The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-21-2021, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Default LR Baggs VoicePrint DI users

I searched and didn't find a specific thread here for people discussing their experience with the VPDI. Quite a few threads comparing it to the ToneDexter (and the Optima Air). I've asked questions in the LR Baggs forum, but there's very little traffic there. So I'm hoping to consolidate a single source for tips, tricks, successes and disappointments.

To start off, I'm finding the Acoustic Live app (installed on both my iPhone 6 as well as an iPad Mini 4) doesn't show anything on the pickup meter coming from my JJB Prestige 330 equipped Martin DJR. the pickup meter is supposed to be bluetoothing that infor from the pedal to the app. The mic on the phone shows it hears it, but the pickup meter - nada. Anyone else having that problem?

Dan
Old 10-21-2021, 06:27 PM

Never used the VPDI, but you might have to give the App permission to use the microphone.
In Settings you scroll down to the App's entry and select that.

Just guessing, really. Good luck, _RP
Old 10-21-2021, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Is it really zero, or just very low? I have seen the pickup meters be so low as to appear to not be working, even with very hot pickups. But it stills seems to be getting a signal and trains succesfully.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Never used the VPDI, but you might have to give the App permission to use the microphone.
In Settings you scroll down to the App's entry and select that.

Just guessing, really. Good luck, _RP
Thanks for the suggestion, but the app requires that permission right from the start.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Is it really zero, or just very low? I have seen the pickup meters be so low as to appear to not be working, even with very hot pickups. But it stills seems to be getting a signal and trains succesfully.
I don't see a single one of the green dots light up. The jjb prestige 330 in the guitar is a very lively pickup when plugged directly into an amp.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euraquilo View Post
I don't see a single one of the green dots light up. The jjb prestige 330 in the guitar is a very lively pickup when plugged directly into an amp.
Does sound come out when you play thru it? Does it train and seem to change the sound even tho you don't see the meters move?
Old 10-21-2021, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Does sound come out when you play thru it? Does it train and seem to change the sound even tho you don't see the meters move?
Yes, when I select bypass I get my normal, full volume signal. And I am able to train it and create voiceprints, but they sound compressed and muffled. Just trying to determine if I am doing something wrong in the process or if there is a problem with the equipment.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, when I select bypass I get my normal, full volume signal. And I am able to train it and create voiceprints, but they sound compressed and muffled. Just trying to determine if I am doing something wrong in the process or if there is a problem with the equipment.
I'd contact Baggs and see what they say. I haven't heard the voiceprint sound "compressed", and there's no compressor in there that I know of. But every voiceprint I've made has been overly bassy, and needs significant EQ before it's usable. So if that's what you mean by muffled, that may be "normal". You can hear my results in the demo video I did - I can find it for you if you haven't seen it. I have definitely noticed the low, or even seemingly zero VU meters. ToneDexter seems to be sensitive to setting the levels right, but as far as I can tell, Voiceprint doesn't seem to matter much if at all.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Maybe compressed is not the right description, I don't know. But muffled, yes. I do have a question out to LR Baggs in their dedicated forum, so we'll see what Caleb Elling says.

I'll look up your demo video on yt.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 10-21-2021, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maybe compressed is not the right description, I don't know. But muffled, yes. I do have a question out to LR Baggs in their dedicated forum, so we'll see what Caleb Elling says.

I'll look up your demo video on yt.

Thanks,
Dan
Here you go, see if the muddy tone I get is similar to what you're hearing. This was actually a somewhat better-than-normal initial result, I think. It varies a bit, and I've gotten far bassier at times, before EQing.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here you go, see if the muddy tone I get is similar to what you're hearing. This was actually a somewhat better-than-normal initial result, I think. It varies a bit, and I've gotten far bassier at times, before EQing.
Yes, thanks - I did listen to your video last night and that's just what I'm hearing, too. I also listened to Aaron short's video and noted that he also used a lot of EQ to help it out.

The thing I like most about the VPDI is the extensive and visual EQ. I do wish it had some kind of sonic display (real time analyzer) so I could see offending or overbearing frequencies. Maybe that'll come in a future update. I'm still trying to decide, though, if my SunnAudio Stage DI produces a better sound.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
. I'm still trying to decide, though, if my SunnAudio Stage DI produces a better sound.
You can always use both. The Voiceprint, like ToneDexter, is most useful for its "effect" feature. I use a Sunnaudio preamp, but put ToneDexter in the effects loop to get its IR benefits. I actually wish Baggs would just make the EQ part of the VoicePrint, preferably in a very small pedal. That would be pretty useful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification