The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 10:16 AM

Default New Neil Young Documentary Tomorrow Only

Just found out about this. A never before released 2 hour film from 1971 focusing on the recording of the Harvest album. Web says it was filmed at his N Cal ranch studio, plus has footage from concerts during 1971. A review I read mentioned there was lots of acoustic guitar content.

It's only showing Dec 1st and 4th (tomorrow, Sunday). All the showtimes in my area seem to be in the afternoon on the 4th, the cost of my ticket was $16+$2.

Google Neil Young Harvest Time and click on the result that says official site and you can see where (if) it's playing in your area, and you can buy a ticket through that site. Many seats were available when I bought mine Saturday morning.

I"m guessing it will eventually be available to stream, buy or rent, but the big screen big sound theater version will probably not be repeated. I definitely want to experience that.

Would love to read comments from anyone who goes to see it.

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 12-03-2022, 10:23 AM

I would love to watch that! i just recently discovered "Unknown Legend".
Old 12-03-2022, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I saw it on Thursday night and it was really enjoyable. Some footage with the CSN guys in the studio that was just delightful.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-03-2022, 05:16 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Thanks for the heads-up! My wife and I bought tickets for a local showing tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to it!
Old 12-04-2022, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

When I first used the record function, on my Capeheart LP/AM/FM/8-Trak back in the 70's. Heart Of Gold, and Knockin' On Heaven's Door, were the first two songs I ever recorded and heard back to myself.

In all my years of playing. I don't think I ever played another Neil Young song.

Unless you count Buffalo Springfield.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:38 AM

You can also get it it on the Harvest 50th Anniversary set.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 12-04-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
I would love to watch that! i just recently discovered "Unknown Legend".
Have you listened to the cover of that song by Shovels and Ropes? So so good
Old 12-04-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Have you listened to the cover of that song by Shovels and Ropes? So so good
Try Mandolin Orange's version.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Harvest!

Got mine to go. Up here in Anchorage Alaska. The theatre has those nice big recliner seats. Looking forward to it. Saw the trailer and saw a broadcast on the Howard Stern show with Young explaining some of the footage. Looks like it’s gonna be great. I mean, It’s Neil! Going to be great.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Very good yes, did you know they changed their name to The Watchhouse? It was confusing to me because Mandolin Orange isn't on Spotify now, it comes up as Watchhouse, even the album covers!
Old 12-04-2022, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Wow.

GF and I went to see it this afternoon. There were not that many folks attending, and at 66, I was clearly the oldest in the audience. The median age was probably 35 - speaks to Young's staying power, he's continued to write new stuff across the decades.

Great footage, it was nice to see Neil up close from so long ago.

Glad I saw this thread, it hadn't been on my radar.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:51 PM
Anticipation Junkie

My wife and I saw it this afternoon as well. I’m 66, there weren’t that many in the audience...maybe six couples, who were all in our age group.

In his current day intro to the film, couldn’t help but notice that he can’t seem to tell that one sideburn is much longer on his left side...or maybe it’s a Neil style thing...trying to start a trend.

Throughout the film, Neil was always cheerful, smiling and happy. What a beautiful ranch! We really enjoyed this film from beginning to end. Some tidbits...

- It was funny watching him play with a piece of cowpie in his hand while laying in the field talking with the guy filming, while he was enjoying hearing his music that the band had recorded in the barn echoing off the hills.

- Amazing footage that transitioned from daytime looking at the barn from afar where the band was playing, to pitch black nighttime with just the open barn door illuminated with them playing, then the camera backing away to take in the setting sun behind. Breathtaking!

- Really amused by the young boy in a studio who interviewed Neil.

- It was interesting to note while he was recording in London, that the London Symphony Orchestra could not keep proper “time” with him on piano, which he was frustrated by. The explanation was that they can play the notes on the sheet, but lacked the feeling that came through Neil’s playing and singing. After all was done, he seemed to be satisfied enough with the result.

- It was great seeing the creative process of the harmony parts come together with Young, Crosby and Stills and later, Young, Nash and Stills. Brilliant stuff!

- Loved that he ended the film with Heart Of Gold, then Old Man. A little before that, Neil is seen sitting in his old Jeep with an old man standing outside of it. I’m not sure, but didn’t Neil write Old Man inspired by the man he’d bought the ranch from, and was that Old Man THE Old Man?

So glad we saw this film!

Last edited by Acousticado; 12-04-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Unfortunately, I missed it (too busy this weekend!), although there is one more showing about 20-30 minutes away this coming Wednesday. I've seen a few of these clips on YouTube over the years and looks forward to seeing the entire film someday (hoping it becomes available for home viewing, eventually).

Did they address the current ownership of the ranch? The reason I ask is that I read he left Pegi with the ranch, when they divorced and he moved in with Daryl in LA. Since then, he's been there and at her ranch in Telluride, CO. Pegi since passed away, so I'm wondering if he retained ownership, or if he gained possession in the divorce, and it's perhaps been passed down to their children.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fantastic! Any suggestions for a Harvest Moon cover?
Old 12-05-2022, 08:38 AM

I will save you the trouble of watching the video.

1-NY joins a bunch of bands that he leaves mid tour/album.

2-NY runs his mouth about the climate ect while he drives gas guzzling monsters around his ranch that produces jack all while he shakes his fist and virtue signals to everyone else.

3-After a releasing some great content as a younger man, while cutting and running on everyone NY ends up producing several absolutely terrible albums in his late adult life that may be some of the worst music ever written?
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion