The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-17-2018, 08:50 AM

Default vocal effects processor

Hi,

I would like opinions on a good vocal effects processor. I know there are many out there, but was wondering about those without the expensive harmonies, looper and pitch correction. I'm looking for something simple I can enhance my vocal tone with and maybe get some good acoustic guitar effects? Background info: I play solo acoustic guitar and my vocals... Things are going fine..I dial up pretty much what I want out of my Bose T8s..I'm just looking to experiment/play a little with some pedal ideas. I really like the sound the boss ve 8 puts out..but is there anything out there that has the guitar/vocal effects without the harmonizer, pitch correct..etc. (I get that I can get the VE 8 and just not use what I don't want..but is there something simpler out there???)

Thanks a lot in advance!!
Willy
Old 11-17-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
Hi,

I would like opinions on a good vocal effects processor. I know there are many out there, but was wondering about those without the expensive harmonies, looper and pitch correction. I'm looking for something simple I can enhance my vocal tone with and maybe get some good acoustic guitar effects? Background info: I play solo acoustic guitar and my vocals... Things are going fine..I dial up pretty much what I want out of my Bose T8s..I'm just looking to experiment/play a little with some pedal ideas. I really like the sound the boss ve 8 puts out..but is there anything out there that has the guitar/vocal effects without the harmonizer, pitch correct..etc. (I get that I can get the VE 8 and just not use what I don't want..but is there something simpler out there???)

Thanks a lot in advance!!
Willy
Hi there,

I'm a far more experienced singer than I am a guitar player, but I've been accompanying myself for 3+ years with acoustic guitar as I sing. The hub of this is a fantastic device known as a T.C. Helicon Play Acoustic. This thing has just about everything you've listed; Vocal FX, Pitch Correction (gentle or full on T-Pain), Vox chorus, reverb, etc. So, it has both vocal and guitar FX in one unit, perfect for what I do....sing and play guitar.

For Guitar, the unit has everything you'd expect, reverb and all that, but the main killer app here is something called 'Bodyres'. Body res can make a cheap guitar sound like a much better guitar, and there are about 4 body res settings you can select and dial-in to taste. This really allows one to shape the 'tone' of the guitar beyond whatever tone does for you on the guitar itself. With a good guitar, it'll add as much different 'character' as you want, and you can tune it how you like. I play with a Martin 000XAE Custom, but the thing sounds amazing with Body Res too. Watch some demos online to learn (and hear) more about this.

I cannot recommend this unit enough!

I use mine with a headphone amp and a Shure SM-58s mic, along with Ultimate Guitar Tabs on iPad (which is mounted to my mic stand). It's a beautiful little setup, and you can send the outs of the PlayAcoustic to your DAW or audio interface too if you want to record.

Good luck!

Old 11-17-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacep0d View Post
Hi there,

I'm a far more experienced singer than I am a guitar player, but I've been accompanying myself for 3+ years with acoustic guitar as I sing. The hub of this is a fantastic device known as a T.C. Helicon Play Acoustic. This thing has just about everything you've listed; Vocal FX, Pitch Correction (gentle or full on T-Pain), Vox chorus, reverb, etc. So, it has both vocal and guitar FX in one unit, perfect for what I do....sing and play guitar.

For Guitar, the unit has everything you'd expect, reverb and all that, but the main killer app here is something called 'Bodyres'. Body res can make a cheap guitar sound like a much better guitar, and there are about 4 body res settings you can select and dial-in to taste. This really allows one to shape the 'tone' of the guitar beyond whatever tone does for you on the guitar itself. With a good guitar, it'll add as much different 'character' as you want, and you can tune it how you like. I play with a Martin 000XAE Custom, but the thing sounds amazing with Body Res too. Watch some demos online to learn (and hear) more about this.

I use mine with a headphone amp and a Shure SM-58s mic, along with Ultimate Guitar Tabs on iPad (which is mounted to my mic stand). It's a beautiful little setup, and you can send the outs of the PlayAcoustic to your DAW or audio interface too if you want to record.

Good luck!
Thanks very much for the suggestion! I'll check it out!
Old 11-17-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacep0d View Post
Hi there,

Good luck!
Sounds like a good setup!
Old 11-17-2018, 04:20 PM

+1 for the Play Acoustic
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 11-17-2018, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

The Play Acoustic is great from what I've read, but if the OP is looking for something simpler than his VE-8 I think he'll have to look elsewhere. Boss VE-8 versus Play Acoustic is like Ford v. Chevy. [Edit: For example, the Bodyres feature on the Play Acoustic, to make some pickups sound less horrible, is called Acoustic Resonance on your VE-8.]

I have the VE-8 and generally like it. The one area where the Play Acoustic *may* be simpler is the readout interface--if you need something more than what's obvious on the VE-8, you're doing some unusual button press combos and reading a tiny window. The Play Acoustic has a larger display I'd expect is much better.

Here's a guy who compared them (plus another I'd never heard of, which he didn't like as much).

https://medium.com/@tsmiller/tc-heli...w-a3242cdc1dfb

Last edited by Chriscom; 11-17-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

I'm gonna add that one harmonizer/guitar effects box I've long been curious about is the TC Helicon Perform VG (where do they get these names). It looks like it *can* be operated more simply, mounted on the mic stand with clear controls within grasp, and then I guess bringing effects in and out with a separate footswitch.

There's something called the TC Helicon Harmony Singer that is super simple, but I've never seen one being used.

This Perform VG listing at Sweetwater has a terrific demo video:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PerformVG
Old 11-18-2018, 01:22 AM

Thumbs up T.C. Helicon MFX Units Kill It Good

TC-Helicon Perform-VG Vocal and Acoustic Guitar Processor & TC-Helicon Play Acoustic are stellar performing units ,
the BodyRez presets can be tweaked & customized to your liking .

I was thinking on getting one or the other but I have some midi gear that I need to keep vocal , guitar(s) & a
midi synth guitar all sync'd and not all those units mentioned has this .

I use a :
BeatBuddy
Roland GR33 guitar synth module
Source Audio SA170 Programmable EQ
T.C.Helicon VoiceLive 3 X

The Source Audio SA170 Prog.EQ & VL3X can not be a master midi time sync'd unit but they can be a slave to the :
BeatBuddy , & the Roland GR33 .

Even if you play an acoustic guitar you are faced with vocal & guitar FX and keeping them in sync .
If you have more than midi controlled or a controlling device it's something to consider .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
boss ve 8, vocal effects