The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-13-2018, 02:36 PM

I support mandating a jamming device in every car that makes phones not work when the car is moving.
Wanna text or talk on the phone? Pull over.

1000 lives will be saved for every life lost from the inability to call 911 NOW, instead of in 30 seconds after pulling over.

Last edited by Tico; 06-13-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I support mandating a jamming device in every car that makes phones not work when the car is moving.
Wanna talk on the phone? Pull over.

1000 lives will be saved for every life lost from the inability to call 911 NOW, instead of in 30 seconds after pulling over.
Sad but I agree and I am guessing that or similar will likely be the only real progress, as fines do not seem to be working

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-13-2018, 03:00 PM

We could also mandate breathalyzer interlocks, yearly driving skills tests, and vehicle maintenance safety checks, while we're at it. Would we allow no passengers to use their phones? If not, would we also not allow passengers to be under the influence?
Old 06-13-2018, 03:01 PM

It sounds like those folks with attached cell phones are everywhere. I was riding as a passenger with a person in the medical profession waiting for an update on a heart transplant. When the cell phone rang it was in her glove compartment. I was willing to get the phone and take the call but she said “no”. She got to a safe place to stop and then removed the phone and called back. Nothing is that important.

Glad you’re both ok but bet your frustration went up.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:18 PM

This is why they are moving towards self driving cars. Its Darwinism at work. Engineers see that its an epidemic with no turning back. Self preservation at work in the auto world. Make cars drive themselves or we will self destruct!
Old 06-13-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Wanna text or talk on the phone? Pull over.

How would this work in practice? Would it just apply to new vehicles? If so there would be many millions of vehicles without such technology for years/decades to come.

If mandated for all how would it work? Compliance and enforcement? Sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare. It don't think it's that practical.

As with drink driving the message should be that this behaviour is socially unacceptable. Back that up with not just fines, but penalty points that result in the suspension of driving privliges.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
How would this work in practice? Would it just apply to new vehicles? If so there would be many millions of vehicles without such technology for years/decades to come.

If mandated for all how would it work? Compliance and enforcement? Sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare. It don't think it's that practical.

As with drink driving the message should be that this behaviour is socially unacceptable. Back that up with not just fines, but penalty points that result in the suspension of driving privliges.
I don't have answers for your questions.
Still, I stand by my idea.
18 zillion people will fight over the details.

All I know is using a car as a phone booth is hazardous tor your health and the health of others.
Freedom is lovely, but you shouldn't have the right to put me and my kids at this level of risk.

When public safety is sufficiently at risk we limit people's rights to do whatever they want.
Over time people adjust, just like they adjusted to there being red lights.

Last edited by Tico; 06-13-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I don't have answers for your questions.
Still, I stand by my idea.
18 zillion people will fight over the details.

All I know is using a car as a phone booth is hazardous tor your health and the health of others.
Freedom is lovely, but you shouldn't have the right to put me and my kids at this level of risk.
You're not free to run red lights either.
Heavier fines need to be put in place along with points on license. 500 dollars and three points first offense. 2nd offense, 500 dollars 5 points ( same as reckless driving and passing school bus), court appearance required. Third offense 1000 dollars, 5 points, court appearance and mandatory suspension of license for three months with possibility of further time for points on DL. You have to hit people right where it hurts...their wallet. Otherwise it will go on.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Not unreasonable questions, And stiffer penalties might work. But unlike drinking and driving (for which one, there are no other practical controls but education ( the message) and stiff penalties) but for which a simple roadside test can quickly determine guilt, that is not logistically nor practically true for cell phone usage while driving. So that could prove to be very problematic and a legal nightmare to actually enforce

Where the installation of an operational jamming device is arguably logistically no more of a bureaucratic "nightmare" than say emission standards enforcement . So obviously yes for new vehicles, and then for current vehicles in order to get the annual registration and license plate, it would be required to have the unit installed and functional.

Seems like those same questions were asked about emission standards were they not ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-13-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Not unreasonable questions, And stiffer penalties might work. But unlike drinking and driving (for which one, there are no other practical controls but education ( the message) and stiff penalties) but for which a simple roadside test can quickly determine guilt, that is not logistically nor practically true for cell phone usage while driving. So that could prove to be very problematic and a legal nightmare to actually enforce

Where the installation of an operational jamming device is arguably logistically no more of a bureaucratic "nightmare" than say emission standards enforcement . So obviously yes for new vehicles, and then for current vehicles in order to get the annual registration and license plate, it would be required to have the unit installed and functional.

Seems like those same questions were asked about emission standards were they not ?
I see your point but we have breathalyzer interlock technology and more people die from that. Lets throw that onto your jamming device!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:58 PM

Drivers are bad enough without cell phones. Just yesterday I had a 30 foot box truck (very popular local moving company) run a red arrow turning left right in front of me as I had green going straight. On the way home tonight had a full-size semi truck casually run another red arrow right in front of me. I think a lot of people think this is just normal acceptable behavior, and everyone's looking at you like, "Why are you honking?" We really need better driver education and traffic law enforcement.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
How would this work in practice? Would it just apply to new vehicles? If so there would be many millions of vehicles without such technology for years/decades to come...
Not to mention passengers should be able to talk/text if they desire. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see a nationwide prohibition on hand-held devices while driving. Hands-free has been around for over a decade and almost all (if not all) new cars can be purchased with bluetooth phone technology.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:32 PM

Jamming signals when using them will keep cars from killing ourselves doesn't make sense.

This phone issue is a problem but when I look at the local news it sure seems like drunken driving and incidents related to violent crimes are killing people far more often than phone use.

I thought cancer, heart disease, respiratory and obesity related issues are all bigger killers than accidents. Something like the top killers 2-4 times more than accidents. Sorry if I'm way off there. If you want to prevent death and get commission for doing good work you'll probably get richer and save more lives working at solving poor life style choices like obesity. Surely phone related automobile deaths are less than drink driving.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Jamming signals when using them will keep cars from killing ourselves doesn't make sense.

This phone issue is a problem but when I look at the local news it sure seems like drunken driving and incidents related to violent crimes are killing people far more often than phone use.

I thought cancer, heart disease, respiratory and obesity related issues are all bigger killers than accidents. Something like the top killers 2-4 times more than accidents. Sorry if I'm way off there. If you want to prevent death and get commission for doing good work you'll probably get richer and save more lives working at solving poor life style choices like obesity. Surely phone related automobile deaths are less than drink driving.
Everyone has their calling and cause. Some may feel a passion to deal with distracted driving issues, while others may commit their time to health issues or violence issues. I say good on them no matter which problem they're trying to help with. A life saved from a motor vehicle death due to distracted driving is just as important as a life saved from any of those other things (not saying you disagree; just emphasizing).
Old 06-13-2018, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Bob,

We may have seen her other half last Saturday on our way down to VB from RVA. Right around the Ft. Eustis exit on 64, some yahoo moves from the center lane to the inside lane to pass a car and then cuts across all the lanes to make the exit. While unfortunate, it did serve as a good teaching moment for my 15.5 year old, who just got his learner's permit.

Austin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic