The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-27-2022, 03:26 AM

Default Seeking Reasonably Priced LISTENING & NOISE CANCELLING Headphones...

Have used AKG semi-open AKG K240's since the 1980s for mixing, production, mastering, etc, etc.

Now, I'm seeking some phones to use when rehearsing and recording. I need motivation and sound that inspires!

The tech has been around for decades, so it need not break the bank unless it's just marketing hype directed to novices and newbies.

Please let me know what headphones give you inspiration...

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-27-2022, 07:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm101 View Post
Have used AKG semi-open AKG K240's since the 1980s for mixing, production, mastering, etc, etc.

Now, I'm seeking some phones to use when rehearsing and recording. I need motivation and sound that inspires!

The tech has been around for decades, so it need not break the bank unless it's just marketing hype directed to novices and newbies.

Thanks in advance!
Michael,
Are you looking for noise-cancelling headphones for non-listening times, as when you're trying to nap and there's leaf blowers outside?

And are you wanting to use the same headphones for listening to your own playing & playback, etc?

I have a pair of Bose QC-25 that I use primarily for blocking out the world when I'm napping. I've also used them for studio monitor work, but I prefer my Sony 7506 for listening, but they don't have noise cancelling.

My sense is that it would be hard to find a pair that do both really well, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 11-27-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Michael,
Are you looking for noise-cancelling headphones for non-listening times, as when you're trying to nap and there's leaf blowers outside?

And are you wanting to use the same headphones for listening to your own playing & playback, etc?

I have a pair of Bose QC-25 that I use primarily for blocking out the world when I'm napping. I've also used them for studio monitor work, but I prefer my Sony 7506 for listening, but they don't have noise cancelling.

My sense is that it would be hard to find a pair that do both really well, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Thanks, Howard. I confused "noise-cancelling" with "non-bleed."

I seek an inspiring listening experience without any bleed into a large diaphragm condenser mic that may be in front of me.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm101 View Post

Thanks in advance!
I've been using Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro phones for several years and absolutely love them for recording and general listening. They are super comfortable, too.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

My wife got me a set of Bose CQ (over ear) NC headphones, and they are incredible. And they are incredibly expensive!
I got a pair of JBL TNC phones for another reason, and have to say, they are probably as good as the BOSE, although with somewhat less padding. (the bose have leather ear cups)
If I had to A/B them, including the price tag, I'd probably go with the JBLs. If money were no object, the Bose would win by a hair.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN