The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-03-2022, 01:59 PM

Default Beatles Revolver 2022 remix/remaster

I listened to this new remix/remaster this morning.

I was enough of a musical snob* to down-rate the Beatles when they were still in existence. I had real reasons, it wasn't just "this'll make me cool" moves -- but the one Beatles LP I bought and loved even then when I was younger was Revolver.

Well, they've gone further than just remaster. They've done the same thing that the recent Get Back documentary did, they've extracted non-existent stems from the 4 track tapes and then remixed and mastered the record.

Result: it's still the great album it always was, but the remix really brings out the rhythm section. Ringo and McCartney's work stand out prouder on this version -- and as a person who picked up bass as my original second instrument to guitar, my respect for McCartney as a bass player just keeps rising. This new version of the record also changes the experience of the vocal blends. I don't know if that's better or worse, I'd almost have to A-B, but that if nothing else lets one hear that element of their work with fresh ears.

Vintage LP owners will know that the Beatles original stereo mixes were an odd-ball careless thing at the time of Revolver. Often vocals were on one side, all the instruments hard panned on the other. By using technology to create new stems they were able to have more flexibility in a new stereo mix. Interestingly, the deluxe version includes new mono mixes too, and they sound just as good. There are outtakes/alt version that are interesting, including a nice vocal-less take of "She Said She Said" and a storming full speed mix of Rain. And yes, the Rain and Paperback Writer singles are given the same treatment as the original LP songs.

Anyone else giving this a listen?

*Down-rating the Beatles, was just about a fail-safe test for musical snobbery.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 11-04-2022 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:09 AM

Revolver saw many changes. Geoff Emerick as engineer, Paul's Rickenbacker, ADT, etc.

By that point the Beatles were given the keys to the kingdom as far as the studio goes and they created more than could ever be imagined.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 11-04-2022, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post

I was enough of a musical snob* to down-rate the Beatles when they were still in existence. I had real reasons, it wasn't just "this'll make me cool" moves -- but the one Beatles LP I bought and loved even then when I was younger was Revolver.

Well, they've gone further than just remaster. They've done the same thing that the recent Get Back documentary did, they've extracted non-existent stems from the 4 track tapes and then remixed and mastered the record.

Result: it's still the great album it always was, but the remix really brings out the rhythm section. Ringo and McCartney's work stand out prouder on this version -- and as a person who picked up bass as my original second instrument to guitar, my respect for McCartney as a bass player just keeps rising. This new version of the record also changes the experience of the vocal blends. I don't know if that's better or worse, I'd almost have to A-B, but that if nothing else lets one hear that element of their work with fresh ears.

Vintage LP owners will know that the Beatles original stereo mixes were an odd-ball careless thing at the time of Revolver. Often vocals were on one side, all the instruments hard panned on the other. By using technology to create new stems they were able to have more flexibility in a new stereo mix. Interestingly, the deluxe version includes new mono mixes too, and they sound just as good. There are outtakes/alt version that are interesting, including a nice vocal-less take of "She Said She Said" and a storming full speed mix of Rain. And yes, the Rain and Paperback Writer singles are given the same treatment as the original LP songs.

Hi Frank, definitely digging the new Revolver remix/remaster and loving the outtakes.
You are so right about Paul's bass work, which shines even more on this new mix. Ringo's drumming is outstanding, he is a beast on the the original fast version of Rain.

The somber Yellow Submarine Work Tape #1 shows the introspective John in folk singer mode, and shows how and he and Paul transformed that song.

Got to get You Into My Life without the horns with a fuzz guitar replicating the horn lines, shows that they could've pulled the song off live.

Just some stunning stuff for this huge Beatles fan.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 11-04-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hi Frank, definitely digging the new Revolver remix/remaster and loving the outtakes.
You are so right about Paul's bass work, which shines even more on this new mix. Ringo's drumming is outstanding, he is a beast on the the original fast version of Rain.

The somber Yellow Submarine Work Tape #1 shows the introspective John in folk singer mode, and shows how and he and Paul transformed that song.

Got to get You Into My Life without the horns with a fuzz guitar replicating the horn lines, shows that they could've pulled the song off live.

Just some stunning stuff for this huge Beatles fan.
If only they had stayed together long enough to get out on the road in front of fans who would’ve listened instead of the screaming crowds they knew when they stopped touring. The rooftop concert showed they had road dog chops ready to go. What could have been
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 11-04-2022, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I can't wait to listen. For clarification, though it's Revolver Super Deluxe 2022. The Revolver "Remastered" is from 2009. Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post

I haven't bought the new CD yet but have listened to the few songs they've released on youtube featuring the new mixes, and frankly, I am blown away by how good they sound. It made one of my favorite Beatles records that much better.

McCartney's bass sounds are incredible, and the new mixes with better panning than the originals are just so much easier to listen to. I love the Eleanor Rigby remix, the strings sound sound great!

And don't feel bad about the Beatles downgrading, I have plenty of friends that USED to feel that way. They eventually rose above their corksniff " I'm to cool to like the Beatles phase" and came to their senses

If you haven't read this, check it out...
https://www.analogplanet.com/content...revolver-vinyl
Old 11-07-2022, 02:30 PM

………………………………

Last edited by upsidedown; 11-08-2022 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:02 PM

I agree that it sounds amazing. George Martin's kid is amazing too.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Especially since they already remixed Revolver in 2009…
I hate money grabs too, but I think these remixes are leaps and bounds better. The technology they used in 2009 remix was nowhere near what they used for the 2022 remixes. The ability to extract the different instruments recorded on each channel is a gamechanger.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:58 PM

………………………………..

Last edited by upsidedown; 11-08-2022 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:30 PM

The artists, as well as all of those who maintain control of the material have a "right" to do whatever they want with the material. Peter Jackson's epic film that covers the entire creative process of a particular point in time does shed light on things like personal interactions and creative processes that are both enlightening and entertaining.

My own opinion on doing all the hocus pocus to extract the original audio parts and then re-mix and re-master them to "improve" upon them seems disingenuous to me. The charm and originality of the original work is best accepted as it was, including the minor "flaws" that made it what it was in totality.

You could certainly do the same with the Grateful Dead catalog. After all, someone could go back and correct all of those wrong guitar notes, bad timing, and off-pitch vocals. I'm pretty sure Jerry would spin in his grave, though.

The Beatles were 4 really talented guys who did the best they could at that moment in their lives. Surely there must be some honor in that. I rather like the idea that it takes careful listening to read between the lines of the production. No real need to "clarify" the tracks and then spoon feed it to the musically illiterate.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:35 PM

I always thought the 2009's were remastered, not remixed. Did I miss something?
Old 11-07-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The artists, as well as all of those who maintain control of the material have a "right" to do whatever they want with the material. Peter Jackson's epic film that covers the entire creative process of a particular point in time does shed light on things like personal interactions and creative processes that are both enlightening and entertaining.

My own opinion on doing all the hocus pocus to extract the original audio parts and then re-mix and re-master them to "improve" upon them seems disingenuous to me. The charm and originality of the original work is best accepted as it was, including the minor "flaws" that made it what it was in totality.

You could certainly do the same with the Grateful Dead catalog. After all, someone could go back and correct all of those wrong guitar notes, bad timing, and off-pitch vocals. I'm pretty sure Jerry would spin in his grave, though.

The Beatles were 4 really talented guys who did the best they could at that moment in their lives. Surely there must be some honor in that. I rather like the idea that it takes careful listening to read between the lines of the production. .
"No real need to "clarify" the tracks and then spoon feed it to the musically illiterate" Man do I disagree here. That's sounds quite condescending to me.

Do you honestly think the Beatles themselves wouldn't approve?

So you represent the music literate? The originals will always be around so nothing was lost here for anybody that feels that way.

And as far as I know, there was no pitch correction or anything that would alter the original performances, and I've read some detailed interviews with Giles Martin and what he did to the mixes! And you do realize Ringo and Paul both gave their full blessings to the project? They both appreciated the work the younger Martin did to bring clarity to the mix!

I would bet of plenty old shekels that George Harrison would have gave his left nut to remove the reverb that Phil Spector bathed All Things Must Pass in. Let's hope Peter's Jacksons crew can figure that out.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
"No real need to "clarify" the tracks and then spoon feed it to the musically illiterate" Man do I disagree here. That's sounds quite condescending to me.

Do you honestly think the Beatles themselves wouldn't approve?

So you represent the music literate? The originals will always be around so nothing was lost here for anybody that feels that way.

And as far as I know, there was no pitch correction or anything that would alter the original performances, and I've read some detailed interviews with Giles Martin and what he did to the mixes! And you do realize Ringo and Paul both gave their full blessings to the project? They both appreciated the work the younger Martin did to bring clarity to the mix!

I would bet of plenty old shekels that George Harrison would have gave his left nut to remove the reverb that Phil Spector bathed All Things Must Pass in. Let's hope Peter's Jacksons crew can figure that out.
No condescension intended.

I'm fully aware of all those points that you raise. I'm simply saying that there's nothing wrong with appreciating the original work that was approved and released by the artists involved.

I have no idea whether George or John would have approved or not, and there's nobody who can say that definitively. We'll never know, a full 50% of the band can't offer any input.

If you've read or heard the same interviews that I have, Giles Martin expressed that he wrestled with the idea that doing a deep dive into this possibly sacrosanct material might not be the best of ideas.

I do appreciate that he put a lot of thought into the process and worked to a "do no harm" perspective for the completed re-mix / mastering.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the tip, can't wait to hear this CD on the big boy stereo.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN