The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-10-2018, 06:55 AM

Default Putting Shellac finish on my Martin

I love my new 000X1AE, the sound and feel is just amazing and I'm sure I will enjoy this guitar for many years to come.

Only problem is there's barely if any, finish on the top. Just playing it for a month I can already see beginning of small scratches on the top that's going through the super thin finish Martin has sprayed.

I don't want this to end up looking all scratched, dirty and pale.

I don't mind scars but I want the guitar to age nicely, yellow and have some sort of finish that's been worn down.

So I've decided to put some layers of amber shellac on it. It will bond very well, make the spruce top look aged and look pretty cool once it's worn.

The shellac will arrive this week, I'll upload pictures as I go.

This is how it looks like right now.

Hm... It says I don't have permission to upload pictures. What that about?

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-10-2018 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 11-10-2018, 08:43 AM

you have to pay to post pictures, but re putting on shellac, don't. It will change the sound.

Last edited by srick; 11-10-2018 at 09:09 AM. Reason: clarified the "pay to post" comment
Old 11-10-2018, 09:15 AM

Note that you can post pictures even if you are not a Charter Member: instructions here
But it's a lot easier to post pictures if you are a Charter Member. And, becoming a CM is a great way to support AGF. (There are bills to be paid!)

best,

Rick

PS - becoming a CM allows you to post "For Sale" items.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:16 AM

The only way to keep your guitar from getting worn is to never play it. Shellac is not as tough as poly and thus it will wear just like the factory finish.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Joel,

As Rick explained above, you do NOT have to "pay to post," but it is easier. The charter membership allows you to post pictures directly from your computer. Without a charter membership, you either have to use the Tapatalk app or use a 3rd-party host, such as imgur. I believe if you follow the link Rick posted, you'll understand. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:32 AM

You don't state whether or not you have experience in finishing or experience finishing with shellac. A high quality result requires more than simply opening a can and brushing-on a finish. The probability that someone inexperienced at finishing will apply a finish to a guitar that doesn't detract from the value and appearance of the instrument is near 100%. Possibly, you are the exception, though only you can assess your abilities.

As someone who has repaired guitars for about 40 years, based on what I've seen, my recommendation is that if you are unhappy with the finish on the instrument you bought, sell it and buy one with the type of finish you like. Once you have refinished the top, expect the resale value of the guitar to be halved. Should you be unhappy with the finish you apply, the cost to have it professionally repaired will be significant.

Lastly, as Will points out, shellac is not a particularly wear-resistant finish.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kirk View Post
The only way to keep your guitar from getting worn is to never play it. Shellac is not as tough as poly and thus it will wear just like the factory finish.
I don't mind the guitar getting worn, it's the pale white look of the spruce top I don't like and the fact that it won't look yellow and aged, but just scratchy and dirty.

I'm well aware that shellac wears down too but it would give it a nice patina as it does.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
You don't state whether or not you have experience in finishing or experience finishing with shellac. A high quality result requires more than simply opening a can and brushing-on a finish. The probability that someone inexperienced at finishing will apply a finish to a guitar that doesn't detract from the value and appearance of the instrument is near 100%. Possibly, you are the exception, though only you can assess your abilities.

As someone who has repaired guitars for about 40 years, based on what I've seen, my recommendation is that if you are unhappy with the finish on the instrument you bought, sell it and buy one with the type of finish you like. Once you have refinished the top, expect the resale value of the guitar to be halved. Should you be unhappy with the finish you apply, the cost to have it professionally repaired will be significant.

Lastly, as Will points out, shellac is not a particularly wear-resistant finish.
I do have experience with finishing lacquer and applying Shellac. The value of this particular guitar is insignificant to me as I bought it to use in any given situation, it has a HPL back and sides it durable and will hold up well as a travel guitar or something to have at work without ever worrying about it.

Thats why I bought and I'm happy with it, but I wish the top had something to cover it from getting dirty or black stained. And also I like the amber hue I can achieve with shellac.

As I said before, I'm aware shellac will wear down too but it will look much nicer than the state it is in right now.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel.angstrom View Post
I do have experience with finishing lacquer and applying Shellac.
Sounds like you know what you are doing and what to expect.

All the best with it.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:08 PM

Do you know that spruce turns yellow with age? Adding shellac could darken it immediately, but then it will continue to darken more with age.
et al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair