The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-09-2019, 08:17 PM

Default Santa Cruz D/PWM vs Martin D18GE 1934

Hey all,

I'm on the hunt for a nice D18 and had my sights set on a D18GE however I recently discovered the Santa Cruz D/PWM on youtube...

Which, to me, sounds incredible...

Can anyone here provide some insights how the two differ tonally?

I probably won't be able to play either before purchasing, and it seems the SCGC is harder to find... I have a budget of around $5000AUD, and the aussie dollar is pretty low against the USD atm... but if anyone knows of a good one around please let me know...

Cheers

Luke.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

YouTube is literally the world’s worst place to evaluate guitar “in-person” tone. Convenient, for sure, but terrible. They’re both awesome guitars. No bad choice. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
YouTube is literally the world’s worst place to evaluate guitar “in-person” tone. Convenient, for sure, but terrible. They’re both awesome guitars. No bad choice. Good luck.
You're not wrong, but not much else you can do sometimes when neither are available locally... in fairness though you can get a general idea of how they sound from youtube... clearly playability/feel doesn't come into it...
Old 10-09-2019, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Its true that when you have no other options, you grasp for what seems like the next most reasonable thing. Some people believe combovers really hide their baldness. It’s wishful thinking to think your new guitar will sound, in person, like the one on YouTube. I too wish it was a better representation, but I’ve been disappointed enough to realize the naïveté of online guitar evaluation. With guitars of this level and above, there is no subsittute for playing in person, no matter how inconvenient that sounds.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

I agree with "zoo" but that SCGC D/PW does sound really good! Try them both and see which one you like best. The D-18GE can be an amazing guitar as well...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 10-10-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:55 AM

I've played both. Either would be a great choice tone wise. I'd suggest looking at the specs for both regarding nut width, string spacing and neck profile as a kind of tie breaker. IIRC the Martin has a chunkier neck, and a wider nut width and string spacing.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-10-2019, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

I like both guitars very much. The neck suits me much better on the D/PW and for what it is worth, the D/PW sounds pretty great in either rosewood or mahogany.

But, you really cannot go wrong with the Martin or the SC. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2019, 07:07 AM

Honestly -you need to have them side by side - consider a road trip -
when i was on vacation years ago i worked in a visit with a dealer who had what i was looking for -
thou sometimes its hard to find a dealer who may have both models -
Its a fun thing to do - one of my favorite shops is Elderly -very easy to deal with -
and they have many of the top brands and models ( always call first )
Old 10-10-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

As another poster mentioned, finding a D/PW with a 1 3/4 nut can be a challenge in itself (most are 1 11/16 nut). String spacing on the D/PW is also 2 3/16” standard, while the Martin D-18GE is 1 3/4 nut, 2 5/16” string spacing standard.

I am blessed to own a EIR D/PW, a Martin D-28 Marquis, and a D-18 Authentic 1937. The Martins are awesome, but the D/PW still torches them both. The key attributes of a typical Santa Cruz are ease and forgiving playability, rich full tone all over the neck, and extra harmonics and tonal color. The tone is best described as 70% Martin and 30% Gibson. But the D/PW is not as loud as the Martins...it has about 80 - 85% of the volume.

Edit: Forgot to add that I bought my D/PW used, in mint condition for HALF of what a new one costs today. The resale value of Santa Cruzes, much like every boutique with the exception of Collings, is not great, so buying used gets you into a world class instrument for a fraction of the price of new.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

Last edited by brencat; 10-10-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Oh man, what a great pair of options. The D18 is legendary for good reason, but Santa Cruz really is a special guitar company.

They're both chasing the same tonal goal of course, and I don't believe, tonally, you can go wrong.

My choice is often based on less objective factors. I always like the 'little guy' or the 'lesser known.' Having said that I own a Martin 000-18 stock that is just magnificent, but if they were the same price, I'd reach for the Santa Cruz because Richard Hoover's dedication to his craft is sublime and they're the 'little guy' compared to Martin. However, its hard to argue with the most successful guitar company of all time and one of their most iconic models.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 10-10-2019, 07:52 AM

I was just looking on the Reno's guitars website, and they have a nice D18GE listed. I think it's Guitarhotline.com
Old 10-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I was just looking on the Reno's guitars website, and they have a nice D18GE listed. I think it's Guitarhotline.com
Yeah...it is nice...used to be mine!

Old 10-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Yeah...it is nice...used to be mine!
That place is gonna get me in trouble. I've been talking with him about trading my HD28 on that 12 fret 00018.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
That place is gonna get me in trouble. I've been talking with him about trading my HD28 on that 12 fret 00018.
Now that's funny...I did the exact same thing! Traded my HD-28 on the '35 sunburst version of the 12 fret 000-18 Ambertone you're looking at. Great little 000 and I love it in the 12 fret variety.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:04 PM

For those of you who feel that this soundpure video does not reflect an accurate representation of the tone/sound of this guitar, please educate me.

The equipment they use for recording is high end....expensive. Please tell me how the resulting product is not "reliable", and that I, as a potential buyer should not rely on it's credibility to decide on purchase.

I have an I-mac desktop computer with a set of pretty good sized Bose speakers. This recording just sounds marvelous to my ears.

This is not the first Soundpure offering I've seen with Ryan Cavanaugh. I love his flatpicking arrangements...never heard/seen anyone else who is close in ability. Love his quiet and relaxed presence. Guy can flat out play....

Ok...mini rant over. Please help.

Some wonderful guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion