The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-20-2021, 08:08 AM

Cleaning sprays are a 'bandaid' solution to a problem which inevitably will return in the future. When I worked as an electronics tech for a utility company we may have used sprays as a temporary fix to get equipment back running immediately if we didn't have a spare part on hand. The problem part would be scheduled to be replaced later when the replacement became available.
I also used to do fixes/repairs on music gear and generally it was preferably to replace a part, but would use a spray if someone needed to use a piece of gear until an ordered part was received. Replacement is the preferred option if your gear makes money for you. Unfortunately bench time for a repair isn't cheap to replace a $3-4 part and cleaning sprays are an easy fix most times.
My own gear I'll use spray until it really gives up the ghost and it just isn't worth the time and aggravation to spray any longer.

While sprays can get in places where it's not wanted, most are formulated to not cause harm to components or circuit boards.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:27 PM

I have been repairing audio equipment professionally for 40 years. There have always been contact cleaners that were effective long term. Right now Deoxit is the ONLY cleaner that actually removes oxidation. Use anything else and you will get a recall in a month or so. I clean controls with Deoxit and it lasts for years.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-22-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
I have been repairing audio equipment professionally for 40 years. There have always been contact cleaners that were effective long term. Right now Deoxit is the ONLY cleaner that actually removes oxidation. Use anything else and you will get a recall in a month or so. I clean controls with Deoxit and it lasts for years.
Yup, DeOxit is the best and only one I'll use for pots and switches.
60 years building and repairing gear, about 50 years doing it professionally as a tech and/or engineer .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification