The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-05-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald

Just picked up an Emerald X-10 12 string!
Question to my fellow AGF'rs:
What strings do you use/like?
What gauge?
Any related thoughts would be appreciated!

Last edited by Kupuna50; 01-06-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Guest 928

I have no information, but I congratulate you on your new acquisition. It should be a lot of fun. I played an early Emerald 12 string and was surprised at how easy it was to play and how good it sounded. Enjoy!
Old 01-05-2019, 08:23 PM

I would be putting Elixir nanoweb on that thing whatever gauge that you prefer and 80/20 if you like brighter tone or phosphor bronze if you prefer warmer. I wouldn't want to be changing strings on a 12er very often so elixirs are a good choice.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I wouldn't want to be changing strings on a 12er very often so elixirs are a good choice.
This is generally why I usually use EXP-38 strings on my 12s.

I don't like the way Elixirs shred (or feel). Dislike 80/20s in general, and really dislike them on a 12-string.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-05-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Check out Curt Mangan 12 string sets. Many alloys and gauges available, including coated. Excellent strings, love them on my Emerald 12.

I also use the elixir nano light set.

No need for D-d on the CF Emerald.

Please report back on your findings, and congrats on the new Emerald 12.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:01 AM

Which Emerald? X7? X20?

Maybe different strings apply for each. (?)
Old 01-06-2019, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
This is generally why I usually use EXP-38 strings on my 12s.

I don't like the way Elixirs shred (or feel). Dislike 80/20s in general, and really dislike them on a 12-string.
Yeah this is a pure case of "to each their own" I love D'Addario electric strings but dislike their acoustic strings. I tried just about every acoustic string out there but keep coming back to elixir's I find they last the longest, offer the least amount of squeakiness and I also love the brightness from 80/20's.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:32 AM

Default 12

I’m halfway through re-stringing the 12 on my Chimaera. Trying the Light gage 10-47 Elixer PB’s. I’ve got the same on the 6 string side in 12-53 gage.

The best D’Addarios I liked were the Nickel Bronze.
The last set I’m replacing were John Pearse 80/20 Bronze, which were not as overly bright as the Daddarios I’ve tried in 80/20, really liked the JP’s.

The stock 80/20 DAddarios Emerald put on sounded good to me but seemed to be a bit higher tension even after adjusting the neck a little.

What I’ve noticed about the Elixers is I don’t have to fight the bridge pins popping out when restringing. Seems the wrap around the ball end is a lot cleaner and uniform compared to other MFGs. These are not as dull sounding as some othe Phosphor Bronze sets I’ve tried. Somewhat splitting hairs deciding whether the Elixers, DD Nickel Bronze, and the John Pearse are better. I’m leaning toward the Elixers as the string noise is minimal on a carbon fiber guitar with stainless steel frets. Tends to make a carbon fiber tone more on par with a high quality wood guitar. I’ve been playing the six string for a week before deciding to do the same on the 12. Looking good so far, time will tell if these are a keeper.

FYI, I have the bottom side of the 12 restring right now. Typically the GBE side does not vary a whole lot between MFG’s in tone as most of the strings do not have a wrap wire component to them. I started with the side that matters most. I can give more details once I’m done.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:33 AM

My X20-12 currently has D'Addario EJ-38's (47-10) on it right now. I took off the factory strings (EJ-37, 54-12) immediately to put a fresh set on X20-12 and my Taylor twelve string, for direct comparison. Those are done now, and will be replaced by Elixir's - I have a set of Polyweb strings sitting here. I'm not a fan of changing twelve strings.....

That original EJ-37 set was tuned E-e from the factory, but is intended (I think) to be tuned down to C# or D. Those strings were HEAVY at standard pitch, and a handful to play for even cowboy chords. The X20 did not flinch with 335 pounds of tension originally, down to 165 pounds when removing the octave strings (leaving essentially a light gauge six string 54-12 set at 165 pounds) or going back to the EJ-38 set (250 pounds). There was no need to change the truss rod for any configuration.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Which Emerald? X7? X20?

Maybe different strings apply for each. (?)

The newly acquired Emerald is an X-10

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
The newly acquired Emerald is an X-10

Thanks!
What!?! No photos??!!??
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-06-2019, 12:56 PM
Guest 928

I'm seeing photos. It's a beautiful guitar.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I'm seeing photos. It's a beautiful guitar.
'
Me too...the good ole center hole..think I have a couple
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-09-2019, 01:00 AM

Default Elixirs

What got me interested in Elixers was a recent video of bassist John Paul Jones endorsing the Elixer nickel plated nanowebs after having used Rotosounds most of his career. After playing the Elixer nano PB’s on both necks of my Chimaera, I’m pretty stoked. No string noise, great tone, and the playability on the twelve string neck really makes these a keeper.

I immediately went and bought what JPJ is using on his bass, and wow, I’ve never used bass guitar strings that heavy that were so easy to play on my bass. Some serious solid low end coming out of those strings.

So I have two happy instruments sporting Elixers. Also noticed they are a WL Gore company. I use many of their products for mountainbiking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber