The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-16-2021, 11:45 AM

Default Sansamp para driver vs Optima air

Not as straight forward as it seems ... because......
this is not for a guitar so actual guitar modeling isn't relevant. I have a couple of Brazilian cavaquinhos (kava-keenyo). Its a steel strung instrument slightly larger than a ukalele but sounding more like a mandolin. For samba it is played as a fast choppy rhythm instrument (think Nile Rogers but faster). My particular target is my solid body-less instrument which has only a piezo pickup. I want to take out the "quackyness".

The sans amp is analogue and a complete piece of kit. It even has the possibility of adding a little tube warmth. The optima air would be able to recall its setting digitally and has a headphone jack, but probably has no drive.

Has anyone tried both?

As a side issue, has anyone tried the Sansamp bass driver? I'm mainly a bass player so maybe the unit could do both.

Last edited by sirdoh; 10-16-2021 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdoh View Post
As a side issue, has anyone tried the Sansamp bass driver? I'd mainly a bass player so maybe the unit could do both.
I can't answer the other questions, but the Bass Driver is my go-to pedal for electric bass. I love it and have it on always when recording. Highly recommended!

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-18-2021, 07:41 PM

I have had the SansAmp Acoustic DI, now out of production and the SansAmp Para Driver. While I have never used it on the instrument you describe, it can do well to shape and fatten up a mandolin or just about any stringed instrument. IT gives you complete control including "air", low cut filters, and tube emulation as well as eq.
That would be my choice for what you want to do.
Cheers,
davidc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
cavaquinho, optima, sansamp