The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-04-2022, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Fluorescent lighting, some, light dimmers, as well as many other influences can creep into audio electronics.

When I was gigging, this was a major problem for us.

Playing allot of different places. Back yard parties, older venues like Memorial bldgs. old bars, etc... would have all kinds of power discrepancies.

Power conditioners, good ones, can filter out allot of these noisy power noises.

I also would run inro older circuit's, with iffy breakers, or too little amps for what we were throwing at it.

Eventually I bought a Furman "regulator". And never had another problem. I could run the entire 6pc band, including subs, about 5500 watts total, all on one circuit.

The first time I used it, I thought my Marshall JTM45 was not working, when I turned it on.

It was at an old Memorial building, in a small town in Ca. I plugged into an outlet that looked like it had been too hot at some point.

When I flipped my standby switch. I thought I had forgotten to plug the speaker cab in. It was that quiet.

Everything sounded better. All the amps, the PA system. It was all so quiet, I couldn't believe it.

Much more expensive than a new Microwave. But I could go anywhere I wanted and not be concerned about the cleanliness of my power. Still did need to check for proper grounding.

When I built my studio at the house, I bought another one and put it in line, so that it charged the whole room.

Especially with digital equipment, quality clean power is extremely important.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic