The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-09-2007, 01:21 PM

Default First video

Just starting out with YouTube.

Sony AVCHD 30 Gig High Definition camera using a Rode Stereo Videomic at 2 feet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ees0eng27NU
Old 04-09-2007, 03:37 PM

I didn't realize that Lindapinda was you. Very cool, glad to see you on YouTube now! You sound great! What happened to the rest of the song? Also, It is so dark!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:36 PM

I'm uploading the whole thing this time.
I followed Gil's advice and bought Nero 7 and set the target size to 100 meg which as you know is the ceiling size limit for YouTube. It might take an hour or so for conversion at youtube's end of things.
I realize that I'm sort of flat in a few spots and the lighting is not the best but I'm trying
I'm thinking I might use a direct mic next time so that I have greater control over vocal intensity.

Regards, Jack
Old 04-09-2007, 07:08 PM

I walk over to my daughters’ house and tell her to hook it up on Youtube so she could see the first upload. My grandson Eli (three) is really pumped and want’s to do a video with us together. He want’s to play the red guitar (the Nightingale resides in a flaming red, signature Calton case) he just seems to know that this is a very important guitar - I’m thinking I might switch guitars out so he won’t know the difference.

Regards, Jack
Old 04-13-2007, 11:21 AM

This recording handcuffs me; no matter how you try to plan a flawless video there is always stupid stuff that happens like forgetting a chord or even worse, forgetting some words. I'm just going with the first or second try from now on and I'm just going to live with the results. I still believe this an invaluable learning tool and confidence builder towards becoming an entertainer and not just a singer.

Thank you for watching and please don't forget to rate or comment on our videos. Gil, Rick, others and myself always check to see who is watching and invite the critisism as an important guide towards improvement. (or you could just say that we're closet superstars )

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YRFOWuU1Q8A

Regards, Jack
Old 04-14-2007, 02:13 PM

Looks like you are really warming up to the Youtube thing, getting better I see.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:52 PM

I'm starting to get this figuered out. Read my comments at upper right, this explains what media I am using and the pains of getting everything smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUuRzVclhxs

Regards, Jack
Old 04-17-2007, 10:31 PM

Default John Denver's Sunshine on my Shoulders

I have watched many youtube efforts on this song; most often those who post it usually take it off within a week or so. This does not surprise me since I sang it a least 200 times before my video upload. This is a very difficult song to record while maintaning the correct tempo without the guidance of a base guitar run; a full blown band is what's really needed to bring it all together. Many people use midi tracks or karaoke which I may try as well in the future.
The Nightingale was too loud and dominant, so was the Taylor GSRS (aka The Canon), which left me the choice of using the Taylor DDSM which sounds clean and bright ( I still had to hold back the strum pattern else move the videomic back another 2 feet to try to find the sweet spot).
Four hours, 16 recordings, 10 trains, 2 jets, and 3 ringing phones, all today while tying to get this down - so I get lucky on take 16 and there it is, big as life 135meg; so I had to use a different compression scheme to get it to youtube. Let's just call it a day and accept the effort for what it is.

Thanks for listening to my rant and thankyou for viewing the upload.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SPemyM9NjV8

Regards, Jack

Last edited by wedge199; 04-17-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:30 AM

Jack, I think it was great! I like that "brush" technique you use on the 2nd beat. I'm going to learn your version for an upcoming open mic!

Keep 'em coming
Old 04-18-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Not much but here it is

I know Denver closes with a D7 but I like the descending run as I have attempted. This took me many many hours of careful listening and watching before I finally got it down. The best pointer is to use the thumb on the third string and to skip back with the index finger. It's useful for almost any chord change since it gives the brief transition we always seem to need. I credit Paul Larson on Youtube - now there's a man the plays this strum method very clean, be sure to check him out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7hmKRBOoZ6A

Regards, Jack
Old 04-18-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Jack, I think it was great! I like that "brush" technique you use on the 2nd beat. I'm going to learn your version for an upcoming open mic!

Keep 'em coming
Whoa... you posted more tunes! I posted this response in reference to "Sing Me Back Home (2)".

Thanks for the link to that guy's "sunshine" tutorial. Nice stuff!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:58 PM

Hey Solarbean,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mWAdGKm0T48

"Thanks for the link to that guy's "sunshine" tutorial. Nice stuff!"

That guy from the other video was me BTW.

It takes a bit of practice to get comfortable with brush strumming - toss away that flatpick and you will find that it comes to you rather easily after a few attempts.

Regards, Jack
Old 04-19-2007, 04:08 PM

Great videos! I checked out your channel and shared it with my friends network. Hope you get some more folks rating and commenting on your videos. Your playing and singing is excellent!
Old 04-19-2007, 11:18 PM

Thanks Gil, that was very kind of you. I was sort of wondering how come you never noticed me.

I prefer to just use this thread topic as a info spot for new uploads as opposed to starting new threads every time I do another Youtube upload - just my personal preference.

On another bright note:
Several months ago, I started a thread about wishing for a female with keyboard experience and the ups and downs of getting my spouse on board with the idea of me singing with another female at an open mic.
I ran into Annie at the “Filling Station” that’s for you Gil. I noticed a guitar behind the register “ no spatula” and asked her about it. Seems she is just taking lessons. So I say that I just started playing again myself after a 17 year lapse and that I just did some uploads to Youtube the day before. She said to email her the links and that she would love to see them.
To make a long story short – she approached me and asked if we could do some covers together and maybe some open mics. We get together this weekend just to get to know each other….

Baby its Cold Outside, Suddenly Seymour, and lots of country & folk, well at least that’s my dream for the moment. I am really pumped and hopefully we can get a few Youtube uploads out of our first meeting, but I’m not going to push at all, rather I’m going in slow & easy with an open mind regarding material etc…

Best Regards, Jack

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell