The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-10-2018, 10:31 AM

Default Boss AD-10 - can't get independent EQ on each input channel

Could someone who has successfully set up different EQ for each channel with the AD-10 please help as I can't get this to work.

Manual page 11 says (I have the latest version downloaded):

1. Hold down the [EXIT] button and press [TUNER/MUTE], memory button is lit red, tuner button purple.

-yep that works

2. Use the [SELECT] button to select the channel whose EQ you want to set.

-yep

3. Use the knobs to adjust the EQ.

-yep that works

...but now what? If I select the other channel and fiddle with the knobs I just end up undoing what I've just done, the EQ for my first channel is not saved and the EQ is simply being applied across the whole mix anyhow.

-The last button says:

4. Press the [EXIT] button to exit the settings.

-Yes that exits the process, but again nothing is saved. I tried pressing exit after setting up each channel but that didn't work either.

Basically the EQ settings are not being saved and the EQ is being applied across the whole mix, purely dependent on where the knobs are.

Another member here I corresponded with has the same problem.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 11-12-2018, 02:35 AM

Wow, non-one here has set up different EQ for each channel with this unit?

I'm really surprised, there was a lot of interest in this new unit on AGF and it's now probably the most affordable dual channel preamp on the market.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 11-12-2018, 08:25 AM

I looked it up for you. I wonder if you need to press EXIT to finish the first channel before you attempt to set the second?
Old 11-12-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I looked it up for you. I wonder if you need to press EXIT to finish the first channel before you attempt to set the second?
Thanks for going to the trouble but already tried that as mentioned in my post:

'I tried pressing exit after setting up each channel but that didn't work either'

Tommy Emmanuel
Old 11-12-2018, 09:45 AM

Of no help to you but mine does the same thing. I don't get this "feature".

Not a feature I actually need (not now, anyway) but I just tried it with 2 guitars. One in each channel. I start on channel 1, EQ, switch to channel 2 but the channel 1 guitar is still engaged (it should be off and the other guitar active). Just that, right there, makes no sense to me.

Are we all missing something? Maybe you can try your local/national BOSS help line for clarification?

Pass it on if you figure it out.

Cheers.
Daniel
Old 11-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Of no help to you but mine does the same thing. I don't get this "feature".
Right, thanks Daniel. That's three of us on this group that cannot get this function to work. I have searched online, including Youtube, and can't find a single person demoing this or anyone confirming that it can be done. Lots of reviews listing it as a feature of course, but that's just reading off the spec.

Either the manual is hopelessly inaccurate or Boss are promoting a feature that simply does not work. I have contacted Boss/Roland and will report back.

Tommy Emmanuel
Old 11-17-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
Either the manual is hopelessly inaccurate or Boss are promoting a feature that simply does not work. I have contacted Boss/Roland and will report back.
It is now a week since I contacted Roland/Boss product support, no reply. Their website says they aim to respond within 48hrs. Unfortunately my previous experience with European Roland /Boss support (for a faulty amp) was also very poor.

I'll give it another week or so but if I can't get this to work I shall have to get rid of the AD 10 and go for another dual channel (or more) mixer, plus a delay plus looper.

Shame really, but on the plus side as reported elsewhere on AGF, a secondhand Bose T1 is now looking *very* tempting and would actually give me far more powerful EQ for my purposes, plus a delay by the looks of it.

Tommy Emmanuel
Old 11-17-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
It is now a week since I contacted Roland/Boss product support, no reply. Their website says they aim to respond within 48hrs. Unfortunately my previous experience with European Roland /Boss support (for a faulty amp) was also very poor.
Tell you what. Email me your exact query text you have for them and I will send it to my Canadian Rolland/Boss help desk and see what I get. Least I can do as I too am puzzled by this.

Say, would you use this as you have 2 guitars playing at once or do you have a 2 pick-up system in one guitar?
Old 07-11-2019, 09:56 AM

Default Boss AD-10 Separate EQ issues

I know this is an old thread but did anyone ever find out how to make this work? I have the same problem. Gotta believe there's a step missing or something. Any updates?
Old 07-11-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiggie View Post
Gotta believe there's a step missing or something. Any updates?
When I finally got a reply from Boss/Roland I had already sold the unit and bought the Bose T1, *new*, for roughly the same price I paid for the AD10 secondhand.

So my update is I am very happy, the Bose is far superior. Elegantly designed, easy to use yet powerful, very good manual, much better quality FX than the AD10 and more channels too, proper ones though!

Oh, the reply from Boss tech support basically said 'I just tried it out on one of our units following the manual instructions and it worked fine.'

Tommy Emmanuel
Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
When I finally got a reply from Boss/Roland I had already sold the unit and bought the Bose T1, *new*, for roughly the same price I paid for the AD10 secondhand.

So my update is I am very happy, the Bose is far superior. Elegantly designed, easy to use yet powerful, very good manual, much better quality FX than the AD10 and more channels too, proper ones though!

Oh, the reply from Boss tech support basically said 'I just tried it out on one of our units following the manual instructions and it worked fine.'
How is the looper on the T1? Snarky comment, but they're two very different things. I use both.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the update, I actually got to spend about 45 mins on the phone with Boss (Roland) and he had a unit there, plugged in 1 guitar with a A/B-Y cable so he could test, and he concluded the settings weren't saved on his setup either. He did clearify some stuff not the way I read the manual. You CANNOT set up 2 EQs in manual mode, but you should be able to set them up and store to a memory patch. But that wasn't working and he's sending off some inquiries. I the meantime we came up with a workaround that helps me out. I selected the instrument in Ch 1 and setup the EQ for it on the AD-10 and saved it to memory patch 01. Selected the 2nd instrument and did the same into memory patch 02 and now. Now when I use the pedal to select Memory patch 01, it switches to that channel and applies the EQ, same for Memory patch 02. The downside is I have to use the 2 left pedals to change memory locations (or bend over and push the up/down select buttons by hand). Works for me as I don't use Boost or Delay. Certainly not a great workaround for everyone but in my case all good. If you wanted to use the 2 inputs for 2 pickups on your guitar your still SOL.

The tech said he only had 1 other person who was having this problem. Guess that means everyone's using this pedal for making their 1 guitar sound better plugged in, which I find hard to believe. But he was a good guy and really worked the problem with me.

The interesting thing is you can hear some difference when you setup both EQs and save in memory. For testing I set instrument 1 to full base/mid and instrument 2 to full treble/presence so it would be obvious when I tried the saved EQs. The treble EQ was crazy tinny as you would expect, the bass EQ just sounded kind of normal, not tinny, not bassy. The tech guy got the same results.

Your Bose T1 wouldn't help my situation, I'm going from the AD-10 into a mixer with 4 other players, then into Bose L1 Classic.

Anyway, that's the latest, I will update when the tech gets back to me...
Rick ([email protected])
Old 07-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Default Boss AD-10 - can't get independent EQ on each input channel

I think I have it working, but found it flaky, so hard to be 100% sure. It sounds amazing, and I don’t want to mess it up.

I think that it’s flaky - when you press exit>tuner and choose a channel, twisting the eq knobs may or may not affect your selected channel. If not, exit and go back in fresh until it does. Then - exit. Don’t try to switch to channel 2.

Go back in fresh, select channel 2; twist eq knobs. If it seems to ignore you, exit, go back in fresh, try again. After a few attempts I heard the eq jump when I twisted a knob - I seem to have engaged it, for channel 2. I set it, and exited.

When I solo each channel I hear what I want and expect- seems to be individually eq’d now.

After a small global eq tweak of the combined sound, and fiddling with blend (ended up at 66/44), it sounds amazing.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:33 PM

I thought you had "cracked the code". I still had everything set up and walked through your process several times. As I said earlier I'm testing 2 instruments, 1 in each channel. And I'm setting 1 channel to full bass, the other to full treble, but regardless of which I set 1st or 2nd, when I'm done, both channels have the last settings. And I tried it both ways (ending up setting the full treble ch, and also the full bass ch). I think I'm reading your process correctly. And I've tried 2 pedals so it's probably not my pedal. Thanks for taking the time to document this. Try setting 1 ch to full bass and the other to full treble (high and presence) and verify it's working as you think. Thanks again, Rick
Old 07-18-2019, 04:27 PM

Maybe I’m fooling myself (but it’s sounding great regardless). So you went into the eq mode via exit+tuner, selected channel one, then tweaked it all treble; then clicked exit. Click through the three channel options (1, 1+2, and 2), and verify that channel 1 has retained the all-treble eq after exiting the channel eq mode.
Next, you begin again - press exit+tuner again, and this time select channel 2 only. Twist eq knobs to get it all low end; exit.

Finally, toggle between the three channel options again (1, 1+2, and 2), and verify that 2 retained its bassy eq; and 1 is still all treble. At this point I think I got to where I had retained the respective eq settings for 1 vs 2.

But in my case, all treble on 1 and all bass on 2 sucked, so I did it again and made their differences far less extreme. And I had to repeat the steps above, multiple times, because it was prone to not work at first try; flaky. So in the end I cannot be sure I know how to repeat this. And not going to try just now - off to band practice, then out of town. But next week I plan to dive back in and try to prove this to be partly my imagination, or prove its repeatable. Let me know if you have luck in the meantime!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification