The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-09-2018, 10:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default TNAG Visits Kostal Guitars: Part 1 - Talking Guitar: The Man Behind The Guitars

In the first of a three-part series, we dive into the world of Kostal Guitars and the man behind these magical instruments, Jason Kostal...

Part One:

I recently had the absolute pleasure of traveling to Phoenix Arizona to visit one of the most highly respected guitar builders in the world and, of course, a dear friend of mine, Jason Kostal. Jason and I have been close friends since The North American Guitar started back in 2010 and ever since he joined forces with us we have seen his brand go from being an unknown name to a household name in our industry.

Aside from his phenomenal talent as a guitar builder, and the adoration he has from his peers and his clients, he is without a doubt one of the most humble human beings I have ever encountered. Having now worked closely together for nearly nine years, we have seen his guitars become some of the most in-demand instruments on the planet with sales backing his order books up for several years.

Aside from the success of his guitars, there is so much more to this man than just his instruments, his determination and focus to always deliver is not only humbling but something we do not see on a regular basis.

Many do not know that Jason almost lost his life in a horrific car accident a few years ago and, while facing challenges many would have failed to overcome, he stood up and faced them head-on. So much so, when returning from the hospital in a wheelchair to find orders canceled due to his 'unknown' future health, he did not give up, bought two wheelchairs - one for upstairs and one for downstairs in his workshop and got straight back on the horse and got back to work. The mark of a true soldier.

I wanted to take the opportunity to find out a little bit more about the man behind the guitars, what makes him tick and his path to becoming one of the world's finest guitar builders. One of the most enjoyable interviews I have ever taken part of, we get to meet the maker in this rather special 'Talking Guitar' interview with Jason. I hope you enjoy watching this as much as I enjoyed filming it...

To be continued...

For more information on Jason Kostal and Kostal Guitars please call us on +44 (0) 207 835 5597 or email us here. To see our list of available and incoming Kostal Guitars, please click here.

Have a wonderful weekend,

Ben.
B&G Crossroads Non Cutaway P90's
B&G Step Sister Cutaway Kikbuckers
www.benmontague.co.uk
www.thenorthamericanguitar.com
Old 11-15-2018, 08:31 PM

I watched this the other night, I really admire Jason's view on a lot of things, I have a lot of respect for the man. He is not only an awesome Builder, but a really good person too. I loved the Video and will probably watch/listen to it again.

-OP
Old 11-16-2018, 09:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offeringplate View Post
I watched this the other night, I really admire Jason's view on a lot of things, I have a lot of respect for the man. He is not only an awesome Builder, but a really good person too. I loved the Video and will probably watch/listen to it again.

-OP
Thanks OP...It was super fun to film. Jason is such an inspiring guy and one hell of a player. Look out for Part Two coming soon. Thanks. Ben
B&G Crossroads Non Cutaway P90's
B&G Step Sister Cutaway Kikbuckers
www.benmontague.co.uk
www.thenorthamericanguitar.com
Old 02-27-2019, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Was watching this video again. I love how Jason is so helpful to others in so many ways. At the 30 min mark, he shares about Karan Singh which helps affirm my decision in going with Bigfoot Guitars. Thanks Ben for the great series of videos and thanks Jason for the friendship and the beautiful guitars!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 03-03-2019, 04:12 AM

I could listen to JK talk for days. He's like some sort of great sage.

Current:
Matsuda M1 Cutaway, Braz/Ital (2009)

Previous:
Collings 0002H, IR/Sit (2012)
Collings 0002EC, IR/Ger (2000)
Taylor 324ce L10, Koa/Koa (2005)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop