The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 01:53 PM

This thread really makes me wish the Acoustic Guitar Forum had a "like" button!
Old 06-11-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
My X7 arrived in Texas from Ireland in 4 days! The X20 took 6 days enroute from Ireland to the Phoenix area. In both cases, the tracking from Ireland to Heathrow was pretty detailed, then not much from the USPS until each guitar arrived. The trip to Texas from NYC was about 24 hours; from NYC to AZ was closer to 3 days.

I think the difference was: I checked the tracking about a gazillion times with the X20 (and it missed the Friday shipping from Emerald, so was with them another week before being shipped)... pretty sure that the more you check it, the slower they move it.

Well, it made it to Heathrow... won’t be much longer.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:57 PM

Mine too! The race is on!
Old 06-11-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
This thread really makes me wish the Acoustic Guitar Forum had a "like" button!
It does:
[CAPS LOCK]
type "like"
hit the blue post reply button
done
Old 06-11-2018, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
It does:
[CAPS LOCK]
type "like"
hit the blue post reply button
done

And, you really should add:

Old 06-11-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
I like satin necks because sometimes gloss finish necks feel sticky to me, if my hands are sweaty or days of high humidity.
In case anyone is not sure of the difference between Crystal Ice finish and satin finish, here is a photo of my 2016 X7 Artisan.
It has the Crystal Ice back and sides and the satin neck.
As Earl49 has described, the gloss neck is roughed up to a satin in the final finishing steps.
Thanks for posting that really clear photo of your pre-facelift X7! Absolutely gorgeous. What's the finish on the back, sides and top of your headstock? Assuming that at least the back and sides of your headstock are finished in Crystal Ice, did you consider ordering it with the same satin finish as your neck, so that the entire back/sides of your neck would've had the same finish?

Do you find that the Crystal Ice finish on the back and sides of the body help it avoid sliding off your lap? I'm determined to ensure that my next guitar won't slide off my lap but, honestly, I can't really see how all the contours of the various Emerald models drastically differ from my mid-depth bowl Ovation, which is also flat on the side that sits on my lap, and also has a rough matt finish. When it comes to sitting securely on laps, might conventionally sharp edges actually help things stay in place?
Old 06-11-2018, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muser View Post
Thanks for posting that really clear photo of your pre-facelift X7! Absolutely gorgeous. What's the finish on the back, sides and top of your headstock? Assuming that at least the back and sides of your headstock are finished in Crystal Ice, did you consider ordering it with the same satin finish as your neck, so that the entire back/sides of your neck would've had the same finish?

Do you find that the Crystal Ice finish on the back and sides of the body help it avoid sliding off your lap? I'm determined to ensure that my next guitar won't slide off my lap but, honestly, I can't really see how all the contours of the various Emerald models drastically differ from my mid-depth bowl Ovation, which is also flat on the side that sits on my lap, and also has a rough matt finish. When it comes to sitting securely on laps, might conventionally sharp edges actually help things stay in place?
I have an X7 with the Crystal Ice back and sides. I had an Ovation (not the newest versions) - no comparison to how nicely the X7 fits in your lap. Another small guitar (with sharp edges) I have is a GSmini... the X7 sounds and plays better, and is SO MUCH more comfortable.

I will never buy another guitar with "sharp edges." I am built for comfort rather than speed, and there are no sharp edges on this old bod... after playing an ergonomically designed Emerald, I won't go back.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I have an X7 with the Crystal Ice back and sides. I had an Ovation (not the newest versions) - no comparison to how nicely the X7 fits in your lap. Another small guitar (with sharp edges) I have is a GSmini... the X7 sounds and plays better, and is SO MUCH more comfortable.
The only sharp edges I have left on me are on my fingernails. Even my wit's kinda blunt these days.

So, your X7 doesn't slide on your lap? And it's at least as slide resistant as your GSmini? I'm sure the Crystal Ice resists fingerprints and smudges, but does the rough texture also make it harder to clean? Seeing as there must be a bit more friction, which might be a problem with microfiber cloths that tend to get caught on edges and even on calloused fingertips.

It's interesting how the death of the Opus range has turned Crystal Ice into an explicit (and off-menu) choice rather than a default finish some of us might not have thought too much about.

Speaking of off-menu options, I might as well add a PSA here: Even though there's still no option on the Emerald website to order an X20 Artisan without electronics, it can be done via email, and will knock US$175 off the price.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:

My X7 Artisan headstock has a gloss finish on all sides and the body's top,
the Crystal Ice finish is only on the back and sides of the body.

Although the gloss finish is probably favored by more guitarist, I favor the Crystal ice finish because it does not show finger prints or smudges as does the gloss finish, and the Crystal Ice cleans well (I use a microfiber cloth).

If I order another Emerald guitar and it were possible, I'd might be interested in Crystal Ice finish on all surfaces including the back of the neck. Can anyone think of any disadvantages to all surfaces being Crystal Ice ?
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 06-12-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The only sharp edges I have left on me are on my fingernails. Even my wit's kinda blunt these days.

So, your X7 doesn't slide on your lap? And it's at least as slide resistant as your GSmini? I'm sure the Crystal Ice resists fingerprints and smudges, but does the rough texture also make it harder to clean? Seeing as there must be a bit more friction, which might be a problem with microfiber cloths that tend to get caught on edges and even on calloused fingertips.

It's interesting how the death of the Opus range has turned Crystal Ice into an explicit (and off-menu) choice rather than a default finish some of us might not have thought too much about.

Speaking of off-menu options, I might as well add a PSA here: Even though there's still no option on the Emerald website to order an X20 Artisan without electronics, it can be done via email, and will knock US$175 off the price.
The Crystal Ice is not hard to clean - there are no "pointy" bits to it, more like smooth bumps. I've played some guitars with textured back and sides that feel more like sandpaper... that is not what the Crystal Ice is like. It doesn't show fingerprints. Now that I think about it, other than a wipe-down with a microfiber cloth, it hasn't required any other cleaning.

I like the difference between the Crystal Ice back/sides and the glossy top. I don't think the top done with Crystal Ice would be nearly as striking.

While I haven't played an X7 in all gloss, I think the design of the guitar makes it sit on your lap without sliding around as much as the Crystal Ice B/S. Yes, the X7 stays on my lap as well as the GSmini, but the X7 is far more comfortable.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I like satin necks because sometimes gloss finish necks feel sticky to me, if my hands are sweaty or days of high humidity.
In case anyone is not sure of the difference between Crystal Ice finish and satin finish, here is a photo of my 2016 X7 Artisan.
It has the Crystal Ice back and sides and the satin neck.
As Earl49 has described, the gloss neck is roughed up to a satin in the final finishing steps.
That's a great picture showing the finish, thanks! I agree on glossy necks. Usually I prefer wood necks finished with some oil but the satin neck looks like it's gonna be very nice.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:20 AM

Default New Emerald models up on web site

Quote:
My X7 Artisan headstock has a gloss finish on all sides and the body's top,
the Crystal Ice finish is only on the back and sides of the body.
That's a very interesting (and beautiful) sounding combination. I don't think I've read about anyone else choosing that for their Emeralds.

Quote:
If I order another Emerald guitar and it were possible, I'd might be interested in Crystal Ice finish on all surfaces including the back of the neck. Can anyone think of any disadvantages to all surfaces being Crystal Ice ?

An all-Crystal-Ice guitar, including the body top? Now that is a truly intriguing possibility. The sheer practicality attracts me. My concern would be the Crystal Ice finish polishing to gloss with use, and forming glossy patches wherever our arms/hands are in contact with it, which is what usually happens with conventional all-satin guitars.

Most of all, I worry about any satin neck finish rubbing off. I have an all-satin Martin GPC-15ME with a neck that's turned semi-gloss from wear and cleaning. So, when considering neck finishes, my question would be: which one will stay matt longer, Crystal Ice or regular satin? Any of you with satin-finished Emerald necks experienced any wear or polishing?

As far as sonic drawbacks of an all-Crystal-Ice guitar are concerned, I suspect there wouldn't be any as long as it's the same thickness as gloss, since the polyester finish material is the same.

Emeralds's website FAQ ( https://emeraldguitars.com/faq/?v=0f177369a3b7) says:
"The Crystal Ice finish is our same polyester finish, but applied using a special technique which gives a slight textured or eggshell appearance. After spraying the texture we then hand sand and polish the coating to give a very uniform and tactile surface that is both hard wearing and attractive."

Quote:
It doesn't show fingerprints. Now that I think about it, other than a wipe-down with a microfiber cloth, it hasn't required any other cleaning.

Crystal Ice is sounding better to me by the minute.

Quote:
I like the difference between the Crystal Ice back/sides and the glossy top. I don't think the top done with Crystal Ice would be nearly as striking.
Practicality vs looks; the eternal struggle!

Quote:
Yes, the X7 stays on my lap as well as the GSmini, but the X7 is far more comfortable.

Very reassuring to know, thanks Captain Jim.

Last edited by muser; 06-12-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songtown View Post
Tracking my X20 order and super excited to finally see what you guys are talking about with these cool guitars. Question, it says in my shipping email that there is a number for USPS tracking that starts with an EF. I do not see this on the Irish tracking info but that may be due to it not arriving in the US yet. What experience have you guys had with the tracking?
Once the guitar leaves Heathrow, it goes to US Customs. Once clear of Customs, the Post Office gets it in New York. Then it generally arrives in your hands before the US Snail updates their tracking info. That has been my experience.

As for Muser's question of how an Emerald sits, that subtle bevel on the underside of the waist leans the guitar back into your chest. That side of the guitar is not perpendicular to the top. (121's photo shows that from behind if you look carefully). My Emeralds are the only guitars that I can play without a strap these days. A visiting friend watching me play recently noted that the guitar did not move at all, unlike the others with those old-fashioned perpendicular sides, where the head stock would move around a bit.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
that subtle bevel on the underside of the waist leans the guitar back into your chest. That side of the guitar is not perpendicular to the top.

That's what I thought I was seeing in some of the pics on Emeralds's website, but I wasn't sure. Thank you for confirming this. Just when I thought my fascination with Emerald had finally plateaued, more fuel's dumped on the GAS.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

My X7 is all gloss and my X20 has the crystal ice on the back and sides, I don't really notice any difference in how well they sit on my lap, meaning neither slides around. Due to the design (as Captain Jim noted) I assume. I love the look of the gloss, but have been really pleased with the ice finish too, it's a bit unusual compared to other guitars, so that appeals to me. It's kinda hard to see what's on the back of the guitar when it's pushed up against your belly. I'll order all gloss next time...but that's just my preference in looks. No other reason. I don't think an ice finish on the neck would be a good idea.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber