The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-03-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I've gigged this guitar with stock pickup though my Bose L1 Pro 8 for a few months ...
Honestly, I didn't mind the sound and used a few pedals to make things sound right to my ear.

HOWEVER, adding the Anthem took the guitar to the next level for me.
It has taken a little while to really get it set up right (dialing in proper mix of the Tru-Mic..EQing, etc).

Also the tru-mic placement makes a difference for sure.. I have tried it in front and behind the bridge pins.
Right now to me, it sounds best, behind the pins (closer to rear) as opposed to in front closer to sound hole.
ALSO - I have found that it needs extra bass and reduction in treble to get it to sound best for my ear.

In the end, Everyone hears differently, everyone's setup and room's are different. So do what sounds best to you! Play and enjoy!
I agree....I had to dial back a lot of the mic with the little screw in the SL to get rid of the harshness. I also tried several positions of the true-mic and settled on behind the pins. There is just barely enough room to fit it onto the underside of the bridge without it interfering with the pins. Is that where you put yours Jake? or did you attach it to the top, behind the pins? My luthier also suggested glueing a small piece of wood alongside the bridge (at the same exact height as the bridge) to give you a slightly wider area to attach the true mic too. It would only need to be maybe 1/2" long and about 4" long. Just an idea.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I've gigged this guitar with stock pickup though my Bose L1 Pro 8 for a few months ...
Honestly, I didn't mind the sound and used a few pedals to make things sound right to my ear.

HOWEVER, adding the Anthem took the guitar to the next level for me.
It has taken a little while to really get it set up right (dialing in proper mix of the Tru-Mic..EQing, etc).

Also the tru-mic placement makes a difference for sure.. I have tried it in front and behind the bridge pins.
Right now to me, it sounds best, behind the pins (closer to rear) as opposed to in front closer to sound hole.
ALSO - I have found that it needs extra bass and reduction in treble to get it to sound best for my ear.

In the end, Everyone hears differently, everyone's setup and room's are different. So do what sounds best to you! Play and enjoy!
I still want to get another Anthem sometime and experiment with the tru-mic placement. I think behind the bridge pins would tame a bit of the harshness. I remember over at the Baggs forum, a member there did an experiment with the Lyric in three different positions. It was remarkable how different they all sounded. All were good but I liked behind the pins the most. It had clarity still but a bit more warmth. I just wish I liked the sound of the Element a bit more. It has a distinct presence that I don't hear with other UST systems.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Is that where you put yours Jake? or did you attach it to the top, behind the pins? My luthier also suggested glueing a small piece of wood alongside the bridge (at the same exact height as the bridge) to give you a slightly wider area to attach the true mic too. It would only need to be maybe 1/2" long and about 4" long. Just an idea.
Here's where I placed it .. Attached to the top - behind the bridge plate (closest to rear of guitar).

Old 10-04-2021, 05:13 AM

Running the Lyric only, and if one is committed to that pickup, I can't imagine it not sounding better if it were to be glued in instead of the foam "command hook" style mounting option. I imagine the results would be fuller tone with better bass response which I found the Lyric really lacked.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Here's where I placed it .. Attached to the top - behind the bridge plate (closest to rear of guitar).
Gotcha. It can fit on the bridge, behind the pins, but it has to be placed in the exact spot where it doesn’t interfere with the pins. It took me several tries. I would just lightly stick it on and then check it with my iPhone camera. If it was correct then I pressed it firm.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
Running the Lyric only, and if one is committed to that pickup, I can't imagine it not sounding better if it were to be glued in instead of the foam "command hook" style mounting option. I imagine the results would be fuller tone with better bass response which I found the Lyric really lacked.
I don’t see how that would make any difference? The true mic would still be in the same spot. How would glueing it down effect the tone?
Old 10-04-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
The Lyric, although somewhat like a SBT, doesn't really react the same way in terms of installation. I mean one would have to try it, but I would be surprised if you got more bass from gluing it down.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
The Lyric, although somewhat like a SBT, doesn't really react the same way in terms of installation. I mean one would have to try it, but I would be surprised if you got more bass from gluing it down.
Yeah I didn't get that either. The mic itself will still be sitting in the same spot.
Unless he thinks it's vibrating around a little on that piece of adhesive??? I still can't see how that would make any difference.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah I didn't get that either. The mic itself will still be sitting in the same spot.
Unless he thinks it's vibrating around a little on that piece of adhesive??? I still can't see how that would make any difference.
I think it might be the same logic as glue and SBT's. In many cases, glue provides a closer bond to the bridge plate, which can add more bass. However, sometimes it can add more high end. For example, with the K&K, if glue isn't used, it just sounds weak. However, people have reported trying glue for the Amulet and finding the tone to be a bit too bright. I think it depends but since the Tru-Mic is just a mic, I really don't think a close, glue bond is necessary.

If the Lyric wasn't so expensive, I would buy another to try different positions. I kick myself for selling it because I have often wanted to experiment further with it.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:41 AM

Well...actually, without the foam the Lyric pickup/mic would be ever so slightly closer to the bridge plate or top thereby increasing bass response and fullness...same principal as with any mic and the proximity effect. It's a very sensitive mic, seems like I've read of someone on this forum experimenting with this.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Well...actually, without the foam the Lyric pickup/mic would be ever so slightly closer to the bridge plate or top thereby increasing bass response and fullness...same principal as with any mic and the proximity effect. It's a very sensitive mic, seems like I've read of someone on this forum experimenting with this.
That's definitely a possibility. The thing is though, would more bass be problematic? Maybe Baggs tested glue and found it was just too much. I think placement would make more of a difference tbh.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Hey Jake. Any more opinions about the Anthem in your SC13E?
Still think it was worth all the trouble?
Old 10-20-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Jake.....see my last post please. Just wanted an update. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Jake.....see my last post please. Just wanted an update. Thanks!
Yes! The Anthem SL in this guitar is a huge upgrade IMO. I have played 3 or 4 shows with it in past couple weeks. My Bose Pro8 never sounded better. I have gotten huge amount of compliments (maybe it's me) or maybe it's the gear. But I'll take it!!

I don't have colorful words for the way things sound. So I can't sugar coat it... I use a Bose Pro 8 with a Baggs reverb pedal and Venue DI/EQ. I also have a Align Session pedal ... But honestly I turned it off. It was not necessary.

The original pickup was just fine... But this takes the guitar to another level. I'm digging the sound and so are the listeners!
Old 10-21-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Yes! The Anthem SL in this guitar is a huge upgrade IMO. I have played 3 or 4 shows with it in past couple weeks. My Bose Pro8 never sounded better. I have gotten huge amount of compliments (maybe it's me) or maybe it's the gear. But I'll take it!!

I don't have colorful words for the way things sound. So I can't sugar coat it... I use a Bose Pro 8 with a Baggs reverb pedal and Venue DI/EQ. I also have a Align Session pedal ... But honestly I turned it off. It was not necessary.

The original pickup was just fine... But this takes the guitar to another level. I'm digging the sound and so are the listeners!
Thanks! Only thing stopping me from installing another Anthem is the wire soldering part. I've never done that before and I'm afraid I'll screw it up. Was also contemplating putting in a Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend system in there instead, since you don't have to worry about placement of the truemic. The mic in the Fishman system is small and goes just inside the soundhole.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification