The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 02:38 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Lose a guitar?

I was wondering if there was something going on with so many people losing guitars. I bet it wasn't just retailers that were affected.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/f...154832496.html

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-22-2021, 03:03 PM

You're from Jersey. I'm sure you've heard the expression "it fell off a truck".
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-22-2021, 03:08 PM

Good riddance! Only 3 years in prison isn't long enough for a decades long crime.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

I really wish the guitar companies would stop splashing their names on the boxes. Leave them plain or put something like ''Fresh Cow Manure''!
Old 10-23-2021, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I really wish the guitar companies would stop splashing their names on the boxes. Leave them plain or put something like ''Fresh Cow Manure''!

I agree 100%. I just sold and shipped two, both in Taylor boxes that I had stashed. One went east, one went west. One has arrived safely, the other is still out there.

It would be less nerve-wracking if they were in plain cartons.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:46 AM

I ordered two bottles of Scotch from Scotch Malt Whisky Society. They were shipped on FedEx and were supposed to arrive at my house on Thursday. Nobody knows where they are. The thing that bugs me is that I have to be at home to sign for them . . . . if they ever get here.

FedEx says that they are short staffed and don't have enough people to do the job. B.S.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I was wondering if there was something going on with so many people losing guitars. I bet it wasn't just retailers that were affected.
Hi Barry…
I have a friend who owns a high-end Pawn business (they have franchises in several states), and around 1995 he bought a farm-found The Gibson Harp Guitar (it was probably built between 1915-1918).

It was in need of repairs to the extension neck and body, and some restoration of finish and body cracks. I suggested he send it to Gibson, and he immediately declined.

He said in researching it, a lot of old Gibsons sent back to the company were able to be tracked to the company door and then just disappeared off the map.

After reading this article you posted, it would seem an easy enough scam to pull off for delivery companies to just claim loss, or breakage etc. and defer to insurance.

I didn't suspect Gibson, though there is a possibility of people in 'receiving' departments not to be of the same caliber as repair people and builders.

If it never really got to their door, it would seem someone was intercepting them at a weak point in the system.

When James Olson shipped my new guitar (1993) it was extra money, but I paid for the shipping that the delivery van came to his shop and carried the guitar directly to the plane. When the plane landed in Denver, the driver who picked it up immediately drove it to Cheyenne and to my house.

I'm guessing they still have that type of service, and I bet it costs more than the $50 extra I paid in 1993!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion