The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-25-2022, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
I picked up a Yamaha P-125 last year. Full size with 88 weighted keys. Affordable and sounds great!
Thanks Bob!
Coincidentally, that was the model that caught my eye when I was browsing through YouTube. That and the Casio Privia PX1100.
But I'm a fan of the Yamaha company. I think they make great products and musical instruments. The P125 sounds amazing, and seems very versatile. Technology can be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
It would probably be piano for me too, I mean really learn the instrument. I can play some tunes convincingly, but that's all just rote/repetition. Transposing keys, etc.? Way over my head.

Regarding size/space limitations, I sat down to plunk on something at Costco a few years ago and it played/sounded great. It had three very noticeable advancements that I liked a lot, making it MUCH more piano-like.
- Realistic sustain pedal with decay
- Weighted keys
- Velocity sensitive keys
Which model? Was it the P125 too?

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-25-2022, 12:10 PM

Another one for the piano. Would love to be able to sit down at one of those pianos placed in public places with the 'play me' sign and give it some. Would be good if there were public guitars to play but I suspect they would not last long. No one can run off with a piano.

And Kazoo of course - just for the buzz.

YouTube
Old 10-25-2022, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Thanks Bob!
Coincidentally, that was the model that caught my eye when I was browsing through YouTube. That and the Casio Privia PX1100.
But I'm a fan of the Yamaha company. I think they make great products and musical instruments. The P125 sounds amazing, and seems very versatile. Technology can be great.

Which model? Was it the P125 too?
Wish I could recall.

I grew up plunking on a piano in the family basement, ironically taking up guitar instead, and always thought early electronic keyboards (last century) played/sounded like cheap toys. Very little in common with a real piano.

But the Costco one I tried for a few songs, probably 6-8 years ago, was surprisingly "piano-like." I can only assume that realistic key action, etc., has become far more common since then. At least in the moderate-and-above price range.

Hopefully you're in an area where you can go put hands on some different options.
Old 10-25-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Hey Jim, I know! We have to correct that and do some pickin' together.

Question for everyone on piano:

Short of having a Steinway, which wouldn't be a good fit for my little farm house, what are the alternatives for smaller sized pianos that still can sound like one? Are there any?
My sister has a 70’s Everett upright piano that sounded like a baby grand. I remember when the tuner came over and played it and he said it was one of the most beautiful sounding pianos he’s ever heard. She still has it.

They can still be found for relatively cheap. I would avoid spinet style because they sound thin, and good luck finding a tuner that will put his hands on it. Go for console or taller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendandsnap View Post
+1 same for me. These two that I wish I would have stuck with as a kid. I regret growing up playing too much video games and not listening to my parents when they told me to practice.

I can totally relate to playing too much video games when I was a kid. I mean come on! It was the golden era of Nintendo vs Sega days!
Old 10-25-2022, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

The fiddle. I have my grandfather's fiddle that he brought home from France after the first world war. My mom played it in high school. I don't even know if it is playable right now. I suppose if I wanted it enough to spend the time and money I could learn to play it, but I'm already spending enough time and money on guitar. I want it to just happen. Maybe the next generation.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-25-2022, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
Sitar. I have a nice sitar and took a lesson and have a lot of instructional material. Still looking for a local sitar teacher. Others find this instrument unpleasant or a 60's fad but I am in love with the sound, the instrument, and the music. I know the very basics but want to continue and learn more.
Years ago I wanted to learn the sitar. Then an ad popped up in the little newspaper for selling things. (Yes - newsprint). It was A double toomba style. The seller had been stationed in Afghanistan and brought it back.

I never learned to play it and your note reminds me that I need to try and sell it.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 10-31-2022, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Harmonica......

I took a stab at electric bass during the midst of covid - it didn't take....
Would like to have learned the Harmonica too. Never had the wind.

Bad bass players are in much more demand than bad guitarists.
(Kenny Rodgers)
Old 10-31-2022, 11:36 AM

Acoustic bass.

Always the hippest guy in the room.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

If portable electronic keyboards were available when I started out I never would have touched a guitar. At the time there had to be a piano where ever you were going and they were usually out of tune anyway.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Other than guitar, what instruments do you wish you could play?

I wish I could play the piano well, but I have not put in the time to get good at it. I can sort of fake it if I am accompanying a pre-recorded track of guitar, but at best I'm just playing block chords.

I have this feeling I'm running out of time to do that, too...

- Glenn
Old 11-01-2022, 01:28 PM

Piano.

I took a piano class in college and was increibly frustrated because I knew what I wanted it to sound like but I couldn't get it done. At the time I had been playing guitar for almost 10 years and my brain seemed to think if I could play guitar, it shouldn't take so @#$@#$ long to play piano... Stupid, I know but sitting down at a piano is an incredibly frustrating experience.

Oh, and I have two very good friends who are incredibly good and gifted at piano which makes it all the more frustrating ...

Best,
PJ
Old 11-01-2022, 01:38 PM

I'd like to tickle those 88's!
Old 11-01-2022, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Other than guitar, what instruments do you wish you could play?

Banjo and piano. I have a fiddle and used to play but that was eons ago. Right now, guitar is keeping me on my toes.
Best,
Jayne
Old 11-01-2022, 06:12 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Piano and violin.

I have an electric beginner's violin that is sitting here and our son has a good size keyboard which is sitting also. Learning classical is making me re-learn guitar so.....

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-02-2022, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

After reading through this thread I can’t help but wonder where are all the would-be, could-be, should-have-been Theremin players?!

Banjo, piano and harmonica for me.
Best,
Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic