The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-11-2018, 08:26 PM

Default Epiphone Les Paul pickups

For anyone who has actually heard these two pickups, I'm wondering how much difference there is between the pups on a Les Paul standard, with the Alnico Classic Humbuckers, and the ones on the Les Paul standard pro, with the ProBucker 2 & 3 Humbuckers. Is there a significant difference?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 11-12-2018, 12:03 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've waited to answer hoping someone with direct Epi experience would answer first. I don't have modern Epi experience but i have Gibson experience. I'll let you know the difference between the '57 Classics and the Burstbucker Pros. The '57 Classics are really nice production PAF pickups. They sound bright and pretty when clean and round and full when run dirty. They are a reasonably low-output humbucker great for classic sounds. The Burstbucker Pros are built with Alnico V magnets and feature a slighly scooped midrange that comes across as a slightly brighter, pingier sound than the '57 Classics, and with just a bit more gain. Nevertheless they are a sweet-sounding pickup rather than a harsh one. They come standard with a four-wire harness that allows wiring to split the humbucker. The '57 Classic has only recently been offered in a variant with that feature.

All the best,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-12-2018, 01:56 PM

I'm sure you've seen the same threads I have - the epi pickup info is sparse and conflicting. To start, google "epiphone alnico classic pro magnet" and burn an hour or 2.

The Alnico Classic is not the Alnico Classic PRO, which allows coil splitting. The ACP is supposed to replicate Gibson's '57 Classic, BUT the ACP comes with an Alnico V magnet, while the '57 comes with a II. BUT find posts from LT KOJAK who's dissected these pickups and I think he supposedly found the ACP comes with a II magnet, which conflicts with what info others have obtained from Epi, itself, so who knows.

The epi Probucker is supposed to replicate the Gibson Burstbucker, and both are supposed to have Alnico IIs.

If your epi has the quick connects, it's a simple swap to try both - cheap, too, if you find the ebay guy who sells the made-up connector kits for epi - he also sells the pickup sets new. I think I paid $40 for a set of the Probuckers (not yet installed in place of ACPs, which suddenly sound better with my amp's new speaker).

Love to hear if you learn more.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I've waited to answer hoping someone with direct Epi experience would answer first. I don't have modern Epi experience but i have Gibson experience. I'll let you know the difference between the '57 Classics and the Burstbucker Pros. The '57 Classics are really nice production PAF pickups. They sound bright and pretty when clean and round and full when run dirty. They are a reasonably low-output humbucker great for classic sounds. The Burstbucker Pros are built with Alnico V magnets and feature a slighly scooped midrange that comes across as a slightly brighter, pingier sound than the '57 Classics, and with just a bit more gain. Nevertheless they are a sweet-sounding pickup rather than a harsh one. They come standard with a four-wire harness that allows wiring to split the humbucker. The '57 Classic has only recently been offered in a variant with that feature.

All the best,

Bob
I concur with Bob on the Gibson '57 Classic and the Burstbuckers. I have Gibson Les Pauls with both those pickups and the Burstbuckers handle gain more easily (i.e. Iron Maiden). They're both great pickups.

Jerry (OP) - Unfortunately, my response doesn't help you with how those Epiphone pickups sound. Many people who buy Epiphones upgrade the pickups and pots but as always you should play them first to see if they need upgrading. My experience with Epiphone pickups is that they tend to be a little more muddy, i.e. lack clarity, over US made pickups (Gibson, SD, DiMarzio); however, I don't know if I played the pickup you're asking about. I do have two Epiphone Les Pauls but they came stock with US pickups (Slash and Bonamassa models).
Old 11-12-2018, 08:52 PM

I have been desiring a Les Paul style guitar. My closest thing is probably my Gretsch, but it is chambered and is a whole different ballgame. I have found a lot of confusion regarding information on the Epiphone pickups. I have been directed a few different times recently to the 1960 Tribute Plus model with Gibson 57 Classic pups (Retails $800+ but can be had in great shape for $500). Currently debating a model like this vs a Gibson Studio. I’m not sure I can justify a Gibson Standard.

I suppose it all comes down to the same thing as many guitar threads - it is all subjective and we need to hear these things for ourselves. Brands such as Epiphone end up with so many varying opinions, to the point where back to back posts can say drastically different things. A bit maddening.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 11-14-2018, 11:53 AM

I have several Gibson Les Pauls and one Epiphone Les Paul Jr (flat body). The pickups are noticeably different to my ears.

The Epis sound more harsh than the Gibson pickups - I can't describe it more than that though. Just not as pleasing of a sound to me.

You might consider a Gibson Les Paul Studio. They are generally under $1K but feel and sound pretty much like the fancier Pauls. You don't get the bindings or shiny finish, but they play really well.

As a reference, I've played my 1972 Les Paul Custom on and off since 1974 (my oldest son has it now) and I have a Studio now along with a few others and they all play and sound better to me than the Epis I've tried. I can't say why, they just do.

Now, this is just MY opinion - try them both and pick the one that pleases you most.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:30 PM

I’ve only heard/ performed with the probucker 2&3 on the Les Paul Standard Pro*. This guitar was a lemonburst finish with no pickguard stock from the factory. I don’t know why it was labeled a standard of anything - the multi piece body with hard enamel finish neck and veneer maple cap did not work together with the pickups, the latter which were bright and clear and worth more on their own without the instrument.

*limited edition from 2015, MIC Epiphone only factory

Last edited by Jaden; 11-14-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I have several Gibson Les Pauls and one Epiphone Les Paul Jr (flat body). The pickups are noticeably different to my ears.

The Epis sound more harsh than the Gibson pickups - I can't describe it more than that though. Just not as pleasing of a sound to me.

You might consider a Gibson Les Paul Studio. They are generally under $1K but feel and sound pretty much like the fancier Pauls. You don't get the bindings or shiny finish, but they play really well.

As a reference, I've played my 1972 Les Paul Custom on and off since 1974 (my oldest son has it now) and I have a Studio now along with a few others and they all play and sound better to me than the Epis I've tried. I can't say why, they just do.

Now, this is just MY opinion - try them both and pick the one that pleases you most.
Cory: how old is your Epi LP? From what I've read, the newer ones have pickups which are of much higher quality than the older ones.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 11-21-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Cory: how old is your Epi LP? From what I've read, the newer ones have pickups which are of much higher quality than the older ones.
I believe it's from the early 2000's - unfortunately it is not where I can check it any time soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars