The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-29-2018, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Recommend me an amp?

Hi all, looking for an amp reco for an old Gibson ES-125 that I picked up. I've been looking at Fender's specifically because I like the clean sound and reverb you can get out of them, and it's what I'm looking to get out of this guitar.

Basically looking for something that would be good for small-medium type venues and provide the clean/reverby sound I'm looking for, under $500 or so (I'm fine buying used). I think the main thing is I'm not sure what wattage to look at. I don't want something so huge that it would have to be set at volume 2 in a smaller venue, but I want it to be big enough that it can cut through drums, bass, etc.

So far I've found a couple that seem interesting:

- Fender Princeton 112 (can't find much out there about it so not sure I would want to buy sight unseen)
- Fender Champion 100 (thinking 100 watts might be too much for the venues I'm playing)
- Fender Super Champ X2 (not sure if 15 watts with tubes would be enough)
- Fender Twin Reverb (again, might be too much for smaller venues)
Old 10-29-2018, 05:57 PM

The final answer to all your questions regarding amps is always one and always the same: Vox AC30TB.
'11 Martin HD-28V
'16 Yamaha FG180 50th anniversary
'18 Gibson Southern Jumbo
'20 Guild F-512 MPL
Old 10-29-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
The final answer to all your questions regarding amps is always one and always the same: Vox AC30TB.
That or last the one on his list.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:22 PM

Blues jr is a good choice.
Vox mv50 clean head with cab and reverb pedal. Stays super clean up to about 80-90% volume.
Best choice imo would be a used deluxe reverb.
Steve DeRosa strongly recommend the bugera v22.
The champ 100 is quite large but fairly light and a bit sterile.
Quilter amps, including the micro block also worthy of consideration

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-29-2018, 07:26 PM

Super champ x2 head with a 1x12” or 2x10” cab is a light weight dream rig.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:54 PM

I paired a Quilter 101 Mini Reverb head with a Jensen Jet Tornado Neo 100w 12" speaker and it is killer for around $500 in total. (I had the cabinet already for the speaker.) It is light, powerful and full of tone. The controls are versatile. With the gain and limiter combo you can dial things in, and the master goes from zero to 50 watts. I keep it on about 3-5 watts for practice. Also, the headphone jack is about the best I've used. What a bonus! They have a buffer on it that does the trick. I actually like using it.

I live in an apartment right now. I can dial in a great tone and not drive my neighbors crazy. Or I can play out and loud with it and never worry about enough headroom. I play a Telecaster in the blues realm and beyond.

Speaker: https://www.amplifiedparts.com/produ...2-tornado-100w

Amp: There is a lot of info out there on the inter-webs regarding the Quilter 101 mini reverb. Look it up! You can buy one used on Reverb and save some bucks. They are well made.

Svea
Old 10-29-2018, 08:07 PM

Lots o choices, if you look aroung a bit. A Fender Deluxe Reverb Re-Issue would be just what you are looking for. You might be able to find one or a Princeton Re-Issue in your price rage. A blue-check Ampeg Gemini or Reverberocket would be divine with that P-90 in the ES-125. You might also consider a Fender Princeton Chorus or the Traynor YCV series amps. I have owned all of the foregoing amps and played P-90s through them and they all sounded great. The Ampeg Reverberocket II and the Fender DRRI are my favorites.
The Peavey Delta Blues or Classic 30s are nice amps as well, all can be found under $500, especially used.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Gaffer View Post
Lots o choices, if you look aroung a bit. A Fender Deluxe Reverb Re-Issue would be just what you are looking for.
My recommendation exactly. The reissues are superb, reliable amps that can do anything, anywhere.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:38 PM

Hey have you taken a look at the Boss Katana. 100 watt, it's about $350, the 50 watt bout $220.

Last edited by Charlieb; 10-30-2018 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
...I've been looking at Fenders specifically because I like the clean sound and reverb you can get out of them...

Basically looking for something that would be good for small-medium type venues and provide the clean/reverby sound I'm looking for, under $500 or so...I think the main thing is I'm not sure what wattage to look at. I don't want something so huge that it would have to be set at volume 2 in a smaller venue, but I want it to be big enough that it can cut through drums, bass, etc. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
...Steve DeRosa strongly recommends the Bugera V22...
You know me well, Roy...

To address the OP's points:
  • I'm a lifelong fan of "big-clean" tube tone, and in 22W pentode mode (comparable to a Deluxe Reverb, and more about which later) the V22 delivers in spades;
  • I've used my first-gen (pre-Infinium) "blue light" V22 in live performance settings for nearly nine years, and I have no problem handling a 600-700 seat house clean as you need or dirty as you want, with more than enough grunt to be heard through drums, bass, keys, and a four-piece horn section;
  • When I bought mine in early 2010 I found the built in digi-verb to be arguably the best built-in unit I had heard to date; I've played several of the current Infinium V22's (as well as my own Infinium V5) and I like the new one even better - if you're a surfer dude who thinks it has to be Fender spring 'verb or nothing, you're in for a big surprise;
  • The 15W triode mode not only allows you to power down for home/small-club use, but affords you a completely different (and very useful) tonal palette in the process - play with the pre/post gain, EQ, and mid boost for a variety of pre-Top Boost Vox AC tones, or kick in the OD channel for a nice "medium-brown" crunch that I like for bluesy lead work;
  • All this can be had for around $400 street (less - sometimes much less - during Coupon/Holiday sales), brand-new with warranty - and IME you're not going to find anything with comparable tone/features/quality construction (this thing is put together with machine screws - most top-tier boutique amp builders don't even do this - and it's heavy/durable enough to withstand anything short of nuclear holocaust) for anywhere near the price; while I've upgraded mine with an Eminence Swamp Thang speaker (to replace the Celestion wannabe fitted to the first-gen V22) the current-issue Turbosound is quite good-sounding, and if you're OK with a bit of British mojo in your tone (more Vox AC50/Hiwatt clean than Marshall/Orange snarl to my ears) it may be just what you need. I would, however, strongly recommend replacing the stock $1.29 POS tubes - in case you're not aware a good set of tubes makes all the difference in the world in terms of both tone and longevity - and thanks to the Infinium self-monitoring/self-biasing circuitry it's strictly a plug-&-play affair (a bias job by a qualified tech costs around $100 in my neck of the woods); I installed a set of these over eight years ago, and they're still pumping out the tone with no signs of quitting:
https://www.thetubestore.com/bugera-v22-premium-package

While I've long appreciated the tone of a good blackface Fender amp - I've got a '65 Super Reverb RI and 100W Frontman 212R (predecessor of the Champion 100 and a cult favorite among the surf crowd) in my stable for bigger halls and outdoor gigs - and every player has his/her idea of the ideal tone, I wouldn't make a final decision without giving one of these (or the big-brother V55 - more power/clean headroom in a slightly larger package, more "American" sounding thanks to the 6L6 power tubes, and only $50 additional) a serious audition...
Old 10-30-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieb View Post
Hey have you taken a look at the Boss Katana. 100 watt, it's about $350, the 50 watt bout $220.
Been looking at these ( the 50watt) for a bit. Real nice sound..nicer price than most. Really, if you are playing home or small venue do you really need paint peeling power?? C'mon, as I get into researching this it reminds me of the old horsepower/speed wars of the muscle care era. Does it really matter you have 400hp under your right toe? Where are you going to use it? Even a Toyota will get you arrested. For me its a small (1-5watt tube) amp, clean with reverb in a small light package, I'm still lookin'.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Been looking at these ( the 50watt) for a bit. Real nice sound..nicer price than most. Really, if you are playing home or small venue do you really need paint peeling power?? C'mon, as I get into researching this it reminds me of the old horsepower/speed wars of the muscle care era. Does it really matter you have 400hp under your right toe? Where are you going to use it? Even a Toyota will get you arrested. For me its a small (1-5watt tube) amp, clean with reverb in a small light package, I'm still lookin'.
I think power is required to be heard over a drummer, or an least an amp that is miked up through a PA. Thing is, there is a huge gulf between a home musician or one without percussive accompaniment on the one hand and the band performer on the other. My electric guitar and amp sounded sweeter, had better clarity, better note separation* than any acoustic guitar I’ve tried out but it’s still an instrument not recognized much for personal use. It’s a bit strange.

*and touch sensitivity

Last edited by Jaden; 10-30-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:14 AM

My son has an Orange Micro Terror, and 1x12 cab. More than enough power for home use or a small venue (20W) He also has a Boss ME-80 to handle the effects. If he needs more power he can just mic it through the PA.

Here he is with the ME-80, and my '74 Ovation Breadwinner in my outdoor studio.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:55 AM

Based on what you want from an amp, my two suggestions are a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue or Hot Rod Deluxe. The Fender Twin Reverb is too loud and too heavy for the situations you describe and we'll over budget even used.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 10-30-2018, 10:12 AM

I play my '72 Twin at small venues. You just don't turn it up past 3

But I agree, the Twin is not what you want. Great amps but they weigh a ton and really have way too much power.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars