The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-04-2022, 11:53 AM

Default ADVICE WANTED. Vintage Parlor guitar bridge

Hello there.

I am in the process of restoring an old Parlor guitar that my mother found in her loft. The guitar itself is 95% complete with the only part that is missing being the bridge.
I can see in the finish that the original bridge would have been around 120 x 10mm. I have no idea what the height would have been.

What I require is a bit of advice, either where I could get one from or how I would go bout working out the height so I can make one myself.

Any help would be great. Pics for reference.

Old 12-04-2022, 01:14 PM

Working out the height is easy, I did this very recently.:

1. Lay a straight edge along the frets.

2. Measure the distance from straight edge to top at the bridge location.

3. Add twice the action you desire at the 12th fret. If your measurement under (2) is, say, 9mm, and you want 2.5mm action at the 12th, then your bridge needs to be 14mm tall (9 + 2.5 x 2). Same principle if you're working in 32nds or whatever.

HOWEVER:

You don't know quite how the guitar will behave when you string it up. The top might sink a fraction (bridge has to be taller), neck might bend forward a little (bridge needs to be shorter), or both!

So, I make the bridge a little too tall (say 16mm in my eample). String up, and then reduce the height (compensating individual strings if I want) until the action is correct. Now I do the final shaping.
Old 12-04-2022, 03:43 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The man to talk to is Steve Chipman at VINTAGE PARLOR GUITARS. Restoration of these guitars is what he does.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-04-2022, 05:40 PM

It originally had a floating bridge.

I'm not sure you have the support inside to acommodate a modern pinthrough bridge so you might consider putting back the endpiece and picking up a floating bridge since there aren't any guides with previous holes. You can pick up floating bridges on ebay.

There's also the option of a pinless bridge, a syle that Breedlove uses.

Good luck with the project!

Best,
Harriet
Old 12-04-2022, 06:51 PM

Put one or more strings on your guitar as in your first pic. Put a tongue depressor or similar shaped piece of wood about 1 " wide on edge under the string. Reduce the height of the wood by sawing or sanding gradually until your strings are at the height you want them over the fretboard. That is the approximate height your bridge should be for you to check when you go shopping

Now you can either buy an adjustable bridge like this https://www.amazon.com/Allparts-Rose.../dp/B004MNEQC4

Or you can buy or make a solid bridge like this and adjust the final height by sanding.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...1&d=1399917958

If the determined total bridge height is much less than 1/2" ,you may need a neck reset

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair