aesthetics. And tone.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:27 AM

It is amazing as big as the 30 that it feels smaller ... a really great thing... the older original Green 30 I had felt way bigger and didn’t sound this good , as well as I can remember .
Old 11-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Very nice! I still don't want anything bigger than my X20, but you did a great job of explaining what I like about Emerald's approach to carbon fiber. And I even went back to the soundhole tuner in my X20 - I'd been using a Polytune clip-on because it does pick up the low E better, but the little sound hold guy works well enough and it's so convenient and unobtrusive in there. Bummer my older model X7 won't fit one - the soundhole is right up agains the fretboard on that one. I think the new ones look like they have enough room.

Enjoy it!

-Ray
Old 11-13-2018, 10:49 AM
Guest 928

The video is not coming up on my computer. But, the reviews sound really good for both the guitar and the player. As Mr. says, "cool."
Old 11-13-2018, 11:40 AM

Excellent review. very well done. Now some of your blue one!

Jkjk. I'm Holding Out for a x30 12-string Someday. I'm wondering if they can build it without the cut away. I really never play that high up, and I'm wondering how much louder I can get with that cutaway real estate taken back.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:07 PM

I can't speak to whether they can do an X30-12 or one without a cutaway. But I doubt you'd gain any volume, since the area of the sound board lost to the cutaway is minor, and does not vibrate much anyway.

When I ordered my custom X20-12, I went for 20 instead of 24. I never play that high on any guitar, much less a twelve string, and the fret board could get in the way of my strumming stroke if extended that far. I get why they want 24 frets, but I almost never use anything above 18 on any guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Very nice! I still don't want anything bigger than my X20
I like my X20's too, but the X30 does not feel that much bigger when you hold it. It has a noticeably bigger and bolder sound, however.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:06 PM

Excellent review, I really liked being able to soundcheck against Martin. Acquisition of X30 is just a matter of domestic political challenge I can overcome in time. I would like to play it in person first beforehand. Btw, your Martin sounded... very Martinish and I liked it as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber