The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2021, 12:51 PM

Default Marshall AS50D for Acoustic backline?

Posted this over at TDPRI forum but thought I'd ask here too.

I've landed an acoustic rhythm gig with a band (me, plus electric guitar, bass and drums). I'd usually go D28 with DiMarzio Black Angel into a preamp into desk and use IEM which has worked very well, but this gig is vocal pa only so I need backline......for acoustic

Drummer doesn't seem too heavy and we'll only be playing 60's covers in smaller clubs so thankfully I don't think I'll be needing big volume. It's a casual gig so don't want to go mad on budget and these Marshalls seem like they might get the job done and clean examples are readily available on the used market.

I'm not chasing James Taylor tone here, but I don't want to be fighting feedback or shearing audiences' heads off with top end.

Anyone have any real world experience with these amps? Any other suggestions?
Old 10-15-2021, 01:11 PM

I used to use the non "D" version with a spring reverb that stopped working which, to be honest, was no loss.

I had a passive Whirlwind DI tucked under the handle which split the signal between PA (XLR) and amp (jack). If memory serves there is an XLR out on the amp itself but I preferred the cleaner sound of the DI.

The amp sounds pretty decent in a band mix. It doesn't have much bottom end to start with and loses some of that as you raise the level. Top end is not "airy" at all but there is a decent attack for strumming with a little EQ boost.

Where the amp does really well is when you turn it up and the mids start to break up a little bit. It's really musical with a little natural compression from the speaker. If you have the option (negotiate!) blend that with a little clean DI sound in the PA and you should get a nice broad spread of sound.

On my version there is a notch filter which I never needed to use as a feedback solution but I set it to the high mids to soften the EQ boost a little, worked a treat.

Does what it says on the tin - no frills.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:16 AM

Thanks for your detailed assessment Shufflebeat. That sounds like it just might be enough for my needs.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:17 AM

I was using the AS50D's bigger brother for solo and duo gigs for a while. It did a very, very nice job of staying clean and projecting the sound to the audience. I think it's a wonderful amp.
1966 Fender Super Reverb
VVT Nighthawk

"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile." - Jerry Garcia
Old 10-16-2021, 08:43 AM

Yes the AS100D is also on my radar and the used price difference isn't that great so maybe worth holding out for one of those. It seems to be a bit more versatile and the extra headroom is always useful.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Just a reminder that that Marshal is a heavy little beast at 35 lbs.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:07 PM

I gigged with an AS50D for a while, and have owned an AS50R too. They’re decent amps for guitar but don’t really cut it for vocals, so are nowhere near the league of modern kit for the “PA in a box” way of doing things.

Taken solely as a guitar amp, they’re very good though. The AS100D is even better-if you can find a used 100, they’re a fantastic amp and extremely useful as an all-rounder, as they will also handle vocals much better than their little sibling.

They’re heavy though, as has been noted. Good exercise touring with ‘em!
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:31 AM

Seems like the 50 and 100 versions will get the job done for this particular gig which is the way I always look at things....get the right tool to do each job as they will all be slightly different. Just to clarify, I'm not looking for acoustic loveliness, more old school rhythm guitar sounds ala Lennon with his J160e > AC30 (well maybe not quite that old school ) .

My concern then is, will the AS50D have enough heft for this gig?

Jinder, I notice you use Sunrise pickups. My DiMarzio BA is in a similar ballpark albeit with slight more shimmer on top and less bottom end (I've also used a Sunrise and been able to A/B them). Is your assessment of the Marshalls based on running them with the Sunrise?

Last edited by 63telemaster; 10-17-2021 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Although I'm a big fan of the genzler acoustic array Pro, I very very much like the AS100d. I absolutely positively without question agree if you have to save a few extra bucks and look a little harder get the 100. Really really nice amp.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for the 100. A really good amp for acoustic guitar. Does the job for vocals too.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification