The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 01:50 PM

People have hobbies, and some are more expensive than others…
Old 10-22-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
There's folks who keep changing guitars. I think many of them have missed a point, they seem to hope that that new guitar will make them sound good. I suggest the goal is for the player to make the guitar sound good. Can't buy improved playing no matter how much is spent.
I doubt very much that the people who own 5 or 6 or 10 or 20 guitars keep buying them expecting the guitar the magically make them sound better. Maybe someone would buy a 2nd or 3rd guitar hoping to hear an instant improvement but the guys with whole "collections" just simply like buying and owning guitars.

And FWIW, compared to the $150 all-laminated, buzzing, thuddy sounding beginners guitar I played my first few weeks after taking up guitar playing any of the guitars I've owned since then do sound a heck of a lot better. It would take one heck of a player to get any kind of decent sound out of that box!
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 10-22-2021, 11:46 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by russchapman View Post
Let me introduce myself...
Nice to meet you!
Former AGF Moderator
Old 10-23-2021, 01:12 AM

What I interpret from phavriluk´s post is that you will not sound better by exchanging guitars all the time and spending a lot of money on it, but rather that the goal should be to get better on the instrument you have. I actually agree with that and I personally know that there are people who think you can buy yourself skills. I think there is a lot of misunderstanding in this thread. I think most of us have been in a phase with a new guitar where we were close to selling it because it did not sound like we wanted it to or it was difficult to play, but where time and maybe a good setup did that several years later we are sitting with the best guitar we have had. It has happened because we have gotten used to the guitar, learned to play it and got to know its potential and suddenly it is amazing. It does not happen for all guitars, but we have learned to give a new guitar time where we might have previously just sold it and bought another. How many times do you not hear people in here say they were happy they did not sell their new expensive guitar or spend the time tweaking it with strings, bridgepins, saddles / nuts because they are looking for something else in it. Can a new guitar make you sound better? Yes. Can you make your current guitar sound better? Yes. Does all this make you a better musician? Maybe.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
There's folks who keep changing guitars. I think many of them have missed a point, they seem to hope that that new guitar will make them sound good. I suggest the goal is for the player to make the guitar sound good. Can't buy improved playing no matter how much is spent.
I change guitars fairly frequently. Why? Because with whatever years I have remaining I want to experience as many different instruments as I can within budgetary constraints. This has nothing to do with hoping a more costly guitar will make me a better player. Only practise does that-and lots of it. Over 50 years of playing the things has taught me a lot...
Old 10-23-2021, 01:44 AM

A bad tradesperson always blames their tools...
Old 10-23-2021, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Some may be shocked to learn that there are no shortcuts to becoming a good guitarist. Unlike computer games, you can't buy guitar hacks off the internet that bestow instant skill.

Some people are born with a talent for it, just like some people are born with the innate ability to pick up languages easily but for most of us, myself included, it just boils down to hours and hours of working at it, (much to the chagrin of anyone within earshot).

Having a good sounding, well playing guitar is definitely important but, as mentioned in numerous earlier posts, its just part of the equation and in my opinion more of a minor part.

As you can see from my signature, I too chase tone in fact I'm due to take possession of a new resonator next week but I've been playing and studying since the late sixties and for much of that time I owned one acoustic and one electric.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:11 AM

What I want to reinforce, especially in light of a few of the more recent replies, is it's not an and/or situation.

There seems to be some recent implication that you're either seriously trying to get better at playing, or you're just out throwing money at guitars. You can, in fact, be dedicated to learning the craft and improving your skills, while also appreciating, and occasionally purchasing, a new guitar.

Ultimately it's up to each individual person to decide how to live their life. If they want to be a "one guitar for life, dedicated to 6 hours a day of practice" type of person, more power to you. If you have the financial means to corner the Brazilian Rosewood market and just want to admire the beauty and workmanship of the instruments, more power to you. The truth is most of us fall in between those two extremes, and no judgment on my part to anyone else, regardless of which side of the spectrum they lean towards.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-23-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
A bad tradesperson always blames their tools...

I never see the best ones not using excellent tools.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
A great guitar will allow you to hit nuances and dynamics that are not achievable on some guitars. You can not become a better guitar player if your instrument will not allow you to hit those nuances.
I share this sentiment.

I see folks bang on guitars at my local shop. They sound the same no matter what they play- GS mini or Martin Authentic. It doesn't matter. It all sounds the same.

Some of us don't take that approach. I don't tell a guitar what I want and force it, no matter the tonality. I listen to what the guitar tells me and I react accordingly. That approach has made me a better player.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:46 AM

I'm mostly in agreement with the OP. I've offered this opinion many times here:

Most of us on the AGF are middle aged and older men living in the US, UK, Australia or Canada. Our culture(s) (and economies) have been consumer driven for the last 70 - 80 years.

The pursuit of leisure time hobbies/activities is huge and hugely marketed specifically to us. So whether we're talking about photography, skiing, bicycling, motorcycling, camping, running, hiking, wood working, guitars, etc. there is an army of professionals with one goal - to keep us buying gear. We're programmed to do it from childhood on. A major element of the marketing is "this gear will make you a better photographer/skier/cyclist etc." Let's not be too harsh on those who believe the hype.

We all know (and maybe are) someone who is always researching, buying, using, reselling gear for a chosen pursuit. In some cases I've seen, the gearism takes precedence over the pursuit itself.

It's not an evil conspiracy, it's just market capitalism and it feeds, houses and clothes many people. Just something I like to stay aware of. I think self-awareness and reflection on our motivation for how we spend our money, attention and time are vital for personal growth.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Especially in the used market, buying a guitar just means that instead of having more numbers in your bank account you have a new instrument to have fun with. If you play it for a few months or years and then you decide to sell it you will probably get a large portion of your money back. So in effect you are "renting" the guitar.
If you have fun with the guitar while you have it then it's no different than any other adult toy. Most of us have way more guitars than we need but if it's something that you enjoy and if you have the means to meet your other obligations I fail to see the problem with folks buying/selling/collecting guitars.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Five pages of justifications. My thought, why are we so compelled to justify to others what guitars we buy and how many guitars we have?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-23-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Five pages of justifications. My thought, why are we so compelled to justify to others what guitars we buy and how many guitars we have?

Thinking the same thing.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I didn't feel compelled to give my reasons, nor to justify anything; the OP wasn't in the least confrontational and was simply voicing an opinion. Granted it could have been worded a little better, but there's nothing wrong with being curious.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion