The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-12-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Default 12 Fret Carbon Fiber Guitars

I’ve come to appreciate smaller body, shorter scale 12 fret guitars and thinking of pursuing a 12 fret carbon fiber guitar. I would appreciate the Group’s input.

I have an Emerald X-20 for a baseline, so
1. How does the sound of the Emerald X-7 compare to the X-20 and
2. How does the X-7 sound compared to similar guitars?
Thanks
Gary
Old 11-12-2022, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I had an older X7OS for a few years, but ultimately sold it because the tone was thinner than my RS Shorty LE (another 12 fret.) It was just a matter of body volume, I think. That said, if I were traveling or needed a smaller 12 fret another X7 would be on my shortlist.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 11-12-2022, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Don't forget the 12-fret guitars that are available from Rainsong...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-12-2022, 04:24 PM

I just got a new X7 from Emerald. I bought one of their in-stock models that had the Ghost Piezo pickup. I asked them if they could add in the K&K contact pickups and they did. Only took a week and an extra $150.

All my other guitars are 14 fret models, so I was a little unsure how I would like it. I've been playing it constantly now for about a week and I absolutely love it. The heelless neck attachment at the cutaway means you can actually get up to the 18th fret without a problem. So it really is the best of both worlds. It sounds fantastic and I find it very easy to play. It arrived perfectly set up, but the Graphtech bridge allows for individual string adjustment in case you want to tweak it.

Plugged in, it blew me away. You can dial in any mixture you want of the Ghost piezo and the K&K. I love my Rainsong with the Baggs Element, but I think this beats it. I plan to post a comparison when I have time.

You can get a $100.00 coupon from their website. They also now have free shipping and, because there is no tax for a US purchase, you save another $100-$200. So, I think this guitar is a great deal.

Rainsong WS 1000
Gibson J45
Martin D12-18
Journey OF660
Beard Copper Mountain Resonator
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Emerald X7
Old 11-12-2022, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood1 View Post
I just got a new X7 from Emerald. I bought one of their in-stock models that had the Ghost Piezo pickup. I asked them if they could add in the K&K contact pickups and they did. Only took a week and an extra $150.

All my other guitars are 14 fret models, so I was a little unsure how I would like it. I've been playing it constantly now for about a week and I absolutely love it. The heelless neck attachment at the cutaway means you can actually get up to the 18th fret without a problem. So it really is the best of both worlds. It sounds fantastic and I find it very easy to play. It arrived perfectly set up, but the Graphtech bridge allows for individual string adjustment in case you want to tweak it.

Plugged in, it blew me away. You can dial in any mixture you want of the Ghost piezo and the K&K. I love my Rainsong with the Baggs Element, but I think this beats it. I plan to post a comparison when I have time.

You can get a $100.00 coupon from their website. They also now have free shipping and, because there is no tax for a US purchase, you save another $100-$200. So, I think this guitar is a great deal.
Thanks for the input, Jerry. As to tax, sometimes they charge it and sometimes not. I had to pay it on my X-20.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
Thanks for the input, Jerry. As to tax, sometimes they charge it and sometimes not. I had to pay it on my X-20.
Sorry to divert, but what ‘tax’ did you pay?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-12-2022, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Sorry to divert, but what ‘tax’ did you pay?
US Gov’t import tax. About $90, IIRC. Postman wouldn’t give the guitar until he got paid. Wasn’t supposed to apply due to trade regulations but it happened.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
US Gov’t import tax. About $90, IIRC. Postman wouldn’t give the guitar until he got paid. Wasn’t supposed to apply due to trade regulations but it happened.
Oh dear. That shouldn’t happen (as you’re obviously aware) but every so often some local official decides he or she knows the rules better than everyone else in the distribution chain.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-13-2022, 10:54 AM

Can't compare X-7 to X-20, but my journey to an X-7passed through the GS Mini and Cargo. The Cargo, side by side with a Mini was better in every way and the X-7 next to the Cargo is better in every way (to my ear, nut width preference and playing style, I should add).
Old 11-13-2022, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here are threads that discuss import taxes on Emerald guitars....

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ght=import+tax

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-13-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
IÂ’ve come to appreciate smaller body, shorter scale 12 fret guitars and thinking of pursuing a 12 fret carbon fiber guitar. I would appreciate the GroupÂ’s input.

I have an Emerald X-20 for a baseline, so
1. How does the sound of the Emerald X-7 compare to the X-20 and
2. How does the X-7 sound compared to similar guitars?
Thanks
Gary
I believe that Emerald has offered custom necks for a while now, and while they may not be as customizable as they used to be, I do believe they still offer some neck options. I have to assume that a 12-fret body join with a 24.9"/632mm scale length (like Taylor/RainSong) is one of those options.

So if the X7 is for some reason not what you're looking for, you could probably get an X20 with that neck. I hope so, because I do want to get an Emerald some day, and an X20 with that neck is what I would want.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:09 AM

If Emerald ever decides to create a short scale X20 as a standard offering (i.e. no upcharge) I think they would please a large number of people
Old 11-14-2022, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

My favorite guitar - today - is a custom Taylor TF with Mahogany and Sitka. Combined with the bevel edge, the small body and shorter scale it is so comfortable. The dreadnaughts, the X-20, even the OM, seems unwieldy in comparison. For me, the ideal CF guitar would be my TF done in CF. Somehow, I don’t see Taylor doing that. I’d like to find a CF model that approaches the smaller size of the TF.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My favorite guitar - today - is a custom Taylor TF with Mahogany and Sitka. Combined with the bevel edge, the small body and shorter scale it is so comfortable. The dreadnaughts, the X-20, even the OM, seems unwieldy in comparison. For me, the ideal CF guitar would be my TF done in CF. Somehow, I don’t see Taylor doing that. I’d like to find a CF model that approaches the smaller size of the TF.
I find my smaller Emeralds (X10 and X7) are more comfortable to play than either of the 12-fret Taylors, including one with an arm bevel. I did order a shorter scale (24.6") on the X10, back when Emerald was doing custom work; the result is a 13 fret to the body.

I remember listening to a Fretboard Journal podcast from years ago where the interviewer asked Bob Taylor about the possibility of Taylor making a carbon fiber guitar - I don't recall the exact words, but it was a definite "no," saying they were all about the wood. The RainSong Shorty I had was very close to the Taylor Grand Concert line in body size, but with a chunkier neck. I like that size, but I prefer some ergonomic thought in the design. I find my X20 is more comfortable to hold and play than my 522ce, even though it is a bigger body.

The smaller CF options I'd look at:
Emerald X7
Emerald X10 (and Virtuo)
RainSong Parlor w/ 12-fret neck
Journey OF660 (and varients)
McPherson Touring (the 22.75" scale feels a bit cramped to me)

Some here have picked up the Enya Nova Go, which is really small, but inexpensive.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:52 AM

It would have to be used but the Blackbird Lucky13 might fit your desire? Worth a look, but a 13 fret instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber