The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-04-2022, 09:53 AM

Default Swimming

Anyone else find this a kind of all-round good-health panacea?

One advantage to living in SE Florida (and there aren't too many!) is the fact that many housing communities come with a pool and a climate which enables all-year-round swimming. Well, all-year-round swimming for mad Englishman who don't mind swimming in very cold water, that is - in these winter months, none of the Latinos living here dare dip a toe in the pool beyond late October!

I've been quite busy at work over the last two months, and I let my swimming go. At 63, I began to feel a growing stiffness about the shoulders and a tender feeling in the knees at times. But since Thanksgiving, I've got straight back into it with my twenty lengths every other night or so, and the benefits have been almost instantaneous. My whole body feels taut and elastic once again.

Over the years I've lived here, I've swum regularly, apart from a few lapses. I've found it to be an amazing way of keeping physically and mentally healthy. Although I don't like the process - getting wet, the first cold 'plunge', the repetitive and strenuous movements - I more than like the after-effects.

Anyone else an advocate for swimming?
Old 12-04-2022, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Yes. I swim 4-5 days/week and have never felt better than I do at 72...
Old 12-04-2022, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyone else an advocate for swimming?
Most definitely.
I've been into lap swimming for a number of years now, going back to the 80s. I became proficient enough to join the Masters program and compete in some meets with my fellow swimmer friends. (The program is open to everyone though. It's not based on how well you swim).
My go to strokes are freestyle and breast stroke.
I had sinus surgery earlier this year, so that has set back my swim activity some, but I hope to get back into it as soon as I get the green light from the docs.
In a way, I have to be careful about overdoing it, because I've always been prone to rhinitis and low grade sinus infection issues from the pool, which is what likely led to my need for some surgery. I just can't get out of the pool when I swim and just do too many yards (4000+ per session when I last swam. That's too much, and is way more than I need to stay in shape), so I have to cut that down a lot, and probably learn to use a nose clip. I ordered a few a little while ago to try once I get back in the water. It'll be an adjustment. They really feel tight, which I guess is the point. I hope it doesn't throw my breathing rhythm off, but I'll see. Life is all about compromises the older you get.
But back to your question. Yes, it's a wonderful way to stay in shape, and is especially good on the joints. I applaud you for incorporating swimming into a health maintenance routine.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-04-2022, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Yes, swimming is a lifetime activity...
Our season is from May until October. We volunteer at our community pool these days (the best pool is someone else's)

Growing up, my family had several pools at various houses. We were in the water everyday...Dad taught me to swim and he swam every night after work to de-stress (in season). Swam competitively through high school year round, and then quit. Swimming causes a lot less stress injuries on joints and muscles, and good for heart health, better in my opinion than most other sports/workout hobbies as I have aged.

Now retired, we swim most days during the summer (non-heated pool)...it really helps with aches and pains and keeps you feeling vibrant at our age. So yeah, great lifetime activity!
Old 12-04-2022, 12:21 PM

I'm not fast but am functional. I like open water and drift snorkeling. It is there with cycling and walking for something I can still do with less hurt or degradation now that I'm in my 60s.

My biggest frustration is the way my eyes need glasses. I will wear distance only contacts under a mask or goggles at times. I don't so often just jump in for a longer swim when at cabin not liking the without glasses matter.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Most definitely.
I've been into lap swimming for a number of years now, going back to the 80s. I became proficient enough to join the Masters program and compete in some meets with my fellow swimmer friends. (The program is open to everyone though. It's not based on how well you swim).
My go to strokes are freestyle and breast stroke.
I had sinus surgery earlier this year, so that has set back my swim activity some, but I hope to get back into it as soon as I get the green light from the docs.
In a way, I have to be careful about overdoing it, because I've always been prone to rhinitis and low grade sinus infection issues from the pool, which is what likely led to my need for some surgery. I just can't get out of the pool when I swim and just do too many yards (4000+ per session when I last swam. That's too much, and is way more than I need to stay in shape), so I have to cut that down a lot, and probably learn to use a nose clip. I ordered a few a little while ago to try once I get back in the water. It'll be an adjustment. They really feel tight, which I guess is the point. I hope it doesn't throw my breathing rhythm off, but I'll see. Life is all about compromises the older you get.
But back to your question. Yes, it's a wonderful way to stay in shape, and is especially good on the joints. I applaud you for incorporating swimming into a health maintenance routine.
All my family were into swimming during our growing-up years. All four boys swam competitively, all 5 girls did synchronized swimming. My next younger brother, who was the star swimmer in our family, swims in the Masters program pretty regularly to this day.

I have lived in a cold climate for the last four decades and so swimming has not been particularly convenient for me. Also, I do so much outdoor work on my property that I really do not need to find other ways to work out. I do use a Nordic Track in my studio during the coldest winter months. I haven't been in a pool for years. I wouldn't mind starting up swimming again, but my shoulders are so full of arthritis, I don't know if I could even do the crawl stroke.

- Glenn
Old 12-04-2022, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I wouldn't mind starting up swimming again, but my shoulders are so full of arthritis, I don't know if I could even do the crawl stroke.

- Glenn
You start with what you CAN do and at a point where it doesn't do harm. That's what I did three or so years ago when I jumped back into the deep end...
Old 12-04-2022, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
All my family were into swimming during our growing-up years. All four boys swam competitively, all 5 girls did synchronized swimming. My next younger brother, who was the star swimmer in our family, swims in the Masters program pretty regularly to this day.

I have lived in a cold climate for the last four decades and so swimming has not been particularly convenient for me. Also, I do so much outdoor work on my property that I really do not need to find other ways to work out. I do use a Nordic Track in my studio during the coldest winter months. I haven't been in a pool for years. I wouldn't mind starting up swimming again, but my shoulders are so full of arthritis, I don't know if I could even do the crawl stroke.

- Glenn
Glenn, sorry to hear about your shoulder pains. I feel very fortunate I haven't had to deal with any joint issues, so far, although I realize they can show up unexpectedly at our age.
I agree with RP that a pool can still provide some lower body and cardio benefits, but a Nordic Track is a great way to stay in shape.
Workouts come in many forms for me too these days. Lots of leaf raking days in the fall and soon, many winter shoveling episodes I'm sure. Those alone are more than sufficient.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-05-2022, 01:20 AM

I live near a lake and swim there most days from mid March until mid October. I try and get away from Ireland in the winter but would continue swimming in a short wetsuit if I stayed.
It's definitely great, gentle, all round good for you exercise, I am 73.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:51 AM

I love swimming as a workout.

A LONG time ago I swam NCAA in college. I'm pulling a lot more ballast thru the water than I did back then, but still have a pretty good stroke/technique. On the days I go to the pool I swim a mile - but I'm not setting any speed records.

Back in the day we'd go 6-8 miles a day - and swim it FAST. No way I could do that now.

Last edited by 815C; 12-05-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:28 PM

Swimming is great low impact exercise.

If you have access to water take advantage of it.

Martin OOO-10E
Bristol BB-16

Over a dozen ukuleles.

My YouTube channel- https://youtube.com/c/VicSchmeltz
Old 12-08-2022, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

When I was, a swimmer. In my younger days. I liked diving. River diving to be exact.

My favorite height was 40ft. give or take, due to river height.

After my lung surgery, some 40+ years later. Dr. said anything deeper than a bathtub would be risky.

But in my younger days I was like a fish. Would swim upstream till muscles hurt. Then float back down.

Once I got used to swimming in the river. A pool just didn't do it for me. And we had a pool.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:05 PM

I like it, but only do it in warm weather now. My last house had a pool, and then I swam every day until it got too cold. I even swam on rainy days. I especially loved swimming at night and did so every night before bed. I’d keep all of the pool and yard lights off and float on my back in the dark, looking at the stars and the Milky Way overhead. I did lots of thinking out there in the water at night. I miss it, but life marches on.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I especially loved swimming at night and did so every night before bed.
That's when I swim - when the sun has gone down and the pool is lit up. I usually have the pool to myself at that time, too!
Old 12-13-2022, 10:00 AM

I love swimming for the exact same reason that I find it to be an incomplete exercise: buoyancy takes the weight off of my bones and joints.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic