The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

I noodle along with this thing some:

https://bluegrassjamalong.com/the-podcast/

I was working with Angeline The Baker some and wanted to
hear it other ways and stumbled onto:

-Mike
Old 10-22-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Opening up a thread that's been dormant for far too long as I just heard some of these videos for the first time. One listen and I'm hooked and this thread has some of the best compilation of them without having to do any searching at all, so thanks for starting it.
Check her out with Billy Strings - get double the phenomenal young players!
Old 10-22-2021, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Molly is an incredible talent. Her Father was a music teacher, and former child prodigy himself...teaching his children to play guitar & mandolin from the time they were basically toddlers.

I love to watch the videos that use a neck-mounted iPhone camera to slow down her cross-picking skills...blows my mind completely.

But, right before I throw my guitars over the balcony...I remember that, although she is a highly talented player...she has also been playing at a high level virtually all of her life. Her brother, Sullivan Tuttle, is a hugely talented guitarist in his own right as well.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:05 AM

I'm really digging the album she put out last year "...but i'd rather be with you" Just a great feeling to it.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 10-22-2021, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

wow she's such a talent. I was just picking my way through a couple of those and I'm not too far off, but to be able to play while being recorded without making any mistakes, kudos to her!

The Collings sounded mighty good.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
Molly is an incredible talent. Her Father was a music teacher, and former child prodigy himself...teaching his children to play guitar & mandolin from the time they were basically toddlers.

I love to watch the videos that use a neck-mounted iPhone camera to slow down her cross-picking skills...blows my mind completely.

But, right before I throw my guitars over the balcony...I remember that, although she is a highly talented player...she has also been playing at a high level virtually all of her life. Her brother, Sullivan Tuttle, is a hugely talented guitarist in his own right as well.
Yup, don't beat yourself up. Watching her cross pick made me want to quit playing, but I can tell I'm not that far off, and she definitely had a head start! Kids pick things up way easier than adults, so it's just second nature to someone who started so young.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:40 PM

Good golly, Miss Molly!
Old 10-22-2021, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Jack Tuttle is one of the better teachers around, out of Gryphon. He can teach about five instruments. There is no sense at all beating yourself up over Molly being better at 12 than you are after a lifetime. Should enjoy playing whatever level you can.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-22-2021, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I've been a Molly fan ever since I came across a UTube instructional video of her playing 'Little Sadie' clawhammer style. This was around 7 yrs ago I think. I knew then she was something special and I believe her terrific playing is a product of much talent, hard work and some very good mentoring. I truly enjoy seeing young folks playing the old timey, traditional music so well.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:52 PM

Watched a video of Molly and Tommy Emanuel playing White Freightliner and Deep River Blues.

After the first song Tommy said, and I will clean this up for the forum, "You have to be brave to get up here with this woman. She'll kick your butt".

Yes, she keeps Tommy on his toes.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 10-22-2021, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

She is a lovely player. But I like her songs the best, where she uses the guitar in support for her voice - her two "instruments" working in perfect harmony.

I carry a Jazztone 207 in my wallet. It is a pick that I can always rely on if I come across a guitar when I'm out and about. It was watching Molly play that put me on to them.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:44 PM

I thought the Huss & Dalton she played in the radio show was mighty strong.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 10-22-2021, 07:28 PM

Agree wholeheartedly with StillStephen post above. I recently spent an entire evening going down the rabbit hole of Molly Tuttle/Billy Strings playing together. Terrific players both of them.
Froggy Bottom P12
Collings OM2H
SCGC Parlour
Kronbauer TDK Mini Jumbo
Danocaster Tele
Heritage H535/Bareknuckles
Taylor T5 Custom
Contreras nylon
Old 10-23-2021, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

She has become a excellent singer, and is an example of the voice trumping virtuosity. Watch how she communicates the song in a completely genuine way, and the guitar skills become a distant second.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
She has become a excellent singer, and is an example of the voice trumping virtuosity. Watch how she communicates the song in a completely genuine way, and the guitar skills become a distant second.

She has a nice voice and a very good rhythm guitar, and she keeps everything in balance like a pro. Then of course the obligatory set of fast scales. I’ve heard “gentle on my mind” enough times, but it’s still a sweet cover.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion