The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-19-2007, 01:44 AM

Default I went to the John Mayer concert!!!

Hi all,

I just wanted to share with everyone that I was at the John Mayer concert on the 17th at the Air Canada Center in Toronto, Ontario Canada. My girlfriend got us tickets as a Valentines gift for me and wow what a gift it was!

The show was awesome to say the least. The show started at 7:30 with local Canadian Kathleen Edwards opening and was super. She has a very country feel to her music and was very enjoyable to listen to. John came on around 8:45 and got the entire place pumped up with Belief. Below is the set list so I won't go into that in much detail.

John's displayed a lot of blues flavour as seems to be his style as of late. He went into a few nice intros with some of the songs that you would never hear unless at one of his concerts.

Our seats were a bit high up so I couldn't get a good look but one thing that i noticed was near the end of the concert, I believe he was playing a Tele as opposed to his usual Strats. He switched back and forth from his Strats and Martins otherwise for the most part.

All in all, super show and I would highly recommend going to see him live!

SET LIST
Belief
No Such Thing
Good Love is On the Way
I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)
Why Georgia
Bigger Than My Body
Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
Waiting on the World to Change
Vultures
Clarity
Gravity
-- encore --
Stop This Train
Your Body is a Wonderland
I'm Gonna Find Another You

2008 Taylor Fall Limited Custom-GAce Koa
2006 Taylor GSKS
2008 Taylor Custom GA ovangkol
1959 Gibson Southern Jumbo
2003 Larrivee OM-03e
2004 Simon & Patrick S&P6 Spruce cutaway
2003 LaPatrie Concert Classical
1991 Rickenbacker 4003 Mapleglo
1989 Fender USA Stratocaster
Old 04-19-2007, 07:32 AM

not meaning to hijack the thread, but just want to say hi from one toronto AGF'er to another :-)

I love John Mayer too....didn't even know he was coming to town....but then again, Billy Joel is playing the same venue on Friday and I don't get to go either :-(
2006 T5-S Tobacco burst (40th birthday present from my wife! :-)
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Ibanez Concord 670 (my first guitar!)
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 04-19-2007, 10:38 AM

Sounds like you had a great time. His live music is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsia View Post
My girlfriend got us tickets as a Valentines gift for me and wow what a gift it was!
Hmmmm.... sure that was YOUR Valentine's present. She had an agenda behind that one.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarshall View Post

Hmmmm.... sure that was YOUR Valentine's present. She had an agenda behind that one.
Haha! That's exactly what I was thinking when I read that! That's a bit like buying your wife a riding lawnmower for her birthday. Regardless, glad you guys enjoyed the concert. I've heard he's really really good to see live. (Altho', I still haven't forgiven him for writing that nasty song "Your Body's A Wonderland")

"Those of you who think you know everything, annoy those of us who really do."

1992 Seagull S6 Cedar - "Jonathan"
2004 Gibson Southern Jumbo - "Magic"
2007 Epiphone EL-00 - "Elmo"
2005 Gibson J-185 - "Lily"
Old 04-19-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliangirl View Post
(Altho', I still haven't forgiven him for writing that nasty song "Your Body's A Wonderland")
HAHAHA! I was thinking that throughout the entire time I was there. I was hoping "Oh goodness, I hope he doesn't play that song." Seeing that the crowd there for the show consisted of TONS of young teenage female, I kind of knew that he would.

The bittersweet thing about his concert though was the two songs that I was really hoping to hear were not played: Jimi Hendrix's Bold as Love and Neon. Nonetheless, it was still great to see him perform.

2008 Taylor Fall Limited Custom-GAce Koa
2006 Taylor GSKS
2008 Taylor Custom GA ovangkol
1959 Gibson Southern Jumbo
2003 Larrivee OM-03e
2004 Simon & Patrick S&P6 Spruce cutaway
2003 LaPatrie Concert Classical
1991 Rickenbacker 4003 Mapleglo
1989 Fender USA Stratocaster
Old 04-19-2007, 02:39 PM

What's so bad about "Your Body is a Wonderland"? Do you really think it's a "nasty" song? Seems pretty tame to me and somewhat romantic!

Taylor GS Maple/Spruce
Taylor GS Mahogany/Cedar
Taylor NS44ce
Yamaha APX-5
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Tom Anderson Custom Strats (2)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench. A long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs.
There is also a negative side.
-- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 04-19-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomaniac View Post
What's so bad about "Your Body is a Wonderland"? Do you really think it's a "nasty" song? Seems pretty tame to me and somewhat romantic!
If some guy told me that my body was a wonderland, I'd slug him! (just kidding) And I know I'm not alone in this opinion. The lyrics are also irritating (One pair of candy lips and
Your bubblegum tongue).
Then there's the melody, which obviously appeals to some people, but not me. It just seems like drivel, compared to what Mayer is capable of.

"Those of you who think you know everything, annoy those of us who really do."

1992 Seagull S6 Cedar - "Jonathan"
2004 Gibson Southern Jumbo - "Magic"
2007 Epiphone EL-00 - "Elmo"
2005 Gibson J-185 - "Lily"
Old 04-19-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
It just seems like drivel, compared to what Mayer is capable of.
And he's pretty much said so...maybe not used the word drivel...but close. He *really* didn't want 'Daughters' put out as a single either, despite the success it garnered (he's not giving the Grammy back anytime soon though...) I think if you listen to his non-radio stuff, The Village Sessions, John Mayer Trio, or as you did, see the live show, etc., you get a definitive feel for where he's been, where he is now, and where he's likely going as an artist. I have respect for the 'believability' of his music, great songwriting, ability to reinvent himself, and of course, his killer crazy sick guitar skills.

-oh yeah...and i am CRAZY about the pickups in the Mayer Strat...unlike anything else I have played.

Pat
1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline
2001 Gibson ES-335 ESDT
2008 LM-600-VS 'The Loar' Mandolin
Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 PM

I really like John Mayer. As someone who's just getting going playing (and is a few years younger than Mayer), he's really opened my ears to some new music. I really dig the Bold as Love cover he does (and now I'm listening to a lot of Hendrix).

I'm going to try and scrounge up some money to go see him when he gets to my neighborhood.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:13 PM

My fav Mayer song is "Why, Georgia". Love the acoustic work on it, and it was a great tune IMO.

Mayer was initially dismissed by a bunch of people as being a Dave Matthews wannabee, a "fluff" composer (personally, I do NOT care for "Your Body is A Wonderland" ). However, the man has some chops, and seems to be finding his niche with jazz and blues riffs. Seems he is doing a lot less acoustic stuff as well. I have watched him closely live (on TV) and I think his skills are growing geometrically. He's a serious musician, and not simply a "teeny-bopper" middle-school girl idol. I was kinda "into" him early on, and now he seems to be in another strata. I bet the show was first-rate.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 04-19-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
It just seems like drivel, compared to what Mayer is capable of.
I didn't say I thought it was a good song. I just didn't think it was nasty!
I prefer his bluesy Hendrix type stuff.

Taylor GS Maple/Spruce
Taylor GS Mahogany/Cedar
Taylor NS44ce
Yamaha APX-5
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Tom Anderson Custom Strats (2)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench. A long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs.
There is also a negative side.
-- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 04-20-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstrum View Post
Mayer was initially dismissed by a bunch of people as being a Dave Matthews wannabee...
How could anyone ever say that??? (Obviously being over-dramatic... )

I'd say just about the only thing that Dave Matthews and John Mayer have in common is that they play an acoustic guitar. Looks like we're all wannabees!!

Congrats on the concert dhsia. That's a great set-list! Glad you had a good time, and for the record, I'm very jealous.

Taylor 314ce-LTD
Taylor 514ce
Alvarez Yairi DY-95
Seagull S6
Old 04-20-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
How could anyone ever say that??? (Obviously being over-dramatic... ) I'd say just about the only thing that Dave Matthews and John Mayer have in common is that they play an acoustic guitar. Looks like we're all wannabees!!
Hey danny--I am just the "messenger" so don't kill me! That's what I heard from some folks. Personally, I didn't buy it, but in John's earlier stuff, I can see why it might've been said.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 04-20-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
If some guy told me that my body was a wonderland, I'd slug him! (just kidding) And I know I'm not alone in this opinion. The lyrics are also irritating (One pair of candy lips and
Your bubblegum tongue).
Then there's the melody, which obviously appeals to some people, but not me. It just seems like drivel, compared to what Mayer is capable of.
I think the lyrics to that tune are great. Mayer is describing in a sexy, but not explicit way....a fun afternoon, with a lady friend.

Next to 'Afternoon Delight'....it's the best afternoon-lovemaking song ever!
Old 04-20-2007, 01:00 PM

I'm 47 and have seen a lot of musicians over the years and JM is the real deal, all around. The whole package. Songwriting, lyrics, production and of course in my opinion, truly phenomenal and innovative guitar skills. He can play circles around Dave Mathews. And the can both play circles around me. But yeah he's a world-class talent.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell