The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Based on this video, if I were looking for a guitar in this price range, I would certainly add them to the list of guitars that I would want to try in person and A/B them with a couple of other good candidates. They sound like another viable choice that will be fun to explore.

I played a Wee Lowden last year and it was so neck heavy, it was ridiculous. I hope that I get to check these out. I imagine that Gryphon will probably carry them here in Northern California.

Best,
Jayne

hi.
do you recall the woods used in that neck-heavy WEE?
i'm intrigued by new sheerans, the wee size. the necks are all mahogany, i believe, unlike laminated lowden necks which contain heavier (maple?) hardwood(s).
the body materials would affect the guitar's balance, for sure, eg: rosewood being heavier than mahog, etc.
curious ...
thx!
Old 09-29-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndavis1971 View Post
I use them as beaters in case my dog chews one or my son sits on one. They’re hardly something you’d seriously play

Sheeran played Wembley and lord knows how many other stadiums or arenas with a guitar that I used to snobbishly think was a child’s toy no one would “seriously play.”

He opened my eyes to the fact that it’s not the scalpel, it’s the doctor who performs the miracles. Since then I have stopped doing what I think maybe too many guitarists (embarrassing to say me included) do- judge a player by the headstock logo.

I also used to look down my nose at MIM Strats, but now they seem to be the cat’s meow. What I mean is tastes change as fast as manufacturing methods. The new Sheeran guitars may indeed suck, or they may be a revelation and worth every penny.

What happened to reserving judgment until actually playing one?

One other thing- people don’t have less money than before in the US, they have more. Lots more disposable income which also means people DO buy some very expensive trinkets like guitars. Jury is out that Lowden will sell a lot of Sheeran guitars but I’m betting they will.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...ersonal-income

Interesting discussion nonetheless. Happy Sunday
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 09-29-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Jayne, Chris - The standard Lowden neck is a five-piece mahogany/rosewood/mahogany/rosewood/mahogany lamination....the Sheerans don’t have the laminations, they are solid ‘hog.

2001 O-25
9F88E2F4-16C8-4435-B768-23853D756135.jpg

2017 F-23
AF0ECCB8-2C68-40A1-9265-BC9F81B39281.jpg

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-29-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Well I’m not, never have been, never will be, in the market for one, but there’s been a lot of interest shown on other threads here and elsewhere....
Which is something that always amazes me. People drawn to something with zero history. No sound clips, no playing experience NOTHING. Simply, looky, looky something new and unknown "I've got to get one..... ". Maybe in a few years when the shine has worn off and there's some real-world information on them........... Naw, not even then.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I use them as beaters in case my dog chews one or my son sits on one. They’re hardly something you’d seriously play
You don't say what you're referring to here. Whose idea of a playable guitar are you dismissing?
Old 09-29-2019, 01:45 PM

Default ‘Sheeran by Lowden’ Guitars Are Coming?

My cheap mini Martins. Keep in mind the only other guitars I have a prewar. So I wanted beaters to keep on the couch they didn’t cost more than 300.

I wouldn’t use a Lowden like that. But then again given the cost I wouldn’t buy one. Valid point about hearing them live. I haven’t. It’s just I’m familiar with that sound from my mini Martins and at least in the professionally recorded video clips the Lowdens didn’t sound that much better.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
DUDE...SERIOUSLY!!!
...... Ed Sheeran wanted them to be really nice but inexpensive guitars, so as many young players...likely his fans, of which there are many, as he is THE ONLY pop superstar acoustic guitar player at the top of the pop charts anymore...could afford to own a decent guitar. ...
Since you called for me......Now that I've stopped laughing hysterically, and wiped my drink up, I can type. Seriously? Indeed. Mr. Sheeran had zero issues or problems making millions of dollars playing specially marked (Sheeran models) Martins for years. Guitars he and "his fans" could afford that played great and sounded good enough to tour with.

Now enter Lowden and open wallet (Ed's for a cut of the profit) and Mr. Ed changes teams for some altruistic purpose. Sorry, complete bunk. Whether they will be well received is yet to be seen but let's not try to put too much lipstick on the pig before it's even released. This is a financial marriage and little more. I have nothing against a good money-making opportunity but don't pretend it's about making sure little Timmy gets a guitar he can afford.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
You don't say what you're referring to here. Whose idea of a playable guitar are you dismissing?
Quote:
My cheap mini Martins. Keep in mind the only other guitars I have a prewar. So I wanted beaters to keep on the couch they didn’t cost more than 300. .....I haven’t. It’s just I’m familiar with that sound from my mini Martins and at least in the professionally recorded video clips the Lowdens didn’t sound that much better.
Agreed on most fronts. I do try to remember that the "mini Martins" are dream guitars for some. They also served Mr. Ed well until his arrangement with Lowden.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 09-29-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:09 PM

I’ll give them a try...love my gs mini, but I’d like something a little bigger. The laminate back and sides don’t bother me, and neither does the name on the headstock (not sure I could recognize a single Sheeran song)
Old 09-29-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
George wants to make money. Let’s be honest. He is falling behind the curve with these mini guitars and saw an opportunity. .....I’ll be amazed if they’re $600. The listings I see are over 1k.
Yep. Ed's "affordable kids guitars" are Pre-booking for:

Sheeran by Lowden S04 Cutaway - $1,345 - solid top, laminate back/sides.
Sheeran by Lowden W-01 - $825 - all laminate I believe.

These specs don't mean much until the guitar's are available to sample but I'm not standing in line, or even patiently awaiting, for the release of these. There are, of course, a LOT of great used guitars for less than the Sheeran S models. In the end, the available used market will tell how well received these are in a few months.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Since you called for me......Now that I've stopped laughing hysterically, and wiped my drink up, I can type. Seriously? Indeed. Mr. Sheeran had zero issues or problems making millions of dollars playing specially marked (Sheeran models) Martins for years. Guitars he and "his fans" could afford that played great and sounded good enough to tour with.

Now enter Lowden and open wallet (Ed's for a cut of the profit) and Mr. Ed changes teams for some altruistic purpose. Sorry, complete bunk. Whether they will be well received is yet to be seen but let's not try to put too much lipstick on the pig before it's even released. This is a financial marriage and little more. I have nothing against a good money-making opportunity but don't pretend it's about making sure little Timmy gets a guitar he can afford.

Ummm...

I didn't call you out...I was commenting on a post from forum member ndavis1971

You did see the quote I highlighted that appeared in the blue box above my comment...yesssssssss?!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 09-29-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Ummm.....I didn't call you out...r
He was Joking (I think). You conjured "the Dude". Sorry that wasn't clear.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:54 PM

There are plenty of low-cost, well-made all laminate guitars for far less than $900. I believe that many people are thinking that this is an entry-level Lowden guitar - and they are not. Just like a GS Mini is not an entry-level Taylor 912. Completely different animals and the Sheeran's don't even have Lowden on the headstock. I believe if Mr. Lowden wanted a lower-cost Lowden, he would have done a Waterloo-type guitar that came in all solid "Sheeran" models.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of low-cost, well-made all laminate guitars for far less than $900. I believe that many people are thinking that this is an entry-level Lowden guitar - and they are not. Just like a GS Mini is not an entry-level Taylor 912. Completely different animals and the Sheeran's don't even have Lowden on the headstock. I believe if Mr. Lowden wanted a lower-cost Lowden, he would have done a Waterloo-type guitar that came in all solid "Sheeran" models.

“Lowden” on the headstock.
look more closely. it's there.
https://twitter.com/GuitarVillage/st...09344914989058
Old 09-29-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
He was Joking (I think). You conjured "the Dude". Sorry that wasn't clear.
Ahhhh...yes I see that possibility now...man...

Fair point!!!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion