The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-17-2018, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

I added a Baggs Align EQ to my pedal board that has a Red-Eye preamp and they work wonderfully tonight. So I see no reason you can't mate an Align EQ with the Para Acoustic DI.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-17-2018, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I added a Baggs Align EQ to my pedal board that has a Red-Eye preamp and they work wonderfully tonight. So I see no reason you can't mate an Align EQ with the Para Acoustic DI.
Thanks. Yeah, the Align looks great but I’ve bought a second hand Wampler EQ at a crazy price

1996 Martin HD28
2018 Martin OM28 reimagined
2016 Takamine P3MC
Gibson Les Paul ‘58 Custom Shop
Fender MiM ‘69 Thinline Reissue Telecaster
Old 11-17-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy1962 View Post
Thanks. Yeah, the Align looks great but I’ve bought a second hand Wampler EQ at a crazy price
The Wampler Equator looks really interesting. Do the eq points work well for acoustic? The only videos I've seen demonstrate use with electrics only.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:32 AM

The Wampler EQuator works very well with acoustic. I think it may be slightly easier to dial in than the Empress Para EQ.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJ915 View Post
The Wampler EQuator works very well with acoustic. I think it may be slightly easier to dial in than the Empress Para EQ.
Thanks for your answer.

Another big plus for the Wampler over the Empress is that it has a volume control. I would be using the EQ in the effects loop of a Red-Eye. Neither the Empress or the Red-Eye has volume. The Empress/Red-Eye combo would be a lot of knobs at my feet to still need to go to the board for a simple volume change, so Wampler takes the lead!

Old 11-17-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJ915 View Post
Yeah this is what attracted me to the Wampler. That and the fact it takes less space on my already groaning Pedatrain nano

1996 Martin HD28
2016 Takamine P3MC
Old 11-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…Does anyone have any experience of using a dedicated EQ alongside a DI unit like the para acoustic?
Hi bb1962

I've used ParaDI to get the part you describe as "…a dedicated EQ might help in smoothing out my sound, adding punch and clarity and giving me more control over my settings…"especially the punch and clarity parts. I still own a couple and they rarely come out of my gear bag these days.

The ParaDI sorely needed an update, and Baggs created the Venue. The ParaDI electronics/design goes back at least 15 years, and some of the edge or lack of smoothness is due to the need for an update (which the Baggs Venue is).

Baggs Venue added a notch in the bass range, the same two notches in the low-mid/high-mid range, and same presence and treble controls. It's a much friendlier and smoother sounding rig. And they finally located the XLR so it comes out parallel to the floor instead of sticking up in the air.

Modern PA systems, with digital boards (and their attached sound techs) often have the ability to fine tune any problem areas of the EQ of specific channels/instruments in the house mix.

A more price friendly EQ is the Fishman Platinum STAGE model. It only has sweepable mids, but there is a selectable low cut, and it's ½ the price of the Venue and fits in the pick drawer of my case. I carry it as a loaner for people who show up at gigs without a preamp (and didn't know they need one).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-18-2018, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi bb1962

I've used ParaDI to get the part you describe as "…a dedicated EQ might help in smoothing out my sound, adding punch and clarity and giving me more control over my settings…"especially the punch and clarity parts. I still own a couple and they rarely come out of my gear bag these days.

The ParaDI sorely needed an update, and Baggs created the Venue. The ParaDI electronics/design goes back at least 15 years, and some of the edge or lack of smoothness is due to the need for an update (which the Baggs Venue is).

Baggs Venue added a notch in the bass range, the same two notches in the low-mid/high-mid range, and same presence and treble controls. It's a much friendlier and smoother sounding rig. And they finally located the XLR so it comes out parallel to the floor instead of sticking up in the air.

Modern PA systems, with digital boards (and their attached sound techs) often have the ability to fine tune any problem areas of the EQ of specific channels/instruments in the house mix.

A more price friendly EQ is the Fishman Platinum STAGE model. It only has sweepable mids, but there is a selectable low cut, and it's ½ the price of the Venue and fits in the pick drawer of my case. I carry it as a loaner for people who show up at gigs without a preamp (and didn't know they need one).

Hey Larry. Yep, I agree about the Para Acoustic and had considered upgrading to The Venue. My plan now is to use the Wampler Equator (which will be arriving next week) with my Radial Stagebug DI. The Stagebug is very straightforward but does sound good XLR’d into our PA. My thinking is that this will be a more simple and user friendly set up, with the Wampler governing EQ levels and the Stagebug delivering a clean signal. I’ll post something after my next gig

1996 Martin HD28
2016 Takamine P3MC
Old 11-18-2018, 07:33 AM

I have tried a plethora of eq pedals in the past.
the para di was not one of my favs.
The grace felix mentioned above has
been my best buy ever . But it's expensive.
For a dedicated eq i have never found a better
one than the speck electronics asc. this is
a half rack unit so it helps if you have a rack
to mount it in. They are better known in the recording
world but i used one for years in a rack.
They are not cheap but can be found used
on ebay for a decent price. like this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/speck-Elect...-/292818798478

Again if you know how to use a parametric eq. These
are great for guitar.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey Larry. Yep, I agree about the Para Acoustic and had considered upgrading to The Venue. My plan now is to use the Wampler Equator (which will be arriving next week) with my Radial Stagebug DI. The Stagebug is very straightforward but does sound good XLR’d into our PA. My thinking is that this will be a more simple and user friendly set up, with the Wampler governing EQ levels and the Stagebug delivering a clean signal. I’ll post something after my next gig
Hi bb

I look forward to your discoveries!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-19-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi bb

I look forward to your discoveries!

Me too let us know.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:36 AM

The Wampler EQ is great and works well with the Radial Stagebug DI. My guitar sound at my last gig was improved with no feedback issues thanks to the Wampler ...However...I’ve also bought a second hand LR Baggs Venue DI at a price I couldn’t refuse. I’m going to road test the Venue at my next gig and don’t think I’ll need the Wampler in my chain as the Venue pretty much does it all. I can always use the Wampler on my electric pedalboard

I’ll post an update after I next play live

1996 Martin HD28
2016 Takamine P3MC
Old 12-04-2018, 01:11 AM

Default Source Audio SA170 Programmable EQ

This is quite a unit .it as in the video can help an acoustic .

I own one . One unique feature is the 4 individual presets you make can be made to auto cycle

It's also able to enhance a bass guitar too .

EZ:

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 12-04-2018 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:39 AM

Just a quick update if anyone is still listening

The Venue works better for me in a live situation than the Wampler EQ / Stagebug combination. The Venue sounds great with all my electro-acoustics (the Expression 1 system sounds particularly improved) and is ergonomically brilliant

I’m in the recording studio next month and am hoping to use the Venue (although the engineer has his own preferences

Thanks again for the input / interest

1996 Martin HD28
2016 Takamine P3MC
Old 12-18-2018, 03:10 PM

Congrats on getting your live setup sorted out.

But I'm surprised by this:
Quote:
I’m in the recording studio next month and am hoping to use the Venue (although the engineer has his own preferences
IMO, recording in the studio offers the guitarist:
1. a superior acoustic space
2. superior microphones
3. a skilled engineer who knows how to place those superior microphones in that superior acoustic space to get the best results with your particular instrument

If you record your guitar direct (that is using the Venue instead of micing), you are losing all those benefits. I think it's safe to say that the general consensus among recording musicians is that no plug-in solution (with the possible exception of the ToneDexter) comes anywhere close to the realistic beauty of a well-miced recording.

That said, you're the only one who knows what sound you are going for, so my apologies if my opinion is unnecessary or unwelcome.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification