The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-09-2019, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Default Importing a guitar from the USA to EU - CITES

Hi,
I am new here. I really love reading this forum.
I was looking into a new guitar to cure my GAS for a moment.
It's been since 2013 since I imported a Martin GPCPA1 plus from the USA to Belgium, where I live. Had no issues back then with customs. But I just read some things about the CITES law.
Anyone got some experience with exporting from the USA or importing from the USA to the EU?
I am not talking about Brazilian rosewood instrument. Just normal rosewood.
Thanks in advance,
Frederick
Old 10-09-2019, 07:22 AM

CITES restrictions changing on 28th November which will resolve any issues for all rosewood except Brazilian Rosewood
Old 10-09-2019, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the response. So better to wait I suppose :-)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:01 AM

I’ve traveled from the US to Europe with a full sized acoustic a couple of times, and many times with a folding travel guitar. Always as a carry on.
Not once have I been stopped or inspected, with the exception of London City Airport last year when the Allen wrench for my travel guitar truss rod got confiscated (no tools allowed on board...safety issue they said...)
I’m sure this must happen somewhere or people wouldn’t be discussing it, but I honestly wouldn’t know who at the major European airports would even know what to flag for a possible CITES violation or when or where they would do this with a carry on.
Meaning...even if you had the right paperwork and did get stopped at security or on the way to your plane, who would you show it to?
Old 10-09-2019, 12:50 PM

Hi

It will depend on whether the guitar is through a dealer/manufacturer or a private sale. I recently imported a custom built Collings OM2H, Sitka/Indian Rosewood, from the states to Scotland, there was Cites paperwork to complete but was undertaken by the Collings dealer.
If it had been a private sale I guess I would have had to sort out the Cites paperwork myself.

Scotsmalc.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm kelt View Post
Hi

It will depend on whether the guitar is through a dealer/manufacturer or a private sale. I recently imported a custom built Collings OM2H, Sitka/Indian Rosewood, from the states to Scotland, there was Cites paperwork to complete but was undertaken by the Collings dealer.
If it had been a private sale I guess I would have had to sort out the Cites paperwork myself.

Scotsmalc.
After Nov 28th it won’t matter except for Brazilian rosewood.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 10-10-2019, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the answers, so best to wait a while to invest in a new guitar from the USA then :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion