The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislongAgain View Post
...“Lowden” on the headstock.
look more closely. it's there https://twitter.com/GuitarVillage/st...09344914989058
Well I'll be (it's there but......not really). I'll say again, anyone thinking they are buying their "Lowden" and purchase a laminate $1,300 guitar - will be very disappointed. Lowden's are great. Sheeran's are not "Lowdens". They are "by Lowden".

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 09-29-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I believe that many people are thinking that this is an entry-level Lowden guitar - and they are not. Just like a GS Mini is not an entry-level Taylor 912. Completely different animals...
Your comparison is flawed, as the GS mini is not of the same body dimensions as a 912. The body dimensions of the Sheeran's are exact duplicates of the Wee and S sized Lowdens. Different bracing, tops, B/S's etc. of course, but body size and shape are a large contributor to the sound a guitar makes. Likely the most significant. Maybe not the same species, but the same genus for sure.

Will a Sheeran S sound exactly like a Lowden S? Likely won't. Will it sound a lot like a Lowden S? Likely will. If any stores around here ever get a Sheeran S model, I'd love to give it a try. See how it compares to my McIlroy too!

YMMV as they say.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Your comparison is flawed, ,....
My opinion of them is not flawed. I played them at NAMM and....... they're not "Lowdens". You can make up your own mind if you ever play one. Compare it A/B against the Lowdens you have at your disposal.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:52 PM

Plug in a Lowden, plug in a Sheeran...........I bet there's not much difference
Old 09-29-2019, 03:56 PM

If an expensive laminate plugged in is how you evaluate your acoustic guitars then have at it. That's not how I evaluate guitars nor is that how Lowden built a reputation on quality tone. If that's how you rate guitars you will likely be happy with a $300 acoustic electric laminate. No need to spend the money on any quality hand-crafted acoustic guitar.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

I have been restraining myself on this one, but can not any more: If Ed's new deal with Lowden guitars and his line with them is your cup of tea, great. If not, move on with it and do not judge. I hate it when people make a sweeping judgement about the name on a headstock and can not see past that name before giving it a try. Given that his fan-base probably does not have a lot of extra income for a top of the line Taylor, Martin or Gibson, but wants something nice that they could associate with him, this makes sense from a business point of view. I just do not care for how class-ist and elitist some folks are coming across bashing a guitar they themselves have yet to even play. Just my own takeaway from all this.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjop1975 View Post
I have been restraining myself on this one, but can not any more: If Ed's new deal with Lowden guitars and his line with them is your cup of tea, great. If not, move on with it and do not judge. I hate it when people make a sweeping judgement about the name on a headstock and can not see past that name before giving it a try. Given that his fan-base probably does not have a lot of extra income for a top of the line Taylor, Martin or Gibson, but wants something nice that they could associate with him, this makes sense from a business point of view. I just do not care for how class-ist and elitist some folks are coming across bashing a guitar they themselves have yet to even play. Just my own takeaway from all this.
It's probably time to move this thread along before it gets out of hand.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:52 PM

Switching topics slightly what is the “Lowden” sound? I’ve never played one. Heard one and it sounded nice. I’ve played Martins and Gibsons a lot so know their sound. Curious what people find attractive about Lowden? Also wasn’t Lowden or his workers associated with Avalon and what’s the difference in sound on those?
Old 09-29-2019, 04:55 PM

I don't describe the Lowden sound other than to say that when I hear a full, rich, loud, balanced acoustic guitar, the first thing I think of is "I bet that's a Lowden". They are among the best sounding acoustic guitars I've ever heard. Avalon's are similar but still missing that "Lowden" something.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjop1975 View Post

Actually, ManyMartinMan said in post #33 that his opinion is based on his experience having played the Sheeran guitars at NAMM...

I'm not sure if I've read from anyone else pro or con that has played one...
Old 09-29-2019, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislongAgain View Post

hi.

do you recall the woods used in that neck-heavy WEE?

i'm intrigued by new sheerans, the wee size. the necks are all mahogany, i believe, unlike laminated lowden necks which contain heavier (maple?) hardwood(s).

the body materials would affect the guitar's balance, for sure, eg: rosewood being heavier than mahog, etc.

curious ...

thx!

It was a cedar/African Blackwood so, yes, the woods and laminated neck probably contributed to the weight. I am definitely intrigued by these Sheeran’s and look forward to hearing about them as folks get to report in about them.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-30-2019, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
FWIW, the "illustrious" name on the headstock is "Sheeran"...
As well as "by Lowden"

https://guitar.com/review/acoustic-g...s04-acoustics/

Last edited by AndrewG; 09-30-2019 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:37 AM
Charter Member

I will be heading over to Music Zoo to check them out when the Sheeran's come in. I'll post a full report.

I had played one of the full size Lowden's there and it really was an amazing guitar, so I was pretty interested in the Sheeran's to say the least. Then I tried the Lowden S32 or 22, the one that the Sheeran S is based on. The first time I played it, I thought it was great even though it's a really small guitar. It's probably like a single O. I went back a few days later and it was like ''what did I hear in this thing?''. A Martin 0 would blow it out of the room. So would a Martin Djr.

So I'll br checking them out and reporting my thoughts here but I'll be very surprised if one comes home with me.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote from Macduff
"So yeah, they are not a full on Lowden, but they are going to sell in the $600-$700 range from the sounds of it, and they sound quite nice in that price range...and...they will be made in Ireland, instead of Pac-Rim, which is cool."

I'm curious to know why you think it is cool that they are made in Ireland rather than Asia? There is no reason that I can think of why Irish craftsmen are better than Asian ones, and when it comes down to a factory production line which I'm sure this must be, Asians work a lot harder with fewer complaints.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Quote from Macduff
"So yeah, they are not a full on Lowden, but they are going to sell in the $600-$700 range from the sounds of it, and they sound quite nice in that price range...and...they will be made in Ireland, instead of Pac-Rim, which is cool."

I'm curious to know why you think it is cool that they are made in Ireland rather than Asia? There is no reason that I can think of why Irish craftsmen are better than Asian ones, and when it comes down to a factory production line which I'm sure this must be, Asians work a lot harder with fewer complaints.

I think is it a great idea because George is keeping the work, and the jobs, there in Ireland, rather than farming it out to Asia.

Don't YOU think that is a nice idea, adding some hopefully good jobs building guitars to the employment options in Ireland? Especially as a fellow countryman as you are, I would have thought that it would make you happy to know that George was keeping the jobs in country...and building what look to be really nice guitars as well.

It sounds good to me anyway.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion