The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-06-2018, 11:36 AM

Default Gretsch Custom Shop Falcon Demo

Just a brief video (1:17) from Chicago Music Exchange, a new Master Built model played by Nathaniel Murphy. Sounds good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ6v...eid=08f5c85d04
Old 10-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Sounds great. If I am remembering correctly Steve DeRosa recently got a Gretsch Falcon (not sure if it was a Master built) . Or posed about it .
I love that he is using a Supro Amp and an ARA N 22 Ribbon mic to record .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-07-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Sounds great. If I am remembering correctly Steve DeRosa recently got a Gretsch Falcon (not sure if it was a Master Built). Or posted about it..
Got it/posted about it back in June, Kev, and mine may well have been the very last NOS left from the original MIJ production run of '62 reissue double-cut White Falcons; didn't have the means to post photos of mine, so the pics in my NGD were in fact a Custom Shop (not Master Built) version shipped from the factory with a '58 White Penguin-style armrest and wire Chet Atkins-type Bigsby arm. This one appears to be an offshoot of the current 16" center-block White Falcon (I own both 16" and 17" double-cut Gretsch instruments, and the relative proportions are very different), with pre-1958 control wiring, a hardtail Broadkaster tailpiece, and a Shoreline Gold Finish - different, but I've never seen a Falcon I liked in any color other than white or black, and unless that's an honest-to-Brooklyn vintage-style nitro finish I fail to see/hear the reason for a Master Built designation...
Old 10-07-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
and unless that's an honest-to-Brooklyn vintage-style nitro finish I fail to see/hear the reason for a Master Built designation...
Well, it is nitro, anyway, according to this Lark Guitar add:

"This Falcon sports a beautiful ages nitro finish"

https://larkguitars.com/collections/...-binding-relic
Old 10-07-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
unless that's an honest-to-Brooklyn vintage-style nitro finish I fail to see/hear the reason for a Master Built designation...
That seems like a reasonable question, so I looked into it just now waiting for the laundry to dry. Apparently the Master Built ones are produced in the USA in (a subdivision of?) the Fender custom shop & involve more hand work from an individual luthier than yer average Gretsch? That's my interpretation from what I could find, anyhow.

Here's a story about Gonzalo Madrigal, whose name is on the CME example:

https://blog.gretschguitars.com/2018...aster-builder/
Old 10-08-2018, 12:53 AM

It's a snazzy guitar and all that, but watching that demo I was way too distracted.

This shape with the the wiggly thumb vibrato is too much!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars