The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2021, 10:09 AM

Default Has anyone bought a Fishman Powertap Earth ?

My main question is obviously - how do you like it?

Does it come with the ridiculously long cable or is it shorter given that it needs to be a permanent install?

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 10-22-2021, 10:23 AM

I tried one and it does come with the really long cable you have to carefully clip inside. It benefits from running in stereo and EQing separately. In mono, it's ok.

I removed it as I didn't love the SBT and I think the RE Blend might be better. However, I'm using the SD MagMic in that particular guitar and like it best.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 10-22-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I tried one and it does come with the really long cable you have to carefully clip inside. It benefits from running in stereo and EQing separately. In mono, it's ok.

I removed it as I didn't love the SBT and I think the RE Blend might be better. However, I'm using the SD MagMic in that particular guitar and like it best.
Thanks, I’ve had a REB before and thought it was a good system. I’m surprised they still have the long cable on something which you have to installed permanently.

Think I’ll swerve this one. Thanks for the input

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 10-24-2021, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Just looked at the videos of the Fishman pickup. Seems to be similar to the Skysonic Pro-1. Except the Skysonic has a microphone as well as a mag and a SBT. I’ve got 3 Skysonics installed and I like them a lot. I turn off the mic. It doesn’t help (imho). So then, the Skysonic (as I use it) functions like the Fishman. I’d be interested in an A-B video. But I don’t expect to change. Plus if you order the Skysonic from China (Ali-express) it’s half the price of the Fishman.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Just looked at the videos of the Fishman pickup. Seems to be similar to the Skysonic Pro-1. Except the Skysonic has a microphone as well as a mag and a SBT. I’ve got 3 Skysonics installed and I like them a lot. I turn off the mic. It doesn’t help (imho). So then, the Skysonic (as I use it) functions like the Fishman. I’d be interested in an A-B video. But I don’t expect to change. Plus if you order the Skysonic from China (Ali-express) it’s half the price of the Fishman.
I would've kept the Powertap if it had the mic, like in Jon Gomm's signature Ibanez, but the SBT itself is kinda buzzy/fuzzy sounding and doesn't have enough high-end to enhance the mag. It's a good idea but for the price, it just doesn't beat the original RE Blend.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification