The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Scott, All arrangements are complete and your first check is in the mail! Don't spend it all in one place!
Yeah, Ken. Knowing me I'll probably spend it on my NEXT Trance Amulet from Maury, so send that check!

Believe it or not, Ken, I'm thinking of dropping one into one of my Epi Masterbilt AJ-500Ms. Those are incredible solid-wood guitars for the money -- just picking up my first rosewood version tomorrow (AJ-500R w no factory rig) and this is usually what I play out with. I've had a Martin stolen, so that stays at home most of the time. I'm going to put the Eastman E-10SS through its paces over the next couple months and then see where I'm at. I already have a top-end Baggs in my HD-28, so that's there to stay. Anyway, gonna ponder on that Epi. Might pull the trigger on that one.

Hey Maury & Ken:
Have you noticed any difference with the rig on square-shouldered Martins vs round-shouldered Gibbies? The reason is, I first heard this rig on Jackson's solo tour, and he plays very few Martins in his set, instead playing almost all Gibson guitars.

Excited as heck to put this thing through its paces. Have wanted one for years.

memmer
Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Scott, I'm looking forward to your review of your first gigging experience with your new Trance Amulet system! Enjoy!
Kenny, I'm excited too. FYI, if you've seen my YT channel, I typically gig solo acoustic. I'll be plugged in, but as Jackson often does in that situation, I'll also be running a mic out front (I'm pretty sure Neil Young still does it this way too). Maury or anyone, can someone recommend a decent acoustic mic to run in conjunction with the Amulet rig? Right now I'm just running an SM-58, but that will eventually change. I think Jackson is running a not-terribly-expensive Neumann.

thanks,
scott
Old 04-20-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
If it fits

... I have nothing but high expectations that it will sound great.
Maury,
That seems like an awful lot of work for a common guitar (Gibson J45). You'd think the company would have a helpful list of guitars they know it fits.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 04-20-2017, 05:07 PM

Hi all,
I love the Amulet pickup in my Jackson Browne so much that I had an Amulet MV installed in my Martin D-28 Authentic. By contrast, the pickup is very treble heavy and there is very little volume on the low E. Is this simply a case of the placement of the sensors on the bridge?

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2017, 05:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by es335td View Post
Hi all,
I love the Amulet pickup in my Jackson Browne so much that I had an Amulet MV installed in my Martin D-28 Authentic. By contrast, the pickup is very treble heavy and there is very little volume on the low E. Is this simply a case of the placement of the sensors on the bridge?

Thanks!
Yes and/or the preamp channel A gain setting and/or the method of installation. If the lens isn't clamped under pressure for 8-12 hours in the right spot, it can result in a weak string, a less-than-full overall tone, or both.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-20-2017, 05:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
Maury,
That seems like an awful lot of work for a common guitar (Gibson J45). You'd think the company would have a helpful list of guitars they know it fits.
It's a bummer, but we can't think of any shortcut that truly guarantees a fit, sorry.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-20-2017, 11:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Maury et al:

As I had asked earlier in this thread, I was curious about something: Do the Trance units perform better in round-shouldered dreads vs square-shouldered. I'm just curious because JB plays very few Martins onstage. Just wondering....

thanks,
scott
Old 04-21-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Kenny, I'm excited too. FYI, if you've seen my YT channel, I typically gig solo acoustic. I'll be plugged in, but as Jackson often does in that situation, I'll also be running a mic out front (I'm pretty sure Neil Young still does it this way too). Maury or anyone, can someone recommend a decent acoustic mic to run in conjunction with the Amulet rig? Right now I'm just running an SM-58, but that will eventually change. I think Jackson is running a not-terribly-expensive Neumann.

thanks,

scott

I've been looking at the Ear Trumpet Labs "Edwina" mic. Not terribly expensive and looks perfect for acoustic & vocal.
I'm getting one once I sell a few things.
Canadian dollar isn't helping my cause lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 02:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Maury et al:

As I had asked earlier in this thread, I was curious about something: Do the Trance units perform better in round-shouldered dreads vs square-shouldered. I'm just curious because JB plays very few Martins onstage. Just wondering....

thanks,
scott
I'm not sure about their square vs round shoulder performance, but I've seen JB play as many as 3-4 Martins along with his gaggle of Gibsons, so I'd lean towards "no". I chatted with him after a concert in Hershey PA and commented on his Martin 00-15 and he smiled & corrected me "17. 00-17" As if to say If you're gonna geek out with me about guitars, get it right. At that show he played a 00-17, a D-41 and I think a D-28 & something else that's escaping me at the moment.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-21-2017, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
I've been looking at the Ear Trumpet Labs "Edwina" mic. Not terribly expensive and looks perfect for acoustic & vocal.
I'm getting one once I sell a few things.
Canadian dollar isn't helping my cause lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought an Edwina Stereo Pair last Autumn and they're really nice mics at their price-point. I've only used them about four or five times here at home but will try to do more recording soon. It's kind of neat to watch some music awards shows on TV and see the Edwina being used by some performers!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-22-2017, 05:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I'm not sure about their square vs round shoulder performance, but I've seen JB play as many as 3-4 Martins along with his gaggle of Gibsons, so I'd lean towards "no". I chatted with him after a concert in Hershey PA and commented on his Martin 00-15 and he smiled & corrected me "17. 00-17" As if to say If you're gonna geek out with me about guitars, get it right. At that show he played a 00-17, a D-41 and I think a D-28 & something else that's escaping me at the moment.
Maury, thanks, I imagine you're tight on the square vs round, although I gotta say, I've seen his solo show probably half a dozen times over the last ten years or so and I've NEVER seen him play that many Martins in a show; in fact I don't think I've even seen him play a Martin dread, period. He's got some very fine Martin parlors, etc., but tends to lean toward the round-shouldered stuff, at least when I've seen him. But in your case, Maury, you'd know more than me, since you probably have put them in a bunch of Martins.

Johnny & Spruce:
Thanks for the tips on the mics. I will probably start a whole new thread in this section about that down the road. One thing I like about Shures is I'm pretty rough on my gear, so to a certain point ruggedness is almost as important to me as sound.

thanks, everyone,
scott
Old 11-05-2017, 01:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Really loving this pickup after about six months.

Anyone else new to this rig?

thanks,
scott memmer
Old 11-06-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Yes and/or the preamp channel A gain setting and/or the method of installation. If the lens isn't clamped under pressure for 8-12 hours in the right spot, it can result in a weak string, a less-than-full overall tone, or both.

Congrats on the Trances!
I had Trance Audio’s Lens in my Martin
D-28 Clarence White, Lowden O23,
Lowden F12, stereo, in conjunction with
Sunrise Mags, run through a Pendulum
SPS-1. Great Headroom and a beautifully nuanced soundscape.
Enjoy those Amulets!
[emoji1365]❤️
1968 Gibson EB3
2010 Hofner Club Bass
Old 11-12-2017, 02:05 PM

I was just looking at Bill Asher's instagram page. He does a lot of the Amulet installs for high profile artists (Paul Simon was one of the latest). He actually recommends using the barge cement method for the installation. I know Trance used to use this method. I wonder if it is in fact superior to the new tape method?
Old 11-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I was just looking at Bill Asher's instagram page. He does a lot of the Amulet installs for high profile artists (Paul Simon was one of the latest). He actually recommends using the barge cement method for the installation. I know Trance used to use this method. I wonder if it is in fact superior to the new tape method?
I'm wondering that too! Likely, the thinner the medium between the bottom of the Amulet and the top, the better the bass response and presence, as in less of a curtain between the guitar vibes and the pickup. As Gary Hull recently mentioned, superglue would likely destroy an Amulet if the transducer is removed. I think a removal method can be developed that would preserve the Amulet and bridgeplate. I believe that if an installer is confident in placement of the Amulets, superior amplified tone is likely achievable with superglue or other thin-mounting medium. Also, IMHO, the Trance "permanent tape" is good but is still too thick for optimum vibration transfer from ther guitar's brideplate to the Amulet. The plus side is that with the permanent tape, multiple installations can be achieved without damaging the Amulets or guitar.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification