The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM

Default What Gibson is Jackson Browne playing here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgy3f6TNcoY
Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM

He has several old Gibsons and especially likes the Roy Smeck models from the 30's. He has his own model that he designed w/ Gibson based on the old Roy Smeck Gibsons and it has Walnut back and sides w/ Adirondak top with a sunburst.
I'm not sure what model this is, but there is additional writing on the headstock. Maybe some of the Gibson experts can chime in.
If you've ever seen him play live he has a rack of about 20 guitars that he keeps on stage and uses most of them for different tunings on certain songs.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
He has several old Gibsons and especially likes the Roy Smeck models from the 30's. He has his own model that he designed w/ Gibson based on the old Roy Smeck Gibsons and it has Walnut back and sides w/ Adirondak top with a sunburst.
I'm not sure what model this is, but there is additional writing on the headstock. Maybe some of the Gibson experts can chime in.
If you've ever seen him play live he has a rack of about 20 guitars that he keeps on stage and uses most of them for different tunings on certain songs.
Yeah, I've seen him and am amazed at his guitar stable. Between Jackson and David Lindley, it looks like an instrument store on stage. I first saw him live at a place called the Quiet Knight in Chicago in the early '70s when he was promoting "Saturate Before Using" solo with just guitar and piano. Blew me away. He was playing a Gurian back then and I liked it so much, I bought one the next day at the Chicago Guitar Gallery. My biggest regret regarding guitars is ever selling that Gurian. Jackson Browne has been one of the biggest influences in my music career.

Last edited by DCannon; 01-15-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:48 PM

I just saw him this past Fall w/ Sarah Watkins opening. Excellent show.

I saw him years ago, (1980?), w/ the band that he used on all of his early albums, David Lindley, Lee Sklar, Craig Doerge, Danny Kortchmar, Russ Kunkel, and Rosemary Butler It was a great show. I memorized all the words to all of his albums through Running on Empty...College got in the way after that.

I think he is one of the best songwriters of the 20th century and also an underrated guitar player.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 AM

That's his 1990s Gibson Roy Smeck reissue.

For my summer 2011 Fretboard Journal cover story I went on the road with Jackson for several weeks and was able to play through his guitar collection. He's a stunningly talented guy with an equally stunning guitar collection.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
For my summer 2011 Fretboard Journal cover story I went on the road with Jackson for several weeks and was able to play through his guitar collection. He's a stunningly talented guy with an equally stunning guitar collection.
There are very few things you could have said that would have made me more envious than that! What an experience that must have been....
Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 AM

I like JB's music and guitar playing, but on that song, not crazy about the tone. It may not be the guitar at all, but the equalization. The high-end is rolled off a little too much for my tastes.

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brant0086 View Post
I like JB's music and guitar playing, but on that song, not crazy about the tone. It may not be the guitar at all, but the equalization. The high-end is rolled off a little too much for my tastes.

Bryant
It's got that dreaded quack going on!

www.facebook.com/ebaresolutes
www.ebaresolutes.com
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM

It looks to me like a Roy Smeck Radio Grande

Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
That's his 1990s Gibson Roy Smeck reissue.

I couldn't be more envious!

Mainly, I was just curious about the woods on that guitar in the video.

Other than Gibson, what acoustic guitars is he playing? Does he still have/play Gurian at all?
Denny

Last edited by DCannon; 01-16-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCannon View Post
I couldn't be more envious!

Mainly, I was just curious about the woods on that guitar in the video.

Other than Gibson, what acoustic guitars is he playing? Does he still have/play Gurian at all?
Denny
Smeckalister.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 PM

The "Smeckalister" that Tony "Mycroft" Weber is referring to is a design based on the Roy Smeck model that Jackson Browne had luthier Roy McAlister develop. Jackson has had Roy build at least two standard six string guitars in that shape, and also got a baritone guitar with the same body style (a photo of which is featured in that article in the Fretboard Journal that John wrote, even though the caption doesn't identify it as such.)

As for other contemporary guitar builders who've built guitars for Jackson, it's quite a long list, and includes Danny Ferrington among others. But I don't know how many of those other modern handbuilt guitars are getting stage time with him these days.

He owns SCADS of guitars, let's leave it at that.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-16-2013, 03:35 PM

I curious as to what his main guitars were back in the day. Did he always lean towards Gibson? It's been so long but I thought I remember him playing some handmade guitars
Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumber View Post
There are very few things you could have said that would have made me more envious than that! What an experience that must have been....
It really was an extraordinary experience. My day job (law prof) allows for a lot of flexibility. On the fall tour of 2010 I joined Jackson and the band every Friday through Sunday for about 5 or 6 weeks. I've actually got recordings of me sitting around trading guitars back and forth with Jackson and David Lindley.

Jackson is a really thoughtful guy and a wonderful guitar player. I really hadn't appreciated his playing, probably because I was so impressed with his songwriting, until sitting with him and playing tunes. He also really knows and loves guitars and travels with a couple of dozen. I knew that it was going to be a special gig when the first day I joined the tour Jackson said, "John, you've got to play these guitars" and walked me over to racks of vintage guitars.

Then there was the afternoon when Mr. Dave gave me an oud lesson.

The guitar in the video is a reissue Roy Smeck Radio Grande, which I played. A nice guitar but not nearly as nice, imho, as his two favorite vintage Smecks.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
It really was an extraordinary experience. My day job (law prof) allows for a lot of flexibility. On the fall tour of 2010 I joined Jackson and the band every Friday through Sunday for about 5 or 6 weeks. I've actually got recordings of me sitting around trading guitars back and forth with Jackson and David Lindley.

Jackson is a really thoughtful guy and a wonderful guitar player. I really hadn't appreciated his playing, probably because I was so impressed with his songwriting, until sitting with him and playing tunes. He also really knows and loves guitars and travels with a couple of dozen. I knew that it was going to be a special gig when the first day I joined the tour Jackson said, "John, you've got to play these guitars" and walked me over to racks of vintage guitars.

Then there was the afternoon when Mr. Dave gave me an oud lesson.

The guitar in the video is a reissue Roy Smeck Radio Grande, which I played. A nice guitar but not nearly as nice, imho, as his two favorite vintage Smecks.
JB is my favorite singer/songwriter and Mr Dave is easily one of my favorite guitar players. Add me to the extremely jealous list
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion