The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-14-2022, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

I’m a fingerstyle player so here’s my experience with carbon fiber guitars that primarily serve a role as my travel/take anywhere guitar.

First was a Rainsong P-12. Lovely but small parlor sound so I sold it and bought their OM/000 size 12 fret. Big step up in volume but maybe a touch boomy. Sold that guitar and got an Emerald X-20 which was a 14 fret but with a short scale. Aesthetically a beautiful guitar but I did not bond with its tone. Sold it and ended up with a Rainsong Al Pettaway Signature and it has hit a home run for me. Plain Jane looks but it has a clarity and focus as well as just amazing string to string balance which is what a fingerstyle player is looking for. It’s the keeper for me.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-15-2022, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I’m a fingerstyle player so here’s my experience with carbon fiber guitars that primarily serve a role as my travel/take anywhere guitar.

First was a Rainsong P-12. Lovely but small parlor sound so I sold it and bought their OM/000 size 12 fret. Big step up in volume but maybe a touch boomy. Sold that guitar and got an Emerald X-20 which was a 14 fret but with a short scale. Aesthetically a beautiful guitar but I did not bond with its tone. Sold it and ended up with a Rainsong Al Pettaway Signature and it has hit a home run for me. Plain Jane looks but it has a clarity and focus as well as just amazing string to string balance which is what a fingerstyle player is looking for. It’s the keeper for me.
I’ve never heard of the Rainsong APSE. I will look into that. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

After doing some (a lot) of research in the past 24 hours, it looks like the Rainsong APSE or APLE is the one for me. Reverb has had some used ones at very good prices in the past, will have to be patient. Thanks, all.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Don't forget the 12-fret guitars that are available from Rainsong...
+1
I have a custom X-20, ordered with the same 24.875 scale length as my RainSong Concert Hybrid Orchestra Model 12 Fret. The RainSong is easier to play, equally responsive to a light touch, and has much more headroom. The X-20 has more frets and upper access, and the ergonomics are nice, but for my ears the RainSong has the edge in overall tone and sound. It’s also very comfortable to play.
The X-20 is now with my youngest son. He’s a far better guitarist than me, plays all the way up the neck, and loves it. It’s a perfect gigging guitar for him, too.
Emeralds are quality instruments from a great company, and so are RainSongs.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 11-18-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
+1
I have a custom X-20, ordered with the same 24.875 scale length as my RainSong Concert Hybrid Orchestra Model 12 Fret. The RainSong is easier to play, equally responsive to a light touch, and has much more headroom. The X-20 has more frets and upper access, and the ergonomics are nice, but for my ears the RainSong has the edge in overall tone and sound. It’s also very comfortable to play.
The X-20 is now with my youngest son. He’s a far better guitarist than me, plays all the way up the neck, and loves it. It’s a perfect gigging guitar for him, too.
Emeralds are quality instruments from a great company, and so are RainSongs.
Did you order that before or after Emerald started using the 3D Builder? When you were talking to Emerald about custom necks, did they mention a 24.875 scale length with a 12-fret neck join?
Old 11-19-2022, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
Did you order that before or after Emerald started using the 3D Builder? When you were talking to Emerald about custom necks, did they mention a 24.875 scale length with a 12-fret neck join?
Before the 3D builder, and it’s the newer pinless bridge model. The up charge was pricey, and I already had my 12 fret RainSong, so didn’t want to pay even more for the 12 fret option. If you want that short scale and 12 fret combo, RainSong has stock models, and it would be possible to buy one from a US dealer with a return policy. With Emerald you would be taking more of a chance, plus the wait time. Maybe someone here has gotten that combo and can chime in.
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Old 11-19-2022, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Before the 3D builder, and it’s the newer pinless bridge model. The up charge was pricey, and I already had my 12 fret RainSong, so didn’t want to pay even more for the 12 fret option. If you want that short scale and 12 fret combo, RainSong has stock models, and it would be possible to buy one from a US dealer with a return policy. With Emerald you would be taking more of a chance, plus the wait time. Maybe someone here has gotten that combo and can chime in.
Alas (and how often do you get to say "Alas"?), RainSong has changed their business model and no longer utilizes dealers.
Old 11-19-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Already have a 12-fret RainSong Concert OM that I absolutely love. Just saving my pennies now for a similar X20.

If you don't mind my asking, how much was that 12 fret upcharge? I have slightly limited mobility in my left arm and a 12-fret body join is a must for me.
Old 11-19-2022, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

I am so glad I got my new 2022 RainSong BI-DR1000N2 at my local dealer earlier this year before Rainsong Direct Marketing kicked in!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-19-2022, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
Already have a 12-fret RainSong Concert OM that I absolutely love. Just saving my pennies now for a similar X20.

If you don't mind my asking, how much was that 12 fret upcharge? I have slightly limited mobility in my left arm and a 12-fret body join is a must for me.
I don’t remember the amount of a 12 fret upcharge. Besides the ergonomic shape, there may not be much size difference. I like the RainSong neck better, and I was also able to get lower action on the RainSong. One thing I noticed with my original stock 25 1/2” X-20 (sold after the short scale came), and the short scale X-20, was that both had less headroom than my RainSong. All three guitars were equally responsive to the lightest touch.
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Old 11-20-2022, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

oops...wrong info

Last edited by jdinco; 11-20-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Unless it has changed, there is no upcharge for the 12 fret neck.
I believe the reference was to Emerald, not Rainsong. IIRC, the upcharge for the short scale Emerald was $550
Old 11-20-2022, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
I believe the reference was to Emerald, not Rainsong. IIRC, the upcharge for the short scale Emerald was $550
Yes, the upcharge was for the short scale neck on the Emerald. My RainSong is a stock model.
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Old 04-05-2023, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

FYI -
In a conversation with Emerald about a month ago, the up-charge for a 12-Fret neck on an X-20 was $300. I'm not sure why it would be so different than the $550 noted earlier. Note: I do not know if going to the 12-Fret neck changes the scale or number of frets (I asked but never got an answer). I didn't end up ordering it, but thought I would pass on the information since it was asked in this thread.
2023 Rainsong WS Nashville LE2
Old 04-05-2023, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

I ended up getting an APSE from a group member. Amazing guitar for fingerstyle. On par with a very nice wood guitar of the same size and features.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber