The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-19-2022, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Default Confessions of a new electric player after one week

Well, the first thing is that after a week I now realize that I should have gotten one of these a long time ago!

I've been playing acoustic for 6 years and whenever I wanted an electric in there past, I'd just go to GC, plug in and mess around for a while, and it would get me over it. The last time, playing the new Epi 335 just made me want one, and I finally got one last week. So far it's been a lot of fun and I'm learning new stuff.

I think it's going to raise my playing to a higher level. For the past four or so years, I've focused on my singing, learning new songs, adding little licks and bass runs. Right now I'm learning the lead stuff to ''Brown Eyed Girl''. I know it's way over done, but at the acoustic song circles that I've gone to, someone is going to do it. If I can play the lead stuff for it, I'll feel pretty darn good about my playing.

So, to wrap up, I'm having a ball with the new guitar, learning new things, and really happy with the new Epi es335!

Old 11-19-2022, 12:20 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Just know that if you pull that thing out in acoustic guitar circles, some of them are likely to look at you as if you just grew antlers. Ask me how I know.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-19-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Just know that if you pull that thing out in acoustic guitar circles, some of them are likely to look at you as if you just grew antlers. Ask me how I know.

Bob
LOL!

But yea,, pretty much truth right there.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-19-2022, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

congrats, Lowrider.
Personally, I'm still in the camp out at GC group...but getting closer.
Enjoy, and that fireplace looks very appealing on a cold rainy day over here.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Well, all summer we were playing in my back yard, so they can't kick me out of there. I think the key will be to get one of those small battery powered amps, so I'm a little more stealth.

I also think that all this slick playing that I'm working on will translate back to acoustic, although right now it doesn't

But it's fun and it's working my brain in another way. That's on of the reasons I started this in the first place, to exercise my brain.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
...I think it's going to raise my playing to a higher level. For the past four or so years, I've focused on my singing, learning new songs, adding little licks and bass runs. Right now I'm learning the lead stuff to ''Brown Eyed Girl''...
It will, if you initially treat as a related instrument that just happens to share the same tuning - IME once you start working through an amp you'll find it to be a whole 'nuther ball game, and just as a trained pianist can play organ to an extent (and vice versa) there's a definite difference in feel and touch required to bring out its best; that said, unless you're planning to do five-step bends extensively you may want to consider going up to a heavier string set in order to minimize the learning curve - in any event, I'd strongly recommend a wound G in the interest of a more familiar string-to-string feel. BTW I used a Bugera V5 at the local acoustic get-togethers - sounds like a real tube guitar amp (which it is) and can be dialed back easily to blend with acoustic instruments...

Since you've already been working on bringing licks and bass runs into your acoustic vocals, once you get some play time under your belt you might want to try the same with electric; with a little practice you can introduce some chordal/blues/pentatonic-based patterns, and since not too many players take the time/effort to develop this technique it can really add some flash to your stage show - and while you may not be able to play the "Brown-Eyed Girl" lead note-for-note, if you can cop enough of the essentials and still carry the lead vocals I think it'll take it out of the "overplayed" category in a heartbeat...

Use it well, often and LOUD...
Old 11-19-2022, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Hi Lowrider,

That's cool that you are enjoying this new experience of the electric guitar! And your new Epi 335 sure has a pretty sunburst!

- Glenn
Old 11-19-2022, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Excellent choice as that's a beauty! I've returned to electric about a month ago when Fender had a sale on a pacific rim constructed tele. Having not played an electric in decades I was initially at a loss what to play. Tonight I put on Bobby Blue Bland's version of Stormy Monday and most of it just 'came back' when I took a run at playing a lead. I've still got a long way to go, but like you I'm having a good time! Keep enjoying it.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:52 PM

Congratulations I had an Epi 355 a few years ago and gave it to a friend when I moved.

Last edited by catt; 11-20-2022 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:00 AM

I started with electric, and my reaction was similar when I picked an acoustic for the first time. Now I picked up a bass and can’t put it down.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:38 AM

I have the Epi 339. A little smaller in size. How do you find this one for size? Is it comfortable to hold?
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 11-20-2022, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

I'm used to playing a Martin J body and the es335 is about the same shape but much narrower. I feel right at home with it.

What surprises me is that I don't notice any difference between the 1 11/16 nut and the 1 3/4 I've been playing. When I went from my 1 11/16 Yamaha to a Martin, I didn't notice anything and now I still don't.

Maybe it's just my crappy playing but I feel totally comfortable with my new guitar.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:47 AM

Beautiful guitar! I took the electric leap last August and am having a blast. It actually inspired me to play more. Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 11-20-2022, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Nice! Enjoy it!

I'm on the fence about picking up an electric, but I was looking at this Fender Player Telecaster - I keep hearing Sultan's Of Swing's lead in my head every time I look at it,

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

I'm with you...keep hearing tunes in my head that an acoustic just won't do....different songs but same concept.
Got in trouble earlier this year when I kept hearing a bass line for a song idea....now there is an upright bass sitting next to me in the music room.
I expect the electric guitar is next---

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Nice! Enjoy it!

I'm on the fence about picking up an electric, but I was looking at this Fender Player Telecaster - I keep hearing Sultan's Of Swing's lead in my head every time I look at it,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars