The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
I posted a somewhat similar question a while ago:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=602685

I've used a clip on tuner since the start and recently switched to a TC UniTune which I've been very happy with. I also find the non strobe mode easier to use like somebody else mentioned.

I still wonder tho (out of plain curiosity), which tuner type has the capacity to be the most accurate, in theory, based on the nature of how the technology works? (that is, clip on vs microphone vs pedal?)
you're missing one possibility I mentioned in a previous post....plugged in to ios tuners. I think this is the most accurate for acoustic guitars, as long as they have electronics. Otherwise I'd say a pedal is the best, because it too is using the electronics, esp for soundhole or undersaddle PU's. I think ios might be better simply because the computing power is greater than a pedal, not to mention the abundance of choices. I'm gonna do a test on a soundhole mag pickup and see if that's better than an undersaddle. I find an ipad essential to guitar playing, not to mention everything musical. I've been experimenting with nembrini's acoustic app, and it's pretty amazing, considering it's cost vs the cost of an acoustic pedal.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 10-22-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I’ve got a Ł50 gift voucher for Guitar Guitar. Thinking of getting a Peterson StroboClip HD with that voucher. Is it worth it?
Fox, the Peterson is a well-regarded tuner, but don't buy the Peterson just to get the Sweetened™ tunings. The James Taylor/ACU/SBJ preset is a compromise tuning for use with a capo that flattens the strings from 3 to 12 cents. With open strings, it is abysmal. I can't understand how some players find it to be good, because it's not a subtle difference.

I favor the Unitune clip-on and the Airyware phone app.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

For me it’s perfect with open strings. All in the ear of the listener I suppose!
Old 10-22-2021, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
Fox, the Peterson is a well-regarded tuner, but don't buy the Peterson just to get the Sweetened™ tunings. The James Taylor/ACU/SBJ preset is a compromise tuning for use with a capo that flattens the strings from 3 to 12 cents. With open strings, it is abysmal. I can't understand how some players find it to be good, because it's not a subtle difference.

I favor the Unitune clip-on….
My feelings exactly. The ACU (a.k.a. ‘James Taylor’) ‘Sweetener’ makes all of my guitars sound horribly out-of-tune. I never use that tuning, I prefer the EQU (Equal Temperament) tuning or even the GTR (Electric) offsets. I’m perfectly happy to tweak any slight errors by ear - I believe it keeps my ears fit for purpose.

TBH, no-one has managed to explain to me yet how a set of tuning offsets designed specifically to suit the characteristics of JT’s guitar can possibly ‘sweeten’ every other guitar on the planet. I’m sure there are owners of guitars out there for whom the ACU ‘sweetener’ works because their guitars’ characteristics happen to be close enough to JT’s, but I’m far from being persuaded that it’s a universal solution.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-22-2021, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post

I favor the Unitune clip-on and the Airyware phone app.

Good luck.
There was a great thread a while ago about sweetened tunings, with some great explanations from people who know the ropes. I dont find pre-scripted sweetened tunings very sweet for the most part. I’m still not sure if this is because each guitar has its own intonation fingerprint, or Im just missing something. Ive found that if I tune to standard tuning, then play the root chord of the song Im playing, I usually end up tweaking 2 or 3 strings a quarter to half twist of the knob to get it just right. Next song if different key, repeat tweaking with new root chord. Ive been told that this is a “sweetened” tuning process. Others disagreed.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-04-2021, 12:56 PM

Have we found a new rabbit hole to go down. Made me think of a lyric in a Who song I'm in tune; Got it all here in my head nothing more needs to be said.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder Gail View Post
Have we found a new rabbit hole to go down. Made me think of a lyric in a Who song I'm in tune; Got it all here in my head nothing more needs to be said.

“An acoustic guitar and especially an acoustic guitar with notes being fretted are so far from matching the assumptions of the "ideal string theory" it's a wonder we can make music with them at all.”

One of the reasons these statement hold true is our brain. It is the great adjuster, taking in sound, light, small, taste, touch and who knows what else, then deciding what we perceive.

There are a million illusions out there that show how what is real is not always what we perceive.

That doesn’t mean that some people aren’t more sensitive or aware of certain things, like tuning and intonation. But the vast majority of the folks in your audience, or players like me, are ok with “close enough” because our oblivious minds fill in the blanks.

So we make movies with imperfect pictures, art with imperfect drawings, and yes, music with imperfect notes.

In fact in some instances, representing reality in too much detail can be disturbing. Think of some super high definition TV.

Music needs soul and that soul comes from individuals and their styles and imperfections. Otherwise any old computer would do.

I would quote Justin Sandercoe, since I learn on his website: “If it sounds good, it is good”.

I like to use my phone to bring new strings close to tune, then a Snark to bring it in. I don’t particularly like the Snark the rubber grippy and clip keep falling apart, but I have so many I haven’t need to buy anything else yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion