The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2019, 02:17 PM

Default Incoming l00 1932 12 fret tuxedo

So my l00 arrived. I only have a 48 hour inspection period. There have been some minor repairs and there is some bellying above the soundhole. It’s only 3 pounds so bellying not terribly surprising. What was surprising is how sonically it differs from my 1936 14 fret l00. The 12 fret is louder, has more bass, and sounds less midrangey if that makes sense. I’d prefer no bellying but not sure how realistic that is with these guitars. Maybe someone can chime in. Sounds incredible. A cannon. Like a vintage 0018. Of course sound matters most

Last edited by ndavis1971; 10-07-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:53 PM

My '31 L-0 has a bit of a belly behind the bridge, and a little bit of a dip in front.

It is the price to be paid for being a sub 3-pounder. Chances are it has been that way for a long, long time.

As long as the geometry of the guitar is correct, and all of the braces are tight, I would not concerned. I keep 11-52's on it to baby it a little.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 10-07-2019, 03:24 PM

I think I see a fingerboard top crack offsetting the rosette a smidge. Has that been suitably repaired?

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...topcrack1.html
Old 10-07-2019, 04:49 PM

My '33 L-00 has a big bulge behind the bridge and dips around the sound hole. I still use 12s. Huge sound like yours.

Are there strips of cloth on the sides?
Old 10-07-2019, 06:20 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. That is reassuring. Yes it has cloth. More like gauze. Pic below. It has a replaced fingerbrace slightly heavier than others, new bridge and bridge plate well done, and cleat along fingerboard due to crack (probably from neck reset). Also has a very thin popsicle brace (looks new) along soundhole near neck. My guess is again bc if neck reset and perhaps to stabilize bellying. I found this all out bc just got back from my luthier. He said neck bowed a little so he used the truss rod and straightened. I didn’t even think these had truss rods. I ended up paying 6k which I think is about right. Man it’s loud. About a third louder than my 1936 l00 14 fret. They’re so different though. That one has this sweet compressed midrange. This one is just loud and has more bass. I guess that’s why fingerpickers love these.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:42 PM

Given the age of the guitar, I think it's in remarkably good shape. I see the same top crack at the fingerboard that Melt In The Sun noted, but presumably that's been stabilized. A quick look inside with a dental mirror or even just feeling underneath there with a finger will tell you whether it's been cleated.

whm
Old 10-07-2019, 06:47 PM

By the way, you DO realize that you're required to wear top hat and tails whenever you play this guitar, don't you? I'm pretty sure that's in the owner's manual...

This is visual standard that you're going to be held to, so you might as well get used to the idea now:

NDavis Looking Dapper

Hope this helps!

Wade Hampton "My, You DO Look Dashing!" Miller
Old 10-07-2019, 06:48 PM

That's not a belly - this is a belly

My 1933 elevated bridge 14 fretter. Amazing guitar

In case the picture doesn't come through (never been able to figure this site out), try here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby16...posted-public/
Old 10-07-2019, 07:15 PM

Here are pix. First is cleat on crack. Second is brace along soundhole probably to stabilize it and where neck reset done and where that crack is on rosette. I’ve seen same on a Kroydon. Also a 3 lb or less guitar like this. Third is new finger brace. All else original.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndavis1971 View Post
The 12 fret is louder, has more bass, and sounds less midrangey if that makes sense. I’d prefer no bellying but not sure how realistic that is with these guitars. Maybe someone can chime in.
the placement of the bridge on a 12 fret is closer to the center of the lower bout . giving it more projection . I was also very surprised the first time I heard a well built 12 fret ( Waterloo WL-12 )

there is a device over at StewMac , called the Bridge Doctor . you might want to look into that . before the belly gets worse
Old 10-07-2019, 07:30 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by artis_xe View Post
there is a device over at StewMac , called the Bridge Doctor . you might want to look into that . before the belly gets worse
No, just no.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
No, just no.
any adjustment to the top would have to be made slowly . and by an experienced luthier

but would you like to expand on your answer ?
Old 10-07-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

That is SO cool.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby50 View Post
That's not a belly - this is a belly

My 1933 elevated bridge 14 fretter. Amazing guitar

In case the picture doesn't come through (never been able to figure this site out), try here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby16...posted-public/

You ain’t kidding. Great looking guitar! With age comes bellying. Seems to be a universal phenomenon...and that includes older guys!
Old 10-07-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artis_xe View Post
the placement of the bridge on a 12 fret is closer to the center of the lower bout . giving it more projection . I was also very surprised the first time I heard a well built 12 fret ( Waterloo WL-12 )

A Bridge Doctor has no business being installed on a $6000, nearly 90-year-old Gibson.

A $600 guitar? Fine. I have saved several with a BD.

Just let the belly be. That old L-00 has earned it. It is, in part, why they sound so great.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion