The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
A Lowden O will eat the other 3 for lunch!
Having played several high end Martin and Collings, and a pre*war today, I can concur. The three brands mentioned do it with a sharper directness, if that makes sense, but the overall volume and power of a Lowden O would win.

Collings guitars haunt me, though. The D1A would get my vote.

Last edited by scotchnspeed; 10-22-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:09 PM

I’d recommend a Collings D-1.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:12 PM

Can’t go wrong with either of those. I have 3 guitars I will never sell. One is a d18 (vintage and adi topped). Another is a d1at. There are certainly some differences but I don’t think there are two better mahogany dreads on the market. I’ve owned a countryboy which had a really dry, great sound but didn’t project like the Collings or Martin. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2021, 10:01 PM

I have a custom shop D-18 with VTS sitka over quilted mahogany and it was louder then my D-18 standard, which was also a loud guitar. But my HD-35 is louder then either, and the loudest acoustic I have played. It is a cannon for sure.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpatten View Post
Trying to decide between three great dreds. I’ve narrowed it down to three:

1) Martin D-18 custom adi top sinker back and sides

2) Bourgeois Country Boy D

3) Collings D1A

I realize I probably can’t “miss” here, but I figured I’d see if anyone here has owned these and what your choice would be. I’ve watched clips of each and they all sound great to me. I like the adi/mahogany combo and these three seemed like the best candidates to cut through a jam. It’s hard to find these to play in person right now, so I figured I’d start here first. Thoughts? Experiences? If you could only have one? Thanks!
You missed the Gibson Advanced Jumbo from your list; my late lamented AJ was the loudest, most punchy and toneful dread I have ever heard. Ok it's rosewood, but with none of the flubby bass many rosewood dreads possess. Imagine it sounding like good mahogany, but with added harmonic overtone content. Demo:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEhLgc9IUVw

Last edited by AndrewG; 10-23-2021 at 01:53 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
A Lowden O will eat the other 3 for lunch!
It's an entirely different sound.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:45 AM

I've never played a Bourgeois but I have owned two Collings 12 fret dreds and found them to be rather stiff and tight. The Martin Ditson I have now suits me perfectly, but lots of people prefer the Collings sound, saying Martins are too bass heavy.

When you ask a question like this on a forum, you will get so many different opinions that you may end up more confused than when you started. They are all fine guitars, which one you will prefer is a choice only you can make.

A Lowden is also a fine guitar, I have owned many over the years, but a very different tonal palette.

A Goodall standard is also a superb guitar of that type and well worth adding to your list. If you can find one second hand they represent great value.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

I'm afraid that none of us can advise the best one for you.
All good but the important thing is the neck that best suits your left hand.

Had loads of Martins - fine but variable and there's always the neck reset issue for keepers.

Had a Bourgeois DS260 for a while - beautiful tone, but couldn't get on with the neck.

Collings - bought one in 1999, another in 2005, another in 2010, another in 2011, and another in 2012.

The 2010 is a stock DS1 - loudest, (my bluegrass band guitar!) and DS1a - a 2003 build - worked hard before it came to me. Magical.

Each to his own

YMMV.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I’ve had an Adi/mahogany Bourgeois Slope D Banjo Killer and it was a cannon. I now own an aged tone Adi/eir Bourgeois Vintage D with torrefied Banjo Killer bracing and it is the loudest acoustic I’ve ever played. I know it’s not the wood combo you’re looking for, but Dana’s torrefied dreads are powerful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I believe the Martin D-35 is known for it's volume.
Having one in the Arsenal, I can attest to that….and I only play fingerstyle and she is a cannon….

Not a huge Collings fan personally, except for their dreads….that’s where I think the company’s acoustic builds excel above others….

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 10-23-2021, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Gibson Dove
Maple back and sides, 25.5" scale. It depends on why you want "a cannon". But I expect that with a set of medium gauge strings on it a Dove will do more than "blow the bloody doors off".

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-23-2021, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

For a cannon I suggest the Collings. Their clarity puts them out in front of the others. It's also why people call them stiff. If you want or need a little rumble or muddiness to hide behind then go with a Martin.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-23-2021, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

…my bandmates Collings D-1A qualifies….I once owned a Santa Cruz Mahogany D that had a massive bark and cut through a Bluegrass jam with the best of em….
Old 10-23-2021, 08:41 AM

If you want that Martin sound, there's only 1 place to get it IMHO.

That being said, unless you have the ability to go play a bunch of them, your chances of getting a good one are much higher with Bourgeois or Collings.

If you want a Martin, you may want to consider a weekend trip to Nashville. You'd be able to run the racks and find a good one. Going the custom shop route does not guarantee a a stellar Martin.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:02 AM

I will say that between my D41 and my Bourgeois, the Vintage D is WAY more guitar, volume-wise than the Martin. They both sound great, but the Martin is clearly in 2nd place.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-23-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpatten View Post

I realize I probably can’t “miss” here, but I figured I’d see if anyone here has owned these and what your choice would be.
A lot depends on how you're going to play it. Are you using a flatpick? Fingerstyle with fingerpicks? Bare fingers?

If it's flatpicking, you're probably right that you can't miss. Assuming you pick the right example of each.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion