The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 PM

Default I've seen the light!...and it smells like acrylic.

I used to use the Kiss brand glue on nails, which worked for a while, but I found myself having to redo them every week or week and a half because they either wore down or had started to come off...I was constantly tweaking them.

After seeing a youtube video posted here of someone doing their own acrylic nails salon style, I thought Id give it a shot.

I bought the Nailene kit from wal mart and gave it a go. I have to say the acrylic nails are MILES better than the plain old glue on types. They are harder, smoother and more comfortable.

The very first song I played, sounded so much better and was easier to play. I couldn't believe the difference in my technique the extra stiffness made. And after playing for an hour they still were the same shape as when i started, and just as smooth...no catching strings or that scratchy sound I'd get with the other type.

Its a little more time consuming to put them on initially, but I can already tell these will last much longer. Consider me converted. I will mention though, the acrylic liquid is VERY smelly, so...having a vent or at least an open window would be advised.

I'm super pleased I wish I would made the switch a long time ago.
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Last edited by DrBromiAndufEwd; 03-02-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:44 AM

I think I saw the same video and wanted to give it a try. Can you be more specific about the kit you bought? There is a Walmart nearby where I've looked for the items shown in the video but I looked for them individually, not as a kit, didn't think of that. I've seen and read other posts about using acrylic powder to build up the nail, is that what this kit does or are they glue on nails? I appreciate any info.
2012 Fender American Standard Strat
2015 Fender American Standard Telecaster
1965 Fender Mustang (Original)
Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass
iPad2 w/SetListMaker
Old 03-03-2012, 05:12 AM

I went the opposite direction... I started getting my nails done by a couple of nice ladies, but decided to give it a try with the Walmart Nailene acrylic kit. I'm not very artistic when it comes to making things pretty, so they always looked rough... However, the big thing that turned me off of doing acrylics was the SMELL... and the harm that goes along with it!! So, I decided to buy the Kiss rounded plastic nails which I glued on with their nail glue. I could never them to last much longer than a week until I started doubling them up.. So now I just glue a set on.. then glue another set on top of the first.. They last close to a month and don't smell.. Oh.. they also look pretty good
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicland View Post
I think I saw the same video and wanted to give it a try. Can you be more specific about the kit you bought? There is a Walmart nearby where I've looked for the items shown in the video but I looked for them individually, not as a kit, didn't think of that. I've seen and read other posts about using acrylic powder to build up the nail, is that what this kit does or are they glue on nails? I appreciate any info.
At my walmart they had two complete kits, the nailene kit and the Kiss brand kit.

The nailene kit had pretty much everything in it that guy had in his video, minus clippers. I have a metal file as well for the big grinding, and then i use the emery boards for the finer stuff.

So basically from what I understand theres a few ways you can do them.

1. Grow you natural nails out, and reinforce them with the acrylic. (what the guy in the video did)

2. Buy acrylic nail forms, and "build" of your natural nails to where you want them.

3. Use the included glue on nails and build the acrylic over those (what I did)

The included nails i like better then the regular glue on type, they essentially work the same, but they have a very thin adhesion area at the very tip. So only about the first 1/3 of your nail has anything glued to it and the rest gets built up by the acrylic. Its much more comfortable than what i was using before. Its only been a day but things are still looking good. No hints of lift, the nails are all still shaped the way i want them even after about 3 hours of playing. The old ones would start deforming after about 1.5 hours.

The other thing I noticed this morning, is that I like the tone i get out of these nails better. They sound more like a medium or thick pick now, vs the other ones sounded more like a thin pick. I never noticed it before, but now that i have something to compare it to, it quit noticeable.

And yeah...the acrylic WREAKS. Although I think i saw somthing in the Kiss kit that was some sort of a scented ordor masker...you add it to the liquid and its supposed to hide the smell...I dunno...its pretty strong...haha, probably best to do it in a vented bathroom...or better yet outside lol!
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbambino View Post
I went the opposite direction... I started getting my nails done by a couple of nice ladies, but decided to give it a try with the Walmart Nailene acrylic kit. I'm not very artistic when it comes to making things pretty, so they always looked rough... However, the big thing that turned me off of doing acrylics was the SMELL... and the harm that goes along with it!! So, I decided to buy the Kiss rounded plastic nails which I glued on with their nail glue. I could never them to last much longer than a week until I started doubling them up.. So now I just glue a set on.. then glue another set on top of the first.. They last close to a month and don't smell.. Oh.. they also look pretty good
I never thought about doubling them up. Thats a good idea. I like the acrylics so much, I doubt I'll ever go back. Time will tell though.

Btw i was just thinking that the acrylic ones looked pretty good too...although now my wife wants me to do hers!
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Old 03-03-2012, 08:55 AM

Thanks Dr. I'm heading to Walmart.
2012 Fender American Standard Strat
2015 Fender American Standard Telecaster
1965 Fender Mustang (Original)
Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass
iPad2 w/SetListMaker
Old 03-03-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicland View Post
Thanks Dr. I'm heading to Walmart.
Good luck!
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Old 03-03-2012, 04:02 PM

I know that I'll never go back to not using them. The durability and tone really makes the effort in applying and maintaining them worth it.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKSM_Owner View Post
I know that I'll never go back to not using them. The durability and tone really makes the effort in applying and maintaining them worth it.
I 100% agree. I wish i had tried them a lot earlier. It does take some time, but its actually easier than i thought it would be.
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Old 03-03-2012, 04:18 PM

I consider myself a handy kind of guy, but I have never been tempted to do my own acrylic nails (which, btw I have sported for nigh on 14 years ).

I also have never been tempted to fix my teeth myself, cut my own hair, or make my own suits ...
Old 03-03-2012, 04:30 PM

What do these acrylic nails do to your natural nails?

Joel

*To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king.* Bruce Cockburn
Old 03-03-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
What do these acrylic nails do to your natural nails?

Joel

*To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king.* Bruce Cockburn
No idea yet...as i've just started using them...but they cant be worse than what i was using before.
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Old 03-03-2012, 04:41 PM

The first time I had acrylic nails applied I let the stylist grind my nails with her electric grinder. Never again. After that, I let her scruff the nail with a rough emery board and that was it. Plastic tips are glued to the fingers and the thumb, and then acrylic is applied.

They sound like tortoise shell picks. They have a solid midrange, lots of volume and punch if I need it, yet are sensitive enough for quiet passages.

I wouldn't do the nails myself. I enjoy having a woman hold my hand for an hour and talk to me.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Plastic tips are glued to the fingers and the thumb, and then acrylic is applied.
NO, NO, NO !!

That is the way a newbie tech would do it (or maybe you are talking about gel nails, not acrylic) .

The really good techs build the whole nail out of acrylic, no glued-on tip, and they use a "dam" or "shutter" to support the liquid acrylic while it solidifies.

Having said that, I have only met a handful of techs who are actually capable of doing it this way satisfactorily ...
Old 03-03-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I wouldn't do the nails myself. I enjoy having a woman hold my hand for an hour and talk to me.
hahahaha nice
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion