The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I've been messing around with computer wall-paper and have been learning that not all good photos work well for this. One needs to have dark areas in the right spots, little white, and not too much detail where desktop photos are temporarily stored. They also have to be in horizontal (landscape) format.

[IMG]IMPG9168.JPG[/IMG]

That's enough frustration for now. Can't find the paperclip to attach. Cripes, I've done this before; you'd think I could get it to work again. "Insert image" didn't do the trick.
I know what you mean. I tried to crop these pictures to see if they would make nice computer wallpaper:

Dark seems to work better. Thoughts?
Old 05-01-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
That is a beautiful shot!! Well done indeed.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_In_Tampa View Post
I know what you mean. I tried to crop these pictures to see if they would make nice computer wallpaper:

The brightest one is too bright, IMO. See what happens if you adjust the colors a bit. With my phone snap shots, I often play a bit with brightness, contrast and color saturation.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-02-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
That is a beautiful shot!! Well done indeed.
Thanks Rick! Much appreciated.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:

I think the dark works better. There's something about the balance between the contrails, the sky, and the jets each being pretty clearly highlights, mids, and shadow respectively, and trying to make the most of that relationship.

I don't know if this is poor form but I thought I'd take a crack at some post-processing given your crop. Kind of liked the feeling of giving the sky more depth and the composition more balance, and the cool unsaturated blue gives it a metal feel which seems appropriate for military images. The blend might work a little better if I were working from an original RAW file, it's a little chunky coming from the JPG.

But I recognize it's not your original vision! If this is not cool to do with others' images I will refrain in the future, not sure how I'd feel about someone doing it with one of mine. LMK what you think about all that. Just trying to help and sometimes words don't quite get me there. Take it as a suggestion?

This was done with a preset in Lightroom. "Northlandscapes - Dark & Dramatic - 08". https://www.northlandscapes.com/ligh...pe-photography

I use presets as starting points for a fair bit of my work, mostly more subtle than this one.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:03 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I think the dark works better. There's something about the balance between the contrails, the sky, and the jets each being pretty clearly highlights, mids, and shadow respectively, and trying to make the most of that relationship.

I don't know if this is poor form but I thought I'd take a crack at some post-processing given your crop. Kind of liked the feeling of giving the sky more depth and the composition more balance, and the cool unsaturated blue gives it a metal feel which seems appropriate for military images. The blend might work a little better if I were working from an original RAW file, it's a little chunky coming from the JPG.

But I recognize it's not your original vision! If this is not cool to do with others' images I will refrain in the future, not sure how I'd feel about someone doing it with one of mine. LMK what you think about all that. Just trying to help and sometimes words don't quite get me there. Take it as a suggestion?

This was done with a preset in Lightroom. "Northlandscapes - Dark & Dramatic - 08". https://www.northlandscapes.com/ligh...pe-photography

I use presets as starting points for a fair bit of my work, mostly more subtle than this one.
Fwiw, I much prefer the rendering you were able to achieve, Dirk. Rick’s original shots are very cool...I find this one even cooler. The coloring really works! Personally, I wouldn’t be offended...I’d appreciate that you liked the attempt enough to spend time to offer an another approach. Jmo.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:

I was born and raised in Cleveland Ohio. I've been a Browns fan for 50+ years. So trust me when I tell you. I'm not too easily offended. I even married a Steelers fan. So please... Feel free to tweak as you deem appropriate.

Unfortunately, I'm at work right now and the pictures don't come through. I'll check back when I get home.

Not sure if it helps, but cropping the pictures I took is the extent of my editing. They appear as they were originally taken.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Fwiw, I much prefer the rendering you were able to achieve, Dirk. Rick’s original shots are very cool...I find this one even cooler. The coloring really works! Personally, I wouldn’t be offended...I’d appreciate that you liked the attempt enough to spend time to offer an another approach. Jmo.
What Tom said!!
Old 05-02-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I was born and raised in Cleveland Ohio. I've been a Browns fan for 50+ years. So trust me when I tell you. I'm not too easily offended. I even married a Steelers fan. So please... Feel free to tweak as you deem appropriate.

Unfortunately, I'm at work right now and the pictures don't come through. I'll check back when I get home.

Not sure if it helps, but cropping the pictures I took is the extent of my editing. They appear as they were originally taken.
Quote:
What Tom said!!
Right on, glad it was useful!
Old 05-02-2022, 09:54 PM

Quote:

Oh wow!! That is quite a dramatic change for the better! I like that a lot. Thanks for doing that.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:34 AM

Had a new Kookaburra show up a few days ago - he takes food from my hand already - I feel quite privileged!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-07-2022, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Had a new Kookaburra show up a few days ago - he takes food from my hand already - I feel quite privileged!
I always wondered what "the old gum tree" looked like"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-29-2022, 10:38 AM

It has been a nice late-spring day. Green everywhere. Nice enough to drive with the windows open.

(My phone camera didn't do well with more lake and sky in the view)
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-29-2022, 07:57 PM

Horseshoe Falls, Mt. Field Nat. Park Tasmania. Earlier this year.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 05-30-2022, 10:20 AM

A couple of days ago at Jekyll Island, GA.

Driftwood-42 by sage972003, on Flickr

Driftwood-55 by sage972003, on Flickr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic