The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-04-2019, 09:17 AM

Default Subjective Opinions vs Condescending Comments

It's been a little slow here on the "Open Mic" segment and it's Friday,so I decided to start trouble. One of my biggest pet peeves is when somebody asks a question and some of the responses are offered as absolutes and sometimes with a little edge. I'm pretty sure every one knows what I'm talking about. It always makes me wonder why SOME folks do that.
I suppose it could be attributed to having a bad day or something.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-04-2019, 09:24 AM

It's not at all like that. I have no idea how you could come to that conclusion.

That's a joke, by the way.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:29 AM

Hey. I’m not a participant too much here, but I like this subject. I’ve seen this a lot. Generally speaking people take things personally on both sides of the coin. But those who can’t REALLY play very well are often the loudest with criticism. It seems to give them some kind of leverage.

Then there’s that old bromide. Those who can’t do teach, which is so backwards. The blind leading the blind. And most of those who CAN do are too busy playing they don’t have the time or inclination. Plus why would THEY want to tear someone down? What do they gain? Which is a good question to ask of those who do. What do they gain?

Most who can do appreciate the efforts of others. They know how hard it is. How much effort went into it. That’s not to say competition isn’t real. But they’re competing with the big boys, and silently.

I always think good manners are the highest of orders. Politeness is good, especially on Internet forums where nobody knows your name.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
It's not at all like that. I have no idea how you could come to that conclusion.

That's a joke, by the way.
Thanks RedJoker but you didn't have to clear that up. I find that if I'm offended by anything on here, it must be that someone is trying to be funny and I just don't get it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-04-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
It's been a little slow here on the "Open Mic" segment and it's Friday,so I decided to start trouble. One of my biggest pet peeves is when somebody asks a question and some of the responses are offered as absolutes and sometimes with a little edge. I'm pretty sure every one knows what I'm talking about. It always makes me wonder why SOME folks do that.
One most be on the lookout for that widely used tactic here on OM: tongue in cheek. 😂
Old 01-04-2019, 09:40 AM

An absolute will bother me, if there is no explanation, whatsoever, in support of it. And the competitive nature is well moderated.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The answer to your question perhaps lies within your statement.

As a general universal observation and ("why some folks do that" ) people act the way they do, relative to the juxtaposition of where they are at on the path of life, and the influence ego has on their perspective.

Which is actually a completely different subject than, Why we ourselves, would chose to become offended or chose to have a "pet peeve" about how others behave or respond to a question somebody else might post ?? Which could also be related to path, ego, and perspective ... understand I am using Ego in the broader sense where there is no inherent overriding positive or negative connotation

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-04-2019, 09:56 AM

Tastes great! Less Filling! (if you are old enough to remember those beer commercials)

Put two people in a room and you will likely have three opinions, all fervently held by each person.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:26 AM

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats
(from "The Second Coming" written in 1919)

Seemed apropos.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-04-2019, 10:44 AM

Some (many?) folks are black and white thinkers, and that is reflected in what they write.

And, some (many?) folks are impatient, disdainful, and/or dismissive by nature.

And some (most?) folks are pretty fine, but occasionally have a bad day or two.

I reject the old saw, "those who can't do, teach". Many people become teachers because they have an altruistic streak in their make up. And that seems to hold true here on AGF...some great contributors here. It is no different than having a REALLY GOOD player pull you aside as you are leaving a jam and give you a pointer or teach you a little trick that makes something work really well. It is an expression of generosity.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
When I read the title of your thread (and before I opened it) I already started thinking "my pet peeve is when someone posts something subjective with some absolute answer"

(not speaking existentially but just speaking generally about guitar questions) I revile absolutism and usually respond by over-arguing the opposite point just to prove that there are no absolutes.

For example, someone will innocently ask "what is the best way to do XYZ..."

Some forum poster will respond with some condescending absolute proclamation that "you must do it THIS way and if you don't you are a bad human and worthy of scorn and malice"

To which, I argue vociferously trying to "prove" there are no absolutes...

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 01-04-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

I've come to realize that most of what we think we know to be true is instead our individual perception of what we see, say or do. Differences due to individual perception are further enhanced in the cyber world because we don't have the benefit of visual and verbal cues. The lack of cues that would normally help to provide context and meaning to an in-person conversation force us to depend on our own individual perceptions to create meaning to black letters on a page....
Old 01-04-2019, 10:53 AM

Old 01-04-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I've come to realize that most of what we think we know to be true is instead our individual perception of what we see, say or do. Differences due to individual perception are further enhanced in the cyber world because we don't have the benefit of visual and verbal cues. The lack of cues that would normally help to provide context and meaning to an in-person conversation force us to depend on our own individual perceptions to create meaning to black letters on a page....
Very astute and insightful,, very hard to see all the rainbow colors of nuance on a black and white page

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-04-2019, 11:00 AM

nothing different on this forum than the real world.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic