The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-19-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Major vocal issue!!!!!!!

So I was very sick for about 3 weeks (pneumonia and flu) and have been feeling fine for about 2 weeks now but my voice hasnt come back well enough to sing with. I have a VERY limited range now..... cannot hit higher notes as hard as I try. Has anyone had this happen before? After 2 weeks of being over the flu and i still cannot sing!! Should I see the doc about this at this point?
1997 Jimmie Vaughan sig Strat
1998 Ibanez AE-18
1974 Alvarez 5052 Jumbo
Mackie 808M w/ C300i speakers
Shure Beta 58
Lexicon Lambda
Many effects pedals....

AOL screen name: DMB51599
Old 04-19-2007, 12:51 AM

See the doc AND a reputable voice teacher. Flu (especially with a lot of coughing) can result in both laryngeal edema and bruising or even hemorrhage on a vocal fold (screaming did it once in my case). Ask the teacher to evaluate the problem---are your cords (folds) just not coming together in the upper register (air blows past and they can't fully vibrate against each other)? An ENT doc can check this out with a laryngoscope. What I would do for sure in the meantime is as much vocal rest as possible--don't even whisper (that is more irritating than speaking softly). If you do have a bruise or hemorrhage, it needs rest to heal--and then proper exercise to regain tone and range. And drink as much water as you can stand.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:17 AM

It usually takes a while for your voice to back at 100%, even after the flu. Youre probably in no real danger, just make sure you take care of it. Dont overtalk or undertalk. Whispering is just as harmful as yelling. Drink lots and lots of ater to help restore the chords. You might get it checked out, but I would wait another couple of weeks if it were me. It really does just take a while sometimes.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:52 PM

I have had this happen a number of times. Takes me about 3 weeks usually to return to normal after a cold.

Linda
Old 04-19-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaW View Post
I have had this happen a number of times. Takes me about 3 weeks usually to return to normal after a cold.

Linda

Agreed. Same here. Missed out weeks of vocal tuition due to recovering after a cold.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:35 PM

Yep. You could try drinking some olive oil too

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 04-19-2007, 02:20 PM
In The Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
Which will, as an added benefit, help if you are constipated...

- Devin
Isaiah 38:20
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars
Old 04-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Although most people (including me) get a diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus (DPT) vaccination as children, pertussis (whooping cough) in particular is on-the-rise in older adults. The vaccination is wearing off. Whooping cough hit me big time in 1996 at age 40. I'd get into coughing bouts and couldn't breathe and bring up blood. It was bad and lasted for months. I've since been re-vaccinated. I'm not a great singer even now, but back then, my singing voice was shot for quite a long time. I would say that for the last few years, my voice has become better than ever (again, not great by any stretch). My point is, if mine recovered after what I went through with pertussis, I'm pretty sure yours will to, and in a relative short time.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
Since nothing actually touches the chords, none of those "remedies" you here of help. The only thing that really helps is water, since your body absrbs it and rehydrates your chords, and body.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:22 AM

I completely lost my voice once with a cold, could only whisper. I would say it took 2-3 to get my complete range back, It will come back however, just let it heal man, let it heal.....
Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 AM

I had the same thing happen a couple of months ago. It did take about 3 weeks before I didn't sound like Johhny Cash. It improved gradually over that time, but it seemed to linger a little for awhile.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cominghome419 View Post
Since nothing actually touches the chords, none of those "remedies" you here of help. The only thing that really helps is water, since your body absrbs it and rehydrates your chords, and body.
Then nothings hurts them either...

Another Martini, Doctor!!!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 04-20-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayloresque View Post
Although most people (including me) get a diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus (DPT) vaccination as children, pertussis (whooping cough) in particular is on-the-rise in older adults. The vaccination is wearing off. Whooping cough hit me big time in 1996 at age 40. I'd get into coughing bouts and couldn't breathe and bring up blood. It was bad and lasted for months. I've since been re-vaccinated. I'm not a great singer even now, but back then, my singing voice was shot for quite a long time. I would say that for the last few years, my voice has become better than ever (again, not great by any stretch). My point is, if mine recovered after what I went through with pertussis, I'm pretty sure yours will to, and in a relative short time.
Amen!! My sister had a horrible cough a couple years ago and I told her to make her doctor give her a pertussis test. He laughed but did it...laughed until the test came back positive....

L.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
Then nothings hurts them either...

Another Martini, Doctor!!!
Haha, not true! since alcohol dehydrates you, it dehydrates your chords as well. And smoke, especially with all of the inhaling cigarette smokers do, DOES touch the chords.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell