The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-18-2018, 09:43 AM

Well timed thread drift. I just concluded yesterday that my go-to athletic shoes are far past worn-out. Suddenly I am in the market for new shoes, and I have a soft spot for anything Hawaiian. Yet another way that AGF is costing me $$$$........ Captain Jim, we look forward to your NSD post.

As for the topic of too many Emeralds, I can only quote Pink Floyd. "Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying".
Old 11-18-2018, 10:45 AM

My feet are so wide, they're almost square. Merrell, ECCO, SAS and New Balance have been my choice the past decade.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 11-20-2018, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Well timed thread drift. I just concluded yesterday that my go-to athletic shoes are far past worn-out. Suddenly I am in the market for new shoes, and I have a soft spot for anything Hawaiian. Yet another way that AGF is costing me $$$$........ Captain Jim, we look forward to your NSD post.

As for the topic of too many Emeralds, I can only quote Pink Floyd. "Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying".
They just showed up about 15 minutes ago. Joan ordered me a pair of chucka boot style in wide width, and a pair of slide sandals from Olukai. AND, a pair of wide width Kizik sneaks... none of them fit my fat feet.

Like jwellsy, SAS, New Balance, and Merrell in double wide have been my options. The Olukai were both great looking - both had the same issue for my fit: too tight through the instep; not enough width in the toe box. Same with the Kizik, but they were also too wide in the heel.

We have to pass through San Antonio (6 hours north of us) to get most anywhere. The SAS Shoe Factory/General Store is a regular stop for us. I was really hoping for some other options.

Yes, this is off-topic. Frustrating, though (at least for this fat-footed boy). On the bright side, each of my Emeralds is a perfect fit!

-------

On edit: Joan had ordered these and wanted to be sure I was being accurate: the Olukai boots and sandals were not specifically a wide width, but were shown on their site as being "wider than normal." Not wide enough for some of us, though. The Kiziks were a wide width and were still too narrow across the instep and toe box. You know what they say: big feet... big shoes.

Those three pair spent just enough time in our house for me to try them on - I just got back from taking them to the local mail/shipping store.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 11-20-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:04 PM

Sorry to hear of the poor fit. I discovered this brand of "medical" shoe when being treated for a foot injury, and needing some extra roomy shoes for my 14EEE feet. These were being sold by the orthopedic place who did my custom inserts. After your post, I pulled out the pair that I had stashed away (but were not part of the regular rotation) and have been wearing them all week, replacing the now-retired worn out NB's.
https://www.drcomfort.com/
Old 11-21-2018, 06:43 AM

Sorry if I steered anyone wrong on the Olukai shoes. My personal and lifelong problem with a good fit has always been with the toe box not being wide enough, more so than the rest of the shoe's width. I've got "duck feet", I guess. I'd been wearing Keen shoes for the last 20 years but watched their quality slip to the point that I'd given up on them. We may obsess about our shoes a bit but still probably spend much more time, every day, thinking about our guitars!
I'm still remembering when I was switching around the Emerald X20's and X30's last Saturday that I had to look down to see which model I had at the time, both being SOOO comfortable to hold.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 11-21-2018, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusknives View Post
Sorry if I steered anyone wrong on the Olukai shoes. My personal and lifelong problem with a good fit has always been with the toe box not being wide enough, more so than the rest of the shoe's width. I've got "duck feet", I guess. I'd been wearing Keen shoes for the last 20 years but watched their quality slip to the point that I'd given up on them. We may obsess about our shoes a bit but still probably spend much more time, every day, thinking about our guitars!
I'm still remembering when I was switching around the Emerald X20's and X30's last Saturday that I had to look down to see which model I had at the time, both being SOOO comfortable to hold.
Hey, Jim - you sure didn't steer me wrong; they were great shoes, nicely made. They just didn't fit my neanderthal feet. This is not a new thing for me - finding shoes that fit has been a life-long challenge. I am always hopeful when I hear about other "fat foot options."

I didn't realize "fit" was an advantage with guitars until I bought that first Emerald.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:44 AM
Guest 928

I see that we are now comparing shoes and guitars--I like it! I was raised on a ranch and until my teens had never worn anything but cowboy boots--my first pair of tennis shoes was like heaven--toe room--felt so gooood!

My first 30 years of guitar ownership was focused on wooden instruments. And then I found CF--I once was lost, and now I'm found. Ergonomic, durable, good looking. Feels and sounds so gooood!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber